back to article Data flows post-Brexit: 'Leave it to government to make sure you've got a smooth run in.' Er, OK

Brexit secretary Dominic Raab has claimed businesses need to do "very little" to ensure data flows after March – despite official advice that they should start drafting new contracts in case of no deal Brexit. Speaking at a Town Hall Q&A event about Brexit and the tech industry last night in London, Raab repeatedly emphasised …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This would be the same meeting where Surrey MP and noted Brexit cheerleader Dominic Raab said he didn't understand the importance of Dover in the UK's trading relationships? The same Dover that's home to one of the world's busiest ports and a mere 80 miles from his constituency?

You will forgive me for taking his recommendations with an added dose of salt.

Maldon, natch. None of that european muck.

1. Len
      Unhappy

It's that typical thing of sending thick people to very expensive schools. It doesn't produce geniuses, it just produces very confident idiots.

1. John Mangan

"very confident idiots"

Why can't I vote this up as many times as it deserves?

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Have an extra upvote for that.

3. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

It's that typical thing of sending thick people to very expensive schools. It doesn't produce geniuses, it just produces very confident idiots.

It's interesting you should say this. I was 'fortunate' enough to be schooled at a reasonably expensive school (not a very expensive one, mind), largely for the better quality of teaching. Having previously experienced the teaching quality at the local comprehensive, I can confirm that this was undoubtedly of better quality.

However, there was an atmosphere even here whereby achievement was measured not by academic success, but by who you were, and how well you did on the sports field. For instance, the head boy in my year just happened (purely by chance I'm sure) to be the son of the school's bursar (which is a posh word for accountant). Even in a relatively unknown private school, there was a culture of preference towards 'breeding' - in other words the posh boys got away with whatever they liked and were handed privilege on a plate.

At the time, I thought I was lucky to get a better quality of education than the masses, but in hindsight, the whole experience really just illustrates how private schooling feeds social division. The money pumped into such schools would instead be much better spent on giving the same level of education to all, so that those with the greatest ability get the support they need to achieve to their potential, instead of, as stated above, ending up with more very confident idiots.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Len - comment of the year.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

This would be the same meeting where Surrey MP and noted Brexit cheerleader Dominic Raab said he didn't understand the importance of Dover in the UK's trading relationships? The same Dover that's home to one of the world's busiest ports and a mere 80 miles from his constituency?

Yes it is. Indeed, he said he only just realised its importance at the very same event being reported on in the article.

So forgive me if I'm sceptical if he's got a handle on what data flows are, or data, or even the letter D.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"said he didn't understand the importance of Dover in the UK's trading relationships?"

I gather from the Beeb's report that he's just realised it is important. Better late than never.

4. John G Imrie

The real problem

Someone just pointed out to him that next years Beaujolais nouveau will be delayed.

2. Jess

At least Leave weren't being deceitful when they implied they wouldn't bother to use experts.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He'll have to deliver, his job is on the line

Otherwise he'll go the way of David Davis

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: He'll have to deliver, his job is on the line

So nothing much happens to him and he can go back to confidently pontificating bollocks, then?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. He's got nothing to lose by fucking this up.

The EU has been very clear on what withdrawal terms are available and have explained in simpler and simpler words what those mean, I've no idea why the UK find it so difficult. Brexit means sign the paperwork, clear your desks and go figure out where your next meal is coming from.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Yes, that's exactly what I meant. He's got nothing to lose by fucking this up.

He could even trot out to slag his own performance in the job off like his predecessor did earlier this week.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He'll never get an easier job than this. When Davis flounced out, May made it quite clear that she herself was taking over as chief Brexit organ grinder, and that Raab was just the monkey. He doesn't have to do anything other than dance around, go 'eek eek' and wave a tin cup at Michel Barnier to make him laugh.

Trouble is, he can't even do that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, he's made me laugh.

4. JimmyPage Silver badge
    FAIL

If this is the same Dominic Raab

that didn't realise Great Britain was close to France, then anyone believing a word he says really needs to look at their choices in life.

5. Warm Braw

Businesses need to do "very little"

Sounds like Raab's approach to his own responsibilities... so not really advice on which to place to much reliance based on success to date.

6. codejunky Silver badge

Ha

"You can leave it to government to make sure you've got a smooth run in"

To a wall? The ground? The official advice being the opposite of what this guy is claiming. Sounds like government.

