back to article The nights are drawing in. Pour a cup of cocoa and join us for Windows 10 Autumnwatch

The leaves on the trees are turning golden, a chill is in the air, and while the Windows 10 October 2018 Update remains locked in the fireworks tin, there seems to be movement for its sibling, Windows Server 2019. Windows 10 is late. After a brief appearance at the beginning of October, replete with confident tweets that the …

1. hplasm
    Devil

Autumnwatch might come to an end.

A watched turd never rots...

2. riparian zone

Assistive technology be damned...again?

I'm more than a tad worried that my clients running win 10 and (expensive) screenreading/magnification software such as Dolphin Supernova will have to pay for another upgrade. This happens with depressing regularity. I'm not sure which upgrade it was, but one client having a longer-than-usual wait from a darkened screen switched the box off, from the mains. There were tears after the box was completely busted. Mind you, its the magnification that the dividend is for, there are suitable screen reading apps that read out perfectly well... and there I was reading the post from MS and their disability lead (who used to be my boss in another life) touting their accessibility credentials. Aye, if you can afford it....and why is MS making assistive apps for Apple?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Assistive technology be damned...again?

"and (expensive) screenreading/magnification software such as Dolphin Supernova"

For which the support and maintenance fee to get update entitlements costs the exact same per year regardless of how many screwups Microsoft release, no?

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

Still some time to buy popcorn then . . .

4. Khaptain Silver badge

If it's not ready, don't release it

The marketing Id10ts might want the release but they are probably the only people on the planet that really care....

Everyone else just wants stuff that works without sending entire IT Departments up in arms...

On a daily basis we have enough to deal with without repairing the one element that really needs to just work...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If it's not ready, don't release it

Went to the Windows 10 update rally the other day...

It was uneventful, yet the lack of change had everyone real pleased.

2. LRO(EX)

In which case nothing from Micrsteal would ever have been released. Has any of their Windoze software worked first time “out of the box” ?

1. katrinab Silver badge

Windows 2000 wasn't too bad. Certainly a vast improvement on Windows 98.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Action

At least the real Autumnwatch presenters can say "Nothing is happening at the nest site at the moment, but here is some action we filmed earlier today".

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: Action

The MS Autumnwatch has video of people running around like headless chickens screaming, "My files, my files!"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Even Bill Gates thinks W10 is a load of shit

1. Usermane

Maybe he need more for making drinking water.

7. arctic_haze

Win 10 vs Soyuz debacle

The latest Win 10 edition had a setback on the scale of the Russian Soyuz program. Russia wants to send successfully three Soyuz rockets before it starts to test the device on humans, again. Shuldn't Microsoft be at least equally careful?

8. BobChip
    FAIL

Windowswatching?

Don't think I will bother. Past performance is more than sufficient to predict what watchers will see. I'll rely on El Reg to let me know if anything spectacular happens - like it actually working, for example

9. Mark 85
    Coat

Testers?

Maybe the delay is because Microsoft has to hire back their Test Department? I know, I'm dreaming.. why pay staff when customers will do it for you.. I'll get my coat.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Yep

Windows isn't done until Chrome won't run!

11. Adair Silver badge
    Linux

sudo

sudo apt update

apt upgrade

How often does this (or its GUI/automatic equivalent) fall flat on it's face?

Happily, very rarely.

So, it is possible to do updates/upgrades in a sane and reliable manner.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Happy

Re: sudo

Or if you have FreeBSD, just

sudo pkg upgrade

It automatically does the update bit first.

1. Teiwaz

Or if you have FreeBSD, just

sudo pkg upgrade

It automatically does the update bit first.

Wow!!! Super-powers then.

A lot of debian users do sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

On Archlinux, it's just sudo pacman -Syu

Hey, lets have a contest....

1. katrinab Silver badge

Yes, I do the same on Debian. Just a little bit less typing.

Also, no systemd.

2. Steve 114
      Facepalm

Simple incantations from the forever-non-obvious Book of Spells. When there's a GUI for that, Linux might just be ready for my cousins' desktops. They haven't needed DOS for decades.

1. Adair Silver badge

But there is a GUI, several in fact! There is a choice, and has been for years, but for those who like 'casting spells', that is also an effective option.

But it's not about the UI, it's about the fact that the spell, however it is unleashed, reliably updates not just the OS but every bit of software that has an update issued.

As I said, updating/upgrading in a sane and reliable way is possible. Perhaps MS should try harder. :-P

3. BobChip
      Linux

Quite so. No basic system update has ever, in six years of continuous use, borked my system. or taken more than a few minutes to complete.

Suits me very well, thank you.

Icon, because you already knew without being asked.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like