back to article UK banking TITSUP*: This time it's Clydesdale and Yorkshire banks

Clydesdale and Yorkshire bank users have been unable to log in to their accounts or see transactions today, thanks to a non-specific “technical issue”. Users took to social media to complain about the unscheduled downtime that has affected mobile, telephone and internet banking since around 0830 GMT this morning. The bank, …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Clydesdal...

..."working on a fix, which one Twitter user imagined thus:"

Disappointment. I was expecting something more like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq_LX8HXg4c

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Internet de-banking

What a surprise! Can anyone point to a software service that has ever been able to support 100% uptime?

{printf("Hello, Banking"); return -1;}

Opps!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Quite amusing

Someone I know pretty well has banked with the Clydesdale since they had a bank account. They were so pissed off with the new online banking thingy, I think because it made setting up new payees painful in some stupid way (the existing OTP device apparently was not enough, you needed one which sent a small payment in the form of a shard chipped from your soul to The DevilMark Zuckerberg every time you used it or something), that they're in the process of moving everything. Turns out to have been the right decision.

(Not, of course, that I wish to imply that Mark Zuckerberg is in any way satanic, you understand.)

4. 0laf
    Black Helicopters

Me other half works for the banks and they are apparently just a group of small warring tribes held under the rule of executives who would make the boardroom of Robocop's OCP look like morally upstanding philanthropists.

And generally everyone who works for the bank hates working for the bank.

1. Captain Scarlet
      Mushroom

So basically like working for any medium/large/multi national company (Thats my experience, currently the warring tribe I work with competes with people trying to outsource us further and the existing outsourced tribes).

5. Rasczak

CYBG say, "Service is available in branches and across our ATM network.". Afraid not, after having my card declined at a store, I went to a branch, lucky I was in the town that hadn't had their branch closed, and they could do nothing either as they couldn't get balances so couldn't do anything else. ATMs were giving a message that I had reached the transaction limit on a larger withdrawal, when I hadn't taken anything out at all, though I was able to take out multiple small amounts OK. Seemed to be sorted for me about 13:30.

6. chivo243 Silver badge
    Go

Their on schedule

seems the banking industry rolling stress test is is on schedule and continuing... wonder when they'll be done?

7. Laughing Gravy

I work for CYBG

Off today and tomorrow on leave and only found out about this reading about it here. Not been called into work so far so it wasn't anything I did

1. Dabooka
      Happy

Re: I work for CYBG

Either that or it was something you've done and you'll be getting a call not to go in Monday either...

1. Laughing Gravy
        Happy

Re: I work for CYBG

My phone's on silent...

All of the projects I've been responsible for could have hit the news had they gone wrong and the backout failed. I think I know what's happened but I'm not gonna speculate here

8. Oh Homer
    Paris Hilton

"export to MSMoney"?!?

Why the hell are they using personal finance software that was abandoned nearly a decade ago?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "export to MSMoney"?!?

GnuCash is where it's at these days (seriously: it's a nice bit of software).

2. Dabooka

Re: "export to MSMoney"?!?

Isn't MS Money just a convenient interchangeable format nowadays?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Barclaycard payment services went down for several hours this AM as well.

Not sure if they're a wrapper for CYBG's services.

10. scrubber

This company's CTO said they were buying off the shelf software because "we're not a technology company." I resigned the next day.

11. J.G.Harston Silver badge

YorksBank's online banking was just fine, then they WindowsSlabbed it, killing the usability. It used to have numbers in neat columns, y'know, like a display of financial information. Now everything's all over the place.

12. Jtom

And this is why I have accounts in three different banks; VISA, MasterCard, and Discover credit cards; and substantial cash in my safe. If everything hits the fan, I’m holding physical gold, silver, and copper.

The last thing I want is to be dependent on government during a time of crisis.

I am the crusty old man down the street, driving a seventeen year old car (in excellent running condition). You aren’t going to find me if that day comes. There are many of us conservative, rich old farts flying under the radar, living a good life, worry-free of what the future may bring.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "worry-free of what the future may bring"

As long as the situation remains globally unchanged, you mean. A massive devaluation, a global famine or a zombie apocalypse and you gonna be worryin' again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon