back to article Grumbling about wobbly Windows 10? Microsoft can't hear you over the clanging cash register

If Microsoft is sweating from the heat it's taking on Windows 10 release quality, its financial figures certainly aren't showing it. Virtually every part of the Redmond giant's major businesses reported a gain as Microsoft turned in a record FY 2019 first quarter on Wednesday. For the three months to September 30, its GAAP …

1. jake Silver badge

Conditioning.

"the heat it's taking on Windows 10 release quality"

Near as I can tell, that isn't happening. Windows users have gotten so used to crap code that they think it's normal, and that all computers are supposed to act that way. I hear it all the time, "Oh, that's just Windows, it does that. Reboot it, it'll be OK." In the event that they lose their work, I hear "DAMMIT! I wish somebody could invent a computer that WORKS!" When I point out that computers that work actually exist, they look at me like I've just sprouted violet hair everywhere.

The mind absolutely boggles.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Conditioning.

Sadly, it'll probably take an update deleting almost everyone's files before people will listen. Hell, I'm guilty of not wanting to move to another primary OS simply that my engineering and analytical tools either don't exist on any other OS or cost $x,000 per seat license should I switch.{Shrug}

1. Charles 9

"Sadly, it'll probably take an update deleting almost everyone's files before people will listen."

Or an update that actually KILLS people...

1. Teiwaz

"Sadly, it'll probably take an update deleting almost everyone's files before people will listen."

Or an update that actually KILLS people...

A death here and there won't do it. People die everyday, can be written off as human error, act of God or divine will of Microsoft.

Only When it cause a company to go under will the corporate sponsors of this disasterfest to change tack away.

1. Charles 9

A death CAN do it, as Wrongful Death tends to be some of the nastiest (and most expensive) lawsuits. If there comes concrete evidence that a Windows Update broke something (like a a life-support machine) that ends up directly causing someone's death, then the deceased's survivors will have lawyers on the phone. Sure, they can try to lawyer out, but it's tougher when it's lawyers versus lawyers.

1. Bronek Kozicki

If there comes concrete evidence that a Windows Update broke something (like a a life-support machine)

... then the lawyers would have nothing to do with Microsoft, but with the vendor choosing clearly inappropriate OS to run critical machinery.

1. jake Silver badge

"then the lawyers would have nothing to do with Microsoft, but with the vendor choosing clearly inappropriate OS to run critical machinery."

Exactly. Especially seeing as the EULA clearly states that anything that goes wrong is NOT the fault of Microsoft, but rather it's YOUR fault for choosing to run the product.

One wonders why Corporate Lawyers even let the thing in the door ...

2. wallaby

"If there comes concrete evidence that a Windows Update broke something (like a a life-support machine)"

And medical and laboratory equipment is setup by default to not update

So if it did then it is clearly the fault of the manuf or the person installing it.

1. hplasm
                  Windows

"So if it did then it is clearly the fault of the manuf or the person installing it."

It's not our fault you chose to install shit software AND let it be made worse.

#BoringDistopia #RedmondLaw

2. Dave 15

Getting to the point that the frequency with which the software department here resets my machine dumping yet more MS patches on it is really going to give me a heart attack, particularly as I have to reboot twice because I need to switch the credential guard off to run the unix virtual machine... argh

2. Sampler

But do they? I mean, if they did, wouldn't they be using them?

I work at a place where the default machine is a macbook (air for most, I got a pro as I'm a "techie") and the constant moans and gripes about them boggles my mind for a system that's supposed to "just work", not to mention the faff of everyone having a VM as core business applications aren't osx compatible so they have to boot to windows to make them work.

Whereas I just have windows bootcamped, no faff, no fuss, no crashes.

I do wonder what pieces of crap people are running, or what they must do, to make windows so unreliable as it's often lamented as I just don't see it.

I'm not "fanboi", I use linux at home, but, given that's even less compatible with the apps our average run of the mill company needs, there's little alternative and it is fairly robust, especially when you conisder the open ecosystem the OS has to support unlike the closed ecosystem of our flakey macbooks.

