back to article Google vows to take claims of sexual assault, harassment seriously, just like privacy

Google CEO Sundar Pichai on Thursday announced internal policy changes in an attempt to address employee demands. This comes after thousands of Googlers walked out last week over executives' handling of sex pests and sexual assault within the ad giant. "We recognize that we have not always gotten everything right in the past …

1. Mark 85

Eyewash then since it's not a priority?

That seems to be gist of their statements... "future", "next year", etc.

2. Jeroen Braamhaar
    Holmes

If Google takes this as serious as they do privacy, I expect many more enraged protests lamenting the problem for a long time to come.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

If Google takes this as serious as they do privacy

Of course they take privacy seriously - their own. Just not everyone elses..

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

I thought it was pretty neat that employees engaged in a spot of union-style activism without unionising. Less suprising was that their demands weren't met, and resulted in not much more than weasel words and token actions.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Right to be forgotten

Either way Google is accepting censorship due to laws forced on it by other countries. Just because the EU is our friend (well, unless you ask Trump) doesn't make the slope any less slippery.

It is really splitting hairs to think there's a huge difference between individuals asking for censorship and governments asking, when in both cases governments are enforcing censorship via threats that Google must comply or not be able to do business there.

4. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Alert

Very wise

"See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil"

"See no Google, Hear no Google, Speak no Google".

5. onefang
    FAIL

"Employee-gathered data suggests the company pays men more than women; Google takes issue with those figures and argues women at the company make 99.7 cents for every dollar men make."

Google isn't very good at maths then. A dollar is more than 99.7 cents. Not much more, but it's still more.

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

women at the company make 99.7 cents

99.7 cents is less than 100 cents last time I checked.

Unless, of course, employment at Google requires a degree of physical strength that would be impossible - or extremely unusual - for women to achieve.

Like bench pressing 245lbs, 10 reps, for example.

Somehow I doubt that the Men Of Google (2019 calendar?) can bench press 245lbs, 10 reps.

1. fandom

Re: women at the company make 99.7 cents

Yes, it is 0.3% less.

You know, such a statistically significant difference

2. LucreLout

99.7 cents is less than 100 cents last time I checked.

Unless, of course, employment at Google requires a degree of physical strength that would be impossible - or extremely unusual - for women to achieve.

Perhaps its because most Google women are young? The older women returning to work after childbirth will obviously have less experience than men of a similar age and thus will be paid less to reflect that. Companies with more older workers would expect a larger gap.

Worstall did some good work on this back when El Reg had more lofty ambitions than being the Guardians mouthpiece.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

> Worstall did some good work on this [ ... ]

There. FTFY.

And I'm quite sure that if Google reported that White Google Men were paid 99.7 cents on the dollar compared to women, you'd be screaming White Male Reverse Discrimination Wah Wah Wah! at the top of your lungs.

1. LucreLout

And I'm quite sure that if Google reported that White Google Men were paid 99.7 cents on the dollar compared to women, you'd be screaming White Male Reverse Discrimination Wah Wah Wah! at the top of your lungs.

I doubt it - I don't work for Google and probably never will, so find it hard to care what their pay policy is.

Provided there is a rational economic reason for any divergence, and fewer years experience is a rational economic reason, then I don't care a jot about any disparity either way.

If it were up to me, I'd have stayed home with our children and let the wife do the career thing. Unfortunately, she didn't much fancy that when the time came. As a result, I have a few years more experience than women my own age who stayed home raising children, and its reasonable to expect those years to show up in better compensation.

If, however, google is simply paying them more because they sit down to pee and not because of any role/academic/experience differneces, then that isn't a reasonable economic reason. The limited data available would in my view make Worstalls maternity gap concept the more likely cause than the bathroom queue.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"I doubt it - I don't work for Google and probably never will, so find it hard to care what their pay policy is."

ahhh, the old 'no skin in the game' counter-argument.

but you cared enough about the Google pay policy to speculate reasons for the diffrences in pay.

1. LucreLout

you cared enough about the Google pay policy to speculate reasons for the diffrences in pay

Caring enough to point out where the usual suspects are massively missing the point does not equate to caring specifically about Googles pay policy. I don't even massively care about my own employers - My salary is my business not anyone elses.

Doing a comparable role != doing the same job. There's simply too many other variables. You'd probably find a greater difference in salary between men named bob and men named bill, but that isn't really relevant any more than slicing by gender alone is.

7. aberglas

Google aint Google any more

"all employees will be required to complete sexual harassment training annually. "

Any men working at Google need to be very careful never to offend any women. And most certainly to put on a serious face during the "training".

Remember what happened to Damore. Resistance will not be tolerated.

1. sabroni Silver badge
    2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google aint Google any more

He got fired for pissing in the company swimming pool. Nothing more.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was some years ago

That I reported HER, and I got demoted.

She was sleeping with the boss. Silly me,.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I was some years ago

What's the difference between an anecdote and data?

1. Solarflare

Re: I was some years ago

I believe it depends whether or not the anecdote fits the narrative or not (that isn't specific to this situation btw)

9. adam payne

"We recognize that we have not always gotten everything right in the past and we are sincerely sorry for that," said Pichai in an email send to employees that the company made public. "It’s clear we need to make some changes."

More like you are sincerely sorry this has gotten into the media.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

More like you are sincerely sorry this has gotten into the media

"Don't let me catch you doing that again"

"You won't"

"What?"

"Catch me.."

10. steviebuk Silver badge

Everyone should keep an eye....

...on one of the few women that agreed to have their photo taken. Lets see how long before Google "reassign" her and then fire her.

11. tekHedd

We're Looking At It(TM)

So...it's a toss up between "we're looking at it" and "we're listening", the standard "expression of concern" brought out by companies whenever someone examines their dark side too closely.

12. steviebuk Silver badge

Oh that's OK then.

"Google takes issue with those figures and argues women at the company make 99.7 cents for every dollar men make."

Did they not think about that statement when they announced it. There should be no fucking difference surely. For ever dollar men make women should also make a dollar. Fucking ridiculous.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like