back to article Bitbucket wobbles but it won't fall. Oh, snap...

Hey developers! Thinking of stomping off in a huff to Bitbucket when Microsoft finally closes the GitHub deal? Well... repair GitHub.com freezes up as techies race to fix dead data storage gear READ MORE After a few weeks of tottering like a drunk balancing on a traffic cone, code hosting service Bitbucket demonstrated that …

1. Jusme

♫ Bitbuckets wobble but they don't fall down ♫

1. DropBear

♫...I get knocked down

but I get up again...♫

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I don't really mind, but…

I'm generally pretty happy with the availablity on BitBucket but when it's flaky there is so little information. But statements like the following are unlikely to inspire confidence:

We were seeing elevated error rates on Bitbucket. We have rolled back a change that may have caused the issue, and will continue to monitor

Are they taking lessons from Microsoft and have given up testing?

1. macjules

Re: I don't really mind, but…

If you think BitBucket has problems then try the 'new', 'improved' Jira then. It is slow as hell, unresponsive and it has taken me around 2 weeks to work out where all the administration tools are now kept. This pretty much without any assistance from Atlassian, or where their help systems are still not updated.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: I don't really mind, but…

I reported that webhooks were down on Monday and finally got a response today. Apparently some things are down to me not using the new source code viewer. I did try it but any page that needs around 7 MB of Javascript to load is doing it wrong.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

If you think BitBucket has problems then try the 'new', 'improved' Jira then. It is slow as hell, unresponsive

Oh dear, it's been appified as well has it? I'm not per se against the convergence of web and apps (actually I'm pretty keen) but developers should sometimes be given slower computers with shitty connections to try their stuff before they release it.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"and are seriously considering other options"

Sure you are. Because there are sooo many other options, right ?

Well if there are, what are you waiting for ? Move already !

1. d3vy

Re: "and are seriously considering other options"

Visual studio online (or whatever the name of the week is) has a pretty good git service and afaik hasn't had any outages (none that I've noticed anyway) in the last few years...

Maybe they could move to that?!

1. Quando
        Alert

Ha ha ha ha.

Azure Dev Ops as they are calling it this week is the only thing that has made me pine for JIRA/Confluence. The git part of it might be ok but the rest is super shite.

Wiki that won’t export pages.

Can’t get a notification when a wiki page changes.

Task item editing that needs a save button (hello floppy disk icon...) to keep changes.

Pipeline pages that have changed format about three times in the 5 months I’ve been forced to use this shite.

And they are promising/threatening another big UI change any time now.

Avoid at all costs (and it isn’t even cheap....)

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Wiki that won’t export pages.

Can’t get a notification when a wiki page changes.

Eh? I don't use Confluence a lot, but I've written a few dozen pages in it over the past couple of years. When I've needed to export pages, the Export to PDF and Export to Word (ugh) have worked for me. And I have no problems getting notifications.

I prefer MediaWiki, because I don't care for hand-holding "rich" editors that mostly just get in my damn way. But I'd rather use Confluence than some of the alternatives, such as the festering abomination that is Sharepoint.

5. d3vy

That first image..

Anyone who sees internal server error and thinks it's a problem with the internet being down isn't a developer.

Also anyone who refers to their internet connection as "my internet" shouldn't be allowed to work in IT.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

because only native English speakers should be allowed to work in IT, right? right....

1. d3vy

Nothing to do with it I'm afraid...

Nice try though.

2. Korev Silver badge

Also anyone who refers to their internet connection as "my internet" shouldn't be allowed to work in IT.

I once worked at a place where the head of IT was the boss' brother, his knowledge of computers was shall we say PHB-like. He once emailed the company saying that he'd "fixed the Internet" implying he'd sorted the while thing :)

6. JohnFen

When will devs learn?

Never be so dependent on a service that you can't keep working when it goes down. You'd think that devs would know this better than anybody.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: When will devs learn?

If only this were up to the developers.

I admit I can do significant work when I don't have a connection to the corporate network (and/or to the Internet). I can't do things like commit code, though, which makes me nervous about doing a lot of it.

And, of course, there are some services that I'm quite dependent on for writing code, such as a working computer. I have drafted code with pen & paper, but it's not an efficient process.

In the midst of a major tech fail, I generally do research, catching up on back issues of journals and the like. That is work - it improves my value for the company - but it doesn't provide any progress on product releases or fix bugs.

7. Terafirma-NZ

Just a nap

Gee, I wish when one of my internal hosted systems had an issue I would use nice words from marketing like "just taking a nap" or "have a quick coffee break".

You know things that humans can relate with so as not to stoke frustration. Somehow as it's cloud it is allowed a break and that's ok but my hard working gear is not.

Usual outsourcing story huh, be it people or systems.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like