back to article Ex-Microsoft manager sues former coworkers and Windows giant over claims of sex assault, gender discrimination

Microsoft and two men have been sued by a woman who claims that, during her time at the company, she was sexually attacked, discriminated against, and unfairly fired. Sunday Tollefson worked at Microsoft from 2013 to 2015 in its marketing and operations organization as a business program manager, which she expected would be a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe too much?

"Allegedly, she was not allowed the same opportunity to work from home as male colleagues, was criticized for being a single mother and taking time to care for her son or attend activities at his school – privileges it's claimed were afforded to male colleagues."

That just sounds, well... like over-the-top bad. Something like shooting a flare off in a life raft into the propellers of the rescue chopper. Not saying it didn't happen as I've worked with a few men similar, but none have them been that inconsiderate, especially in a group.

In a possible future, #metoo spawns a counter gender support group sporting #youtoo.

1. keithzg

Re: Maybe too much?

"but none have them been that inconsiderate, especially in a group"

Well, it's not like Microsoft has been renowned for their great corporate culture . . .

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe too much?

Were you present when any of the events were alleged to have taken place?

No?

Is it safe to say your personal anecdotes are irrelevant in this specific matter?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting post-employment ban

was banned from working for the software giant in any capacity. The company imposed the condition that she may not work for Microsoft, as an employee or agency temp, and may not "have access to the Microsoft network as a vendor or contractor or as an employee of a vendor or contractor" – a highly unusual requirement.

Maybe it's me, but that sounds very, very personal. Something must have happened there - maybe the lawsuit will draw that out in the open. Something doesn't pass the smell test.

1. Edwin

Re: Interesting post-employment ban

It'd be interesting to know how that works exactly. I know other companies have a requirement that - if you want to come back - your previous manager has to approve your return. Sounds like Microsoft just formalised the process in case your previous manager leaves.

It's not a bad idea per se (I can think of more than one colleague I'd not want back) but of course - as is alleged here - it's subject to abuse.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Banning a specific someone from working for any suppliers on your projects can only be an extremely vindictive manager and HR dept, unless MS have extremely good evidence of the person actively sabotaging the company, yet that somehow didn't quite reach illegality.

Mere incompetence couldn't ever be sufficient for that kind of employment ban.

Pretty sure it'd be illegal in the civilised world, too.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

In the UK, it would be termed something along the lines of 'restraint of trade'. You can say that someone can't work for a competitor or customer for a short period of time, but nothing more than that. Difficult to enforce unless the person's in a senior position too.

2. LucreLout

It's not a bad idea per se (I can think of more than one colleague I'd not want back) but of course - as is alleged here - it's subject to abuse.

The bank I work at has a similar system, and I must admit it is horribly abused by exceedingly poor managers waging a personal vendetta. It costs them nothing to have you effectively barred for life from returning (its just a tick box - would you allow this employee to return) for no better reason than they don't like you.

Unfortunately the excesses of bad management are often covered up until called into court, and then issues are addressed quietly behind closed doors whenever possible. Sad but true. The simplest disinfectant is mandatory 360 reviews from all subordinates, thus both bad employees and bad managers will stand out, and can be managed.

3. deive

How can they even attempt to ban her from working for a totally different company?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How can they even attempt to ban her from working for a totally different company?

They're not - they're saying she basically can't have any dealings with Microsoft while working for another company.

1. PM from Hell
        WTF?

It is effectively a ban on working in Corporate IT

From the article she worked as a Business Programme manager at Microsoft, looking for another role her skill base would focus her towards environments with a Microsoft infrastructure for their corporate services, target projects would be cloud migrations, moves to office 365, Lync rollouts etc. Being banned from using Microsoft resources would effectively prevent her being successful in that role. Even if she didn't require access to technical resources white papers or marketing materials most of us do require when managing projects if the client was using cloud based services and Azure hybrid id's the ban would seem to extend to that too.

With a Microsoft only CV she would be unlikely to make the interview cut for anything else.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly

It will be very interesting to see this one play out in court. I am not familiar with Washington state employment law.

This will violate the employment law I am familiar with for the parts of Europe and USA I am familiar with.

3. Julz

It's the USA...

4. E_Nigma

She can do whatever she wants, but MS will not accept a job application from her, or work with a company where she works.

5. MiguelC Silver badge

Well, they're not banning her from working for another company, just for doing any work for Microsoft as a subcontracted employee of another company. Seems extreme anyway.

6. Wolfclaw

$$$ If the new company wants to keep access to the Microsoft money machine, they tow the line!

4. Wolfclaw

Interesting one to watch, if all true, not going to end nicely for Microsft and going to cost serious money, but they can afford it, but the two male workers may not !

5. Kane
    Facepalm

“Microsoft is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and we take these issues seriously,"

Well, yes, now you do, seeing as there have been so many complaints and you have had to change your current working practices.

"We’ve carefully reviewed the complaint and believe the legal claims are unfounded."

What you believe doesn't matter, it's what can be proven in a court of law that matters.

6. adam payne

"She reported this assault to Eunice Lunde (Human Resources). Her report was investigated, her complaint was substantiated, and she was told that the employee was disciplined for 'unwanted physical contact.'"

If this is true then Microsoft need to get a grip. I don't care who you are or what your job is, you do something like this and you should be out the door not disciplined.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Been there, seen that but....

I may have only worked for M$ for three years but the Corp Culture was the pits.

As far as young women trying to get ahead through manipulation and deception, I could (should)

write a book on the subject, and that was two decades ago, before this identity and inclusion madness.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like