back to article Xiaomi anarchy in the UK: Chinese tat-flinger wants to slip its cheapo flagships in Brit pockets

The most disruptive – if you pardon the cliché – newcomer to the UK phone market in years has finally launched. Xiaomi's first three devices will be sold by Argos, Currys, John Lewis, operator Three, Carphone and Amazon from tomorrow, the firm said. Should those buying options not wet one's whistle, Xiaomi is also opening a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disappointing

Inflated prices and not much to choose from and no Mi Mix 3 for us plebs :( I'll carry on importing from China.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Disappointing

Expect to pay a reasonable surcharge in the UK for: VAT, UK/EU/network certification and, most importantly, UK-based sales and support.

2. jaduncan

F1s are on Amazon

Pocophone did a soft launch on Amazon - the phones are being released on the 10th. See https://amzn.to/2Oyn99Z.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

So....?

How much data will be phoned home to Bejing from these devices?

How long will they get updates for?

Price is not the only consideration these days.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: So....?

If data privacy is your chief concern, maybe don't look at Android at all?

1. g00se2

If data privacy is your chief concern, maybe don't look at Android at all?

If data privacy is your chief concern, maybe don't use a mobile phone at all?

FTFY

1. Phil W

If data privacy is your concern maybe don't use the Internet at all.

I'd bet you posted your comment from a major browser on either a Windows PC or Mac or from an iOS or Android device so it's a bit late for worrying about that.

Personally I'd trust Xiaomi just as much (or little) as I'd trust Samsung or Google from a privacy point of view.

The hardware is pretty good anyway, I have a Mi Mix 2S and it's very good. If using Xiaomi's OS worries you, there is a working unofficial Lineage OS for it.

2. Bassey

They're really good on updates. Every couple of months for at least two years (not owned one longer than that so don't know if they carried on). Certainly better than Huawei who tend to have an update waiting when you first turn the phone on and then.......

1. Phil W

That's true about the updates, I bought mine 4 months ago and I've had at least 3 updates since then, including a major OS version update.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

Woh hou Sha

But then, I already own 3 Xiaomi phones

5. Dave 126 Silver badge

Why the mattress hang up?

I've seen foam mattresses for sale in the UK that state that they need to be aired for a few days after unpacking. It doesn't seem that odd for Xiaomi to advertise that their mattresses doesn't vent nasty gasses, especially if some of their competitors do.

6. Barry Rueger

Redmi 6A at £99

My reasonably top of the line at the time LG phone has turned out to be one irritation after another. It does most things OK, and nothing really well.

If a low end Xiaomi will handle email, texting, some GPS stuff, and play podcasts, and can make phone calls and take adequate pictures, I'll be first in line. I just don't believe that any phone is worth $1000.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Redmi 6A at £99

I was happy to agree with you, so (trust & verify) I checked a few reviews and it turns out the 100quid mobe is overloaded with bloatware, unrootable (temporarily, maybe), and VERY spammy. So, a message from a would-be user to xiomi, or whatever they're called: FUCK. YOU.

1. Phil W

Re: Redmi 6A at £99

That's a little unfair, all the other major brand's lowest end phones are full of crap too.

However something like the Mi A2 is still relatively cheap at £250 (compared to the £1000 LG referenced above). That has pretty decent specs and runs Android One so is fairly pure Android with Google services, maintained and updated by Google on regular basis because it's Android One.

7. bengoey49

I bought a Xiaomi Pocophone F1 a month ago when I was in Asia, it costed £280 for the 6GB/128GB version. It has the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 845, good screen and battery life (4000 MAh ). So far it has been a fantastic phone , camera is very good but not as good as my old original Google Pixel.

The software is good with regular security update as well as software update, only minus are there is no NFC and no LTE Bands for the US. Software / security updates are better than Huawei/ Honor ,Samsung, LG(poorest) etc.

8. m0rt

BLACK SHARK?!

I mean, when a phone manufacturer calls a phone Black Shark how can you not mention this in your article?

Andrew, are you losing touch with your core audience?

9. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Snobbery or self interest?

So Xiaomi are a tat-flinger while Apple are a fine purveyor of hand crafted ornamental devices? I'm not sure if your distress is because you think a Chinese brand is beneath you socially or because you're afraid the high end manufacturers will stop sending you kit to test if you don't disparage people from buying something cheaper.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Snobbery or self interest?

I'm of the opinion that it's double irony and that all phone makers are tat-flingers.

10. Alex Walsh

I've had a Mi Pad 4 for a few months now. It fills the gap between low res slow cheap Android tablets and the hi res shockingly expensive stuff Samsung make. I like it, even though getting GAPPS on it and making everything update like it should was a bit of a ballache.

11. rmason

Actually considering the scooter jobby

I've looked at similar before, but they've been a but pricey just to "try" one.

My office is 2 miles away from my house, it's a lovely walk there, but uphill all the way back. Might be a laugh on one of the scooters, looking a clown aside.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Actually considering the scooter jobby

(1) The scooter isn't actually legal in the UK, and

(2) I don't see what jobbies have to do with scooters unless you accidentally drive through something an antisocial dog owner didn't clean up. ;-)

2. charlieboywoof
      Facepalm

Re: Actually considering the scooter jobby

"If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon."

12. mark l 2 Silver badge

We have to remember that Samsung make a lot of other stuff other than phones, so they to are tat flingers.

At the moment Xiaomi aren't well know with the general public but if they can get their brand out there and be known for good products and support, and keep their promise to only have a 5% mark up. It will force other manufactures to keep prices at realistic levels and not price them at £1000 just because Apple have done that.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Xiaomi the money

Lots of "show me" puns possible, and you used it on a song that didn't even include that in its title.

As punishment for this, I'm hereby announcing that I've just grabbed the copyright/trademark/pizza flavour rights on the following, and if El Reg wants to use them in a headline they have to pay me a lot of money. Ta.

- Xiaomi the way to go home

- Xiaomi heaven

- Xiaomi love

- Xiaomi what you're made of

- Xiaomi what you got

- Xiaomi the meaning of being lonely

- Xiaomi the way

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like