(no nostradamus, but, I'm predicting being downvoted to hell here, don't care, fake internet points, I'm just sick of a narrative that doesn't fit the reality I witness).

1. camehereforthis

I do not seem to get it either, you live and die by your infrastructure. Build the foundations correctly, put the right policies in place and it just works.

The people who comment on this site are infuriating on all MS posts. I hope some of you don't actually provide IT support for SMB and start bitching about how cool linux is and how libre office is free... You do not know business, you do not care about clients you care about being the 'cool' geek. Nothing is stopping you building a great MS toolset to help your clients do their jobs. Nothing is stopping you staying ahead of the curve and testing their patches, updates and whatever else BEFORE you deploy to your valuable clients.

Try working/supporting with actual businesses, yes some believe it or not need to run a 15 year access db on a Windows server BECAUSE that's how they do business and it works or they wouldn't be there. Who looks after it, us, do we whinge (maybe) but do not force some Xubuntu mint whoever knows distro on their desk and say its better because look at the code!

Maniacs, see how well you do convincing one of the many multi million dollar revenue clients who work perfectly fine to change their PC's to linux and oh you cant take the application that has ran the company backend successfully because well you need libre office instead.

MS have been doing really great things with their innovation i.e. Flow, Office 365, SharePoint Online and yes Windows 10. Cloud and collaboration is next level and Power BI, when I show these workings to my clients and install it correctly it is fantastic and lets them get stuff done from anywhere.

1. wallaby
          Pint

@camehereforthis

Have one from me - succinctly put

1. jake Silver badge

camehereforthis, bad troll. No cookie.

2. BGatez

Not every business is "Enterprise" level and disasters like the wildly misnamed Windows 10 "Pro" follow the SOP of MS auto opting in to every data sucking, machine slowing, ad-loading, pre-installed bit of garbage. People in small businesses have to devote and enormous amount of time and resources basically squashing junk while dealing with business destroying updates that can't be chosen.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm with you. While staying with my parents my purpose built PC ran Windows 7 nicely. Hardly any crashes ever. I built one for my dad. A month later, I'm hearing all sorts of issues.

Despite knowing to not download crap he still ends up with it and that is the problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The same old Windows defense, which is the same old defense of anything really, I'm tired of hearing it.

I keep choosing Windows because it's all I know and what everybody else knows that run my business.

I'm afraid to grasp that there is something better than Windows because frankly I'm not really a technical person.

If anybody looks to closely at my skills, I might be out of a job, so better alternatives aren't real.

I'm afraid of change, I'm afraid of learning, therefore I'm afraid of progress and efficiency, just give me a check.

Can you help me program my VCR? Nevermind, I'll just let it blink until someone holds my hand, i mean if the manual wasn't like 2 full pages...

1. Charles 9

"I keep choosing Windows because it's all I know and what everybody else knows that run my business."

No, we keep running Windows because the software we NEED or WANT ONLY runs on Windows. No, WINE won't cut it, and it's high-performance and/or resource-intensive which means a VM is not ideal (as it'll take up most of the machine's resources anyway). We can't expect a port because the dev no longer exists and a refactor would cost more than we can afford.

IOW, many of us would like to move, but we're stranded.

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Can you help me program my VCR? Nevermind, I'll just let it blink until someone holds my hand, i mean if the manual wasn't like 2 full pages...

Theres no point you programming your VCR because you chose Betamax and you cant get any tapes for it.

The mainstream are using VHS. Yes , i know it is technically inferior picture quality, but theres lots of Prerecorded films to rent , blank tapes are plentifully available , theres a wide range of models to choose from and Head cleaning tapes are available.

1. onefang

"The mainstream are using VHS."

Can you even buy VHS anymore? Hasn't the world moved onto DVDs? Tivo? Pirate Bay? (I have no idea, I don't do any of that anyway.)

1. hplasm
                Devil

""The mainstream are using VHS."

aka

"MS are VHS"

Hasn't the world moved onto DVDs?

