back to article 'DerpTroll' derps into plea deal, admits DDoS attacks on EA, Steam, Sony game servers

The man accused over DDoS-bombing several online games hosts in 2013 and 2014 has entered a guilty plea under a deal with US authorities. According to the US Attorney's Office, District of California, part of the "DerpTrolling" plea deal cut by 23-year-old Austin Thompson of Utah involved him admitting to causing $95,000 worth …

1. Crisp

Should have used 7 proxies

Seriously.... Who announces their crime in public and then posts evidence afterwards?

Who does he think he is? Lex Luthor?

1. Michael Habel
      Trollface

Re: Should have used 7 proxies

I would have gone with Willam Gates the Third myself.

I'll let you finish but, Marvel has the best villans OF ALL TIME!

2. RyokuMas
      Joke

"Who announces their crime in public and then posts evidence afterwards?"

A politician.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe it's irony... maybe it's Alanis Morissette

"Who does he think he is? Lex Luthor?"

To be fair, anyone including "derp" in their name clearly isn't making any claims of genius, unless it's meant to be ironic.

Which would make it doubly ironic if that *were* the case. :-)

4. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

"Who announces their crime in public and then posts evidence afterwards?"

It's why the Dumb Crooks web site exists

A 'bad guy monologue' goes along with the other bragging. That, and a REALLY GOOD 'bad guy laugh' (which I seem to have mastered, according to some, without even trying).

Muahahahahaha!

2. adnim

No mention of motivation

I just don't understand what pleasure, sense of achievement or even challenge DDoSing provides.

But then again... I am old, just waking each day gives me some sense of achievement and getting out of bed provides the challenge. As for pleasure, I do like a little honey on my morning bit of crumpet.

If one is getting paid then ok, I can see some motivation.

3. Andy Tunnah

10 years ?

Didn't a guy just get 2 years for literally killing a young lass via food allergy ?

Imagine getting a 5x longer sentence for slightly inconveniencing gamers.

4. Alister

the charge of "Damage to a Protected Computer"

Really?

DDoS is "damage" now, is it?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

Re: the charge of "Damage to a Protected Computer"

"DDoS is "damage" now, is it?"

think what would happen if it were NOT some kind of "damage". Then every script-kiddie out there would know he'd just get a slap on the wrist, and would DDoS like hell, ALL of the time, because he knew he'd get away with it. HA HA HA "for the LULZ" etc..

It reminds me of a book I read when I was 6 years old: "this is what would happen if EVERYBODY did" (I think that was the title). Anyway, implications obvious.

2. Michael Habel

Re: the charge of "Damage to a Protected Computer"

Surly there was some finacial damage, done to these systems, when the Attack prevented them from buying some Digital Content or other.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like