back to article Eye eye! AI could stop blindness, Facebook's after math, and how to get started in the ML biz

Hello, here is a very quick roundup of this week's AI goodies you may have missed. Floating point maths for AI chips: Facebook has published code that improves the efficiency of number crunching to train and deploy neural networks using AI chips. There’s a ton of matrix maths that’s performed when you feed a neural network …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

#Sure

More "AI" lies. It's AUTOMATION. In many cases, badly configured AUTOMATION. IBM is the king of that. WATSON is the biggest lie of all those AI lies. Slowest piece of crap ever, that IBM Technical Support Staff were encouraged to use. And who really wants anything to do with Facebook AI, accept them? Do you trust Facebook AI? Good luck with that.

1. JetSetJim

Re: #Sure

It's not automation, is just curve fitting. All an AI does is fit a curve to data points, and you kinda hope that the surface you end up with interpolates well for any other data you want to throw at it.

It suffers from the same problems as other curve fitting techniques with the added bonus that plotting and interpreting the surface you've ended up with is fiendishly tricky.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ES vs AI

This probably raises horrified hackles in the AI bullshit brigade, but automatic diagnosis is if anything an "expert system", not "artifical intelligence".

Automatic. Like a washing machine, or a gun.

Just a machine, whose behaviour is the responsibility of its designers and users.

Why do I get the feeling that one of the reaons "AI" is such a hype-fest is that it offers the opportunity to avoid responsibility? In terms of both liability and morality.

If this sounds far-fetched, consider that we live in a world where the rights of corporate "bodies" often exceed those of mere human meat sacks, sometimes even with explicit legislation to that effect.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Test

My mate Nigel said the internet's down so this is a test message. Nigel, can you read this?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Test

Yes, loud and clear mate!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nice one Nigel. See you anon.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Coat

As your internet is up you can now start making plans for Nigel.

4. macjules
    Paris Hilton

It’s all in the eyes: DeepMind are working with the Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, UK, to see if AI systems can predict the onset of eye diseases.

By “AI” I presume you mean parents stopping their ternage children from doing too much of what teenage children tend to do?

5. swschrad

AI? ewww

can I just use it until I need glasses?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like