3. Dave 15

Friend of mine had an apple, used to work in a windows VM on the apple. The real pisser was that when my high powered windows machine crashed it took ages to get it working, when the VM crashed his apple pretending to be a windows machine booted far quicker

3. herman

Windows users will put up with *anything* and they simply don't believe that other systems can run for multiple years without a single problem.

1. Diodelogic

Windows users will put up with *anything* and they simply don't believe that other systems can run for multiple years without a single problem.

I haven't had an issue on a Windows machine since 1998 that wasn't caused by a hardware problem. That was the last time I got a BSOD, which is why the date stands out. So I have no idea what you are going on about.

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Windows OEM revenue was up 3 per cent

Which is probably less than the rise of the US dollar over the quarter: sales from the OS are flat to declining, the growth (and I suspect most of the profits) is all in the services.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Intelligent Cloud revenues of $8.6bn"

So quite a lot more than Amazon's cloud related revenue then.

2. Mark 85

In the event that they lose their work, I hear "DAMMIT! I wish somebody could invent a computer that WORKS!"

Best response I've heard is: "It's not the computer. It's Windows." and many times the user argues about how great Windows is... <sigh> About time a mindset change is needed or maybe a large stick.

1. FozzyBear

@ Mark 85

Go with the large stick aka cluebat. Periodically you will realise that you need to upgrade. This is largely a simple exercise. Typically going for larger and heavier stick, either to due to evolving stupidity of your users or to increase the self satisfaction per application of the clue bat.

Unfortunately, in the not too distant future you will find yourself wielding a cudgel of the size used by the trolls in Harry Potter. It is at that point that you become stressed again. Deciding what to upgrade to next?

1. Charles 9

And what if they're masochists and cudgels get them off?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You say that like it's a problem

1. Charles 9

"You say that like it's a problem"

It is. You just can't win. You either watch them take everything you can dish out...or you're left with bloody hands and a murder charge. Either way, your day's ruined.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Size of cudgel

Some of us have seen the pure futility of doing that and opted for an easier life by not having anything to do with Microsoft or its products.

It is not easy and at the moment, not everyone can escape the Redmond Borg Machine but for some of us, there is life beyond Microsoft.

After years of figthing MS and their lunacies (what worked yesterday no longer works because a fix was applied etc etc etc) in software development I began to hate my job.

I took early retirement and spent 6 months travelling. Living next to a tropical beach for a few weeks is a great stress reliever.

I still don't want anything to do with Windows or Microsoft in general and am enjoying life not programming.

And... I didn't have to beat anyone over the head even with a feather duster to get to where I am today.

3. onefang

"Typically going for larger and heavier stick, either to due to evolving stupidity of your users or to increase the self satisfaction per application of the clue bat."

So you start with a cluebat, then move up to a clue-by-four. Eventually you need to take off and LART the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

1. Charles 9

"So you start with a cluebat, then move up to a clue-by-four. Eventually you need to take off and LART the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Can't be sure of that, either. What if they have Andromeda Strain characteristics (meaning a nuke would make them stronger)?

3. Geoffrey W

!!!!!

Come on guys, you need to crank your anti Microsoft rhetoric up to 11! The world isn't hearing you! Lets call users even more stupid. That's always a good tactic! Get that clue stick out and beat some heads!

We need Bob.

You can do it!!!!

1. Teiwaz

Re: !!!!!

I beginning to think some contract with dark forces is at work regarding the seemingly incomprehensible continuing use of Windows in any business critical environment.

Personally I think it's indicative of humanities intransigence over major issues that aren't an easy fix by issuing a statement, press release or drafting and pushing through some hasty new legislation.

The World plus dog can use whatever POS privacy invading, buggy ad serving rubbish they like, be it Android, ChromeOS or Windows 10, as long as they don't expect me to.

Oh, wait, I still have to work for a living, and guess what....

1. Geoffrey W

The reason people stay with Windows is Pain. The pain of moving to an entirely different operating system is greater than the pain of sticking with Windows. The pain of moving to FOSS is functional. The pain of moving to Apple is financial, and functional. Life for most ordinary people has enough pain in it than to invite more pain by moving to a different OS. Not everyone has a tame tech sponge to soak up that pain for them, so why would they switch, assuming they even know there is choice?

