back to article Xiaomi waggles Mi MIX 3, the first smartphone packing 10GB RAM

Ahead of the company's impending UK launch, Xiaomi has broken new ground with the first 10GB RAM smartphone in China. The Mi MIX 3 was unveiled yesterday and features the novel camera slider Xiaomi has used before, which reveals the front-facing camera, therefore doing away with the need for a cutout or "Notch". A magnetic …

1. Joe W Silver badge

Yeah, no formaldehyde

but how much RAM does the mattress have?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Yeah, no formaldehyde

That depends on how often you take sheep to bed with you...

1. Danny 14

sounds a bit of a woolly answer to me.

2. Shadow Systems

Oh dear lord, that was an excrutiatingly ba-aa-aa-aad pun.

I approve! =-D

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Coat

Oi! Ewe can flock right off, if you're going to bleat about my baaa'd puns!

2. matjaggard

Umbrella

But do they sell an umbrella under the Mi umbrella brand?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Umbrella

Do they stock shrubberies ... oh, sorry that was Ni rather than Mi

2. Mr Humbug

Umbrella

> But do they sell an umbrella under the Mi umbrella brand?

Yes, they do

https://www.banggood.com/Original-Xiaomi-90-Fun-Portable-Umbrella-Anti-UV-Umbrella-Waterproof-Three-Folding-Umbrella-p-1332976.html?rmmds=search&ID=224&cur_warehouse=CN

3. Someone Else Silver badge
    Pint

And you thought...

Haven't read the article yet, but those of us of a certain age have got to love the sub-head. Thanks, Andrew.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: And you thought...

Many years ago, I remember drooling over a 1GB HDD. (This was a full-height 5.25" HDD!)

2. grumpy-old-person

Re: And you thought...

Ah, yes.

The visionary Bill Gates - also pooh-poohed the Internet iirc!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Read the last bit

What you're looking at there is why they do well and we fail. Large companies nurture smaller ones to the greater good of the economy, rather than shafting them with late payment and attempts at price cits as here. The Enterprises of He Who Must Not Be Named (till Peter Hain did it) are a fine example of what is wrong with the British economic setup.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Read the last bit

Go on then, provide your evidence that Xiaomi don't try and defer payments as long as possible, nor inflict price cuts on those companies over which they have leverage.

I've worked for a range of UK companies who make equity investments in smaller companies, and in no case did it stop the larger company being avaricious bastards. Personally, until any evidence to the contrary is provided, I'll choose to believe that Xiaomi are like any other commercial concern - obsessed by cash flow.

5. Dave 126 Silver badge

Xiaomi's Apple Watch clone is mechanical

No joke:

https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/04/26/the-ciga-design-mechanical-round-watch-is-xiaomis-latest-crowdfunding-product/

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

Re: Xiaomi's Apple Watch clone is mechanical

They make a lot of products, as the article says, their mechanical watch isn't competing with Apple, they have watches in the Amazfit and Mijia ranges to do that, here's an example;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazfit-Smartwatch-Bluetooth-Monitor-Waterproof/dp/B07919KHVT

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Xiaomi's Apple Watch clone is mechanical

I didn't say Xiaomi's mechanical watch was competing with Apple - it's just a time piece. It does look like an Apple watch though.

The interesting thing is what the article said - Xiaomi crowdfunded it, and backers have the added confidence that the parent company has a decade's experience of bringing products to market.

6. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Impressive

This is the first Xiaomi phone I've seent that I find interesting. Having read the description on the Xiaomi website I'm impressed not just by what they've crammed into the device, but the thought they've put into it:

he full-screen slider is fully customizable. Users can slide open the phone to answer calls or customize it to launch different functions.

Are you listening Apple? Instead of a style-driven notch that has led to Apple demanding CSS extensions, they've put some thought into how people might use a bevelless phone. I think particularly the sliding to answer will be popular. Yes, it places higher demands on the mechanics and I'm perfectly happy to stick with a bezel but this has the "Kirk, here" aspect of simplicity of the Razr and the Nokia banana phone and not "you will love the compromise we've come up with".

Looking forward to a review of this when it becomes available.

7. To Mars in Man Bras!
    Thumb Down

Large Objects of No Desire

Maybe I've just reached that awkward age, but the more advanced phone technology gets, the less I want to upgrade:

Stupidly big screens, notches, fingerprint scanners, idiotic multiple-cameras, eavesdropping AI, press-sensitive screens, pointless 'premium' materials. Every one of the latest fads is something I'd actively NOT want on any phone I was considering buying.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like