7. John Mangan

Complete the next line in the sequence:

"This will be the easiest deal ever. The Eu needs us as much as we need them"........Oh.

"We are sure it will be a matter of common sense to sort out the Irish border question. It's in everyone's interests".........Oh.

"We can probably keep using the current trading agreements with the extra-EU countries until we can negotiate new ones.".........Oh.

"Data adequacy won't be a problem."............

8. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Trust me, I'm a politician

NFT

9. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Facepalm

There really is no hope

With fools like this (supposedly) running things we're doomed.

1. Rich 11

Re: There really is no hope

Oh, please, stop being so melodramatic. We're not doomed.

Only half of us are doomed. The other half will be just fine living off the corpses of the doomed.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
        Joke

After the warm summer and sudden cold snap in the last few weeks, we've had quite a few mice come into our home. Sadly, the only real solution to this is to use traps.

I realise now that my partner was only half joking last night when she suggested that rather than dispose of the bodies, I should be freezing them so we have something to eat after brexit. I could be setting up a proud all-British enterprise in the spirit of CMOT Dibbler selling mouse-onna-stick.

1. Dacarlo

I'm assuming you'd charge a premium for 'named meat'?

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Coffee/keyboard

Damn you sire!

Caused me to waste a perfectly good cup of coffee - I'll have to go and fetch a backup now.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Now you have me trying to work out how long you can live off a corpse (probably depends strongly on whether there is refrigeration) and what the resulting population curve looks like (obviously exponential decay with the half-life being how long you can live off a corpse).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: tbf

https://what-if.xkcd.com/105/

10. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

run in

There's two interpretations of those two words that have opposite meaning.

11. Voland's right hand Silver badge

He claimed: "You can leave it to government to make sure you've got a smooth run in."

That sounds to me like the classic Titanic joke: "Dear passengers, do not panic. Do not try to storm the lifeboats. The ship is sinking exactly according to plan, there will be enough water for everyone".

Though probably, looking at where some key figures have properties and investments now it is more of a case of the old Bulgarian Airlines (BGA) joke: "Dear passengers, have a look through the right window. The right engine is on fire. Have a look through the left window. The left engine is on fire. Have a look behind. The three small white dots in the distance are the parachutes of the crew. On behalf of BGA Balkan the autopilot wishes you a pleasant flight". We could even modify it to say "PilotBot" :)

12. Andy Mac

Bullish?

Move one letter and add another on the end and you’re closer to the mark.

13. Justicesays

'Rather, he focused on the idea that having to use contracts would be in a situation where "politics trumped the common-sense approach to what is in both sides' interest"'

Like everything about the Conservative party have ever done about Brexit then?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brexit...

Only 141 sleeps until the big day.

Good to see the Conservative government has it all in hand with outstanding planning.

Everyone's going to be such a winner!

1. Chris Parsons

Re: Brexit...

and the worrying thing is, some benighted idiots still think they're doing a great job.

15. LateAgain

No Worries

Just don't ship anything outside the UK.

Split your user database between countries.

Ask your Chinese manufacturer if they can ship direct to customers.

16. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Polticians :(

Q: How can you see a politician is lying?

A: His lips are moving.

17. Dacarlo
    FAIL

Idiot

Dominc "Doverless" Raab is a feckin eejit of the highest order and should be taken out and shot along with the rest of the mindless brexiteers.

Sadly there's no one really opposing them to vote for.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: Idiot

Just enroll him in the Upperclass Twit of the Year competition as organised by MP ;)

18. Noonoot

Swap him for an AI virtual Raab

Like they recently did in China (reading theReg's news today), they could send an AI virtual bot instead of these nincumpoops of politicians who don't even seem to have a GCSE in anything, let alone Geography, to let them do all the talking.

Even my Alexa Echo could do better. She sings ring ring a roses really well!!

19. Potemkine! Silver badge

As one of our former miniters said,

"Promises are binding only on those who believe them".

A rare example of a politician being honest.

20. bpfh

Spelling mistake?

“Brexitary Dominic Raab bullish”

You misspelled “bullsh*t”. Should I send a correction request ?

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Spelling mistake?

Needs more 'a's

21. MJI Silver badge

What an idiot!

I suppose they had to use Raaab as most people with any sense think it is a stupid idea to leave in the first place.

22. Extreme Aged Parent

History in the making!

The saddest part of this story is that real people actually voted for this plonker!

And how will future generations look upon this period?

I hope they have a sense of humour.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like