After having assumed the role of tame tech sponge for some people I no longer wish to take on the extra pain of helping others move to Linux. I'm no evangelist. I accept the choices of others. It makes life nicer.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

macOS is simply Not An Option due to the ludicrously expensive hardware requirements - nobody sane shells out £1000+ for everyone in the company when a £150 PC is more than good enough for the majority of staff.

If all you need is email and word processing...

However, Microsoft are sleepwalking straight at a cliff. Once they push an update that takes out a medium-sized but well-known business, the larger places will suddenly decide that they can't afford the risk of staying on Windows and demand that their IT dept "fix it".

As the majority of line-of-business applications are now web-based thin clients, the underlying OS is pretty irrelevant and they'll probably ship network-booting Linux images that have a known browser and nothing else.

Windows specific applications will get ported when there's demand, and not before. A big Windows failure may create that demand.

However, if MS do walk off that cliff edge, they'll be walking on air for a year or two before the sudden drop actually happens.

It takes a while to port things.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"macOS is simply Not An Option due to the ludicrously expensive hardware requirements - nobody sane shells out £1000+ for everyone in the company when a £150 PC is more than good enough for the majority of staff".

Thanks for providing such a perfect example of the broken thinking that has put today's corporate computer users into such a bind.

You assert that "nobody sane" pays over £1,000 for a computer when PCs can be bought for £150. I rather doubt that you can buy an adequate PC for £150 - unless it's a diskless one - but that's not important right now.

The point is this: how on earth can you say what is "too much" to pay for hardware when you haven't even mentioned the costs of software, training, maintenance, etc.?

For 30 years and more I have been astonished at the way decision-makers pay no heed to total long-term system costs, preferring to obsess about the sticker price of some plastic box.

But then that's what happens when the PHBs don't lsten to the Alices and Dilberts.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

You can if you buy refurb. You get a fairly decent HP tower Win 7 / Win 10 4GB RAM and disk space to run it all.

For most SMBs that's fine, it may not be the fastest machine on the block and you might go a bit more expensive for power users. For Bob in sales who needs to fill in spread sheets and send email though? It's fine. You can also buy 6 of them for every £1000.00 mac book

2. DropBear

"I rather doubt that you can buy an adequate PC for £150 - unless it's a diskless one"

I just did that, and not for £150 but for £38. And guess what, not only does it have a half-Tera disk but it's a multi-core PC that happily runs windows 7 and the latest browsers playing Youtube in 1080p. Yes, it _is_ a refurb, but I did buy it retail and it did come with a 2-year warranty for any hardware faults; and while it's certainly not a "gaming rig" I would choose for myself it is an absolutely adequate "parent-puter" that can do just fine everything a business thin(ish) client would need to do. And no, it wasn't a sale - I could do it again any time.

1. LeahroyNake

"I rather doubt that you can buy an adequate PC for £150 - unless it's a diskless one"

I have bought quite a few i5 W10 also has a W7 license 4GB ram refurb pc's not one issue with them so far and they have a 2 year warranty £140 each. Throw in a £70 24 inch monitor and a half decent keyboard and mouse and the users or clients think Christmas has come early.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

macOS is simply Not An Option due to the ludicrously expensive hardware requirements - nobody sane shells out £1000+ for everyone in the company when a £150 PC is more than good enough for the majority of staff.

This is an odd argument. If the cost of business equipment was really a problem, why are company cars nearly always premium brands? Answer: because it's tax efficient and it's similar for equipment: the costs can be offset against tax.

Businesses are, therefore, generally more concerned with the other costs associated with equipment such as training and support. A couple of days training or support callouts can nix any difference in initial outlays due to time lost.

While more and more stuff is moving into the browser, most companies will still rely on some software that only runs on Windows. Where this isn't the case, then stuff is moving to phones and tablets. The biggest reason against Macs for business is probably the difficulty of contracting for fast replacements.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The pain of moving to an entirely different operating system is greater than the pain of sticking with Windows".

