back to article Fight AI with AI! Code taught to finger naughty deepfake vids made by machine-learning algos

The rise of AI systems that can generate fake images and videos has spurred researchers in the US to develop a technique to sniff out these cyber-shams, also known as deepfakes. Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs) are commonly used for creative purposes. These neural networks have helped researchers create made-up data to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GANs

So if they open up their codebase we can expect the deepfakes community to use this system to refine their own system to make it harder to detect deepfakes?

(They're called Generative Adversarial Networks - look it up)

2. onefang

If one of the things they are looking for is the lower resolution of the fakes, then it might be as simple as using ever higher resolution original images to feed into the faking software. Something I learned in my video editing days, if you have to use source material that has been through lossy compression, start with the highest resolution you can get. Better to not use source material compressed that way though.

3. frank ly

Fake Deepfakes

"Next, they warped and twisted the facial features in the images to mimic the eerie effects often seen in deepfake vids."

So, they made a system that detects their own fake deepfake videos. Did they test the final product with real deepfakes?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: frank ly

"Did they test the final product with real deepfakes?"

Yes, see the paper. They tested it against DeepFake-generated videos including a fake one of Nic Cage as Harrison Ford from YouTube (fig 6). It correctly pointed out the Nic Cage one as fake.

As the article points out, it's not perfect as it's built from their carefully curated dataset, and needs to be tested against a much wider set of forged videos.

C.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It correctly pointed out the Nic Cage one as fake.

I would be more interested on what does it say about the Moff Tarkin sequences and the Leya closing sequence from Rogue 1. These were produced using an identical method, but using proper high-res source images.

If it can detect Moff's appearances as fake we have a winner.

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

That's not a fair. These days I generally classify the real Nic Cage as a fake.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like