back to article Russia inches closer to launching a crew again while NASA waits for a delivery from Germany

It was another busy week in space as Russia notched up a second Soyuz success, China conducted its 32nd launch of the year and NASA awaited the arrival of its first service module for Orion. Russia: Two Soyuz launches down, one to go The Russian space agency, Roscosmos, sent a GLONASS-M navigation satellite into orbit atop the …

1. Semtex451

In the event it has to be de-crewed, can I suggest we send Elon up in a Tesla to house-sit for a year or two?

1. Oh Matron!

In the event it has to be de-crewed, can I suggest we send Elon up in a Tesla to house-sit for a year or two?

Fixed it for you.

1. Semtex451
        Happy

In either event, I suppose

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Orbital Maneuvering System (OMS) engine left over

Yet another chemical engine. For translunar use. Sigh...

3. hplasm
    Thumb Up

Might I just say...

Go Electron!

1. FIA Silver badge

Re: Might I just say...

Go Electron!

I think you mean: CHAIN ""

<gets coat>

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

H&S

How on earth were the staff allowed to pose for that picture? From the ladder in the background, the platform is at least 1m above the ground. I would have expected the safety regs to require everyone to hav full fall protection harnesses, high-vis vests, hard hats, etc. Or was the picture taken at NASA, in which case we'd expect at least some of the same overbearing safety regs.

5. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

send the Orion-ESM combo beyond the Moon to check it out

How will it know where it is?

I can see how it makes sense to send it into space uncrewed before putting humans in it but I can't see why it needs to be sent beyond the moon. Are conditions different there?

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: send the Orion-ESM combo beyond the Moon to check it out

Its a real-world (or real-space) test doing what it is supposed to do, in the sort of sequence it is supposed to follow.

You would not drive a new design of car around the bock a couple of and then declare it fit to compete in a rally, would you?

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Are conditions different on the other side of the Moon? Are you serious?

The cheese levels alone are potentially deadly. And we don't have the technology to lift sufficient supplies of chutney, crackers and port to counterract them properly.

Also, have you not seen those documentaries about the Clangers? Soup Dragons can get mighty feisty if you annoy them.

Oh, and that Mr Spoon is a right menace.

1. Mark 85

Some of us prefer the bright side as the cheese is all nicely melted and perfect for dipping.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

This is Tranquility Base here. The fondue has landed.

2. Spherical Cow Silver badge

Sorry* to be pedantic, but the intro to the first documentary about the Clangers clearly states that they live on a star very far away, not on our moon.

*not sorry at all.

6. Cynic_999
    Joke

Beyond the Moon? Sheer Lunacy!

Nothing else

7. arctic_haze

Outsourcing

Leave the testing to Microsoft. I heard they are good at it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like