Yeah, just as its easier and nicer to go on smoking than it is to quit - in the short run. In the long run you may encounter pain such as you could never imagine, when your lifelong habit gives you cancer.

The predicament of the Windows user is exactly that of the boiling frog.

1. Geoffrey W

@Archtech "The predicament of the Windows user is exactly that of the boiling frog."

No, it really isn't. A boiling frog will be boiled and die. Smoking will likely give you cancer and kill you. Using Windows will not kill you. Neither will Linux. Over the top hyperbole does not prove your argument.

1. onefang

"Using Windows will not kill you."

The elevated stress levels might shorten your life.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Charles 9

"Yeah, just as its easier and nicer to go on smoking than it is to quit - in the short run. In the long run you may encounter pain such as you could never imagine, when your lifelong habit gives you cancer."

But the way they figure it, at least they'll die doing what they love. Why else do you think the most frequent people to call cigarettes "cancer sticks" are the smokers?

3. jake Silver badge

"The pain of moving to an entirely different operating system is greater than the pain of sticking with Windows".

Funny story about the Great Aunt ... I brought her a Slackware box after spending four weekends in a row cleaning up malware on her XP system. She refused to use it, because it was "too hard to make a change at my age". Several weeks later, I realized that I hadn't had any support calls from her. I called to see what was up. It turned out that her sister in Finland had sent her some pictures right about the time that the XP box crapped out again. Out of desperation, she booted up the Slack box ... and hasn't looked back.

Several months later, she asked me to "get rid of that old thing", pointing at the now working again XP box. I couldn't convince her that I could install the same version of Slack on it, with it's more modern CPU, more RAM, larger harddrive, etc. To her, the OS+hardware were a lemon that couldn't be fixed. She's a Linux advocate now, in her "over 90" club ... but unfortunately, she calls it "the version of windows that my nephew gave me" ... The above events occurred around 10 years ago. Linux is a lot more mature and user friendly now.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazing how if you don't throw good money after bad making handsets (Apple aside) how quickly you can start generating medium country like GDP profit.

5. Graybyrd
    Boffin

Ominous foreboding...

"It will be all about maintaining the GitHub community and the ethos at the core."

Hang on... engineering reports a leak in the bilge.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Ominous foreboding...

That's not just a leak. The Kingston valves are rusting out and heading for catastrophic failure.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Unhappy

Re: Ominous foreboding...

the only thing holding it together is the paint that's covering up the rust.

If it ever goes into drydock, the entire structure will collapse. then you can just sweep it all up into a pile or something...

6. Dan 55 Silver badge

Well there we go

No negative feedback to Microsoft so we're stuck with this shitshow.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This takes me back

In 1999 I remember giving the same talk to a few audiences. I warned them of the boiling frog syndrome, and pointed out that if, year after year, they went on taking the cheapest and easiest short-term decisions, in a few years they would find themselves with no choices or decisions left. In effect, they would find they had outsourced all their IT to Microsoft.

That happened some time ago.

8. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

We will run out of Andrex. Windows 10 peristalsis will be turbocharged.

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"leave the code repo mostly untouched"

Right, they're just going to fuck it up in the backend, quiet-like.

How reassuring.

10. tojb

Local patch testing, 3rd-party antivirus & malware, real work all done in vms

We have windows 10 on some machines at work. To support this we need a dedicated server to host updates pushed from microsoft, a near-full-time staff member to test the patches and make sure they don't break anything, plus third party software galore (individually downloaded, not automagically pulled from a repo) to make the machines useful and keep them secure.

90% of users for these machines then do their actual work in a linux VM.

11. Marco van de Voort

Never new testers made that much money

Lay off testers -> stellar quarter ?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the times of crap

yes, I do keep in mind that Roman (?) grafitti about the young (or times?) going to the dogs, etc, etc, yet I have a strong impression, that the race to the bottom has recently accelerated, in terms of what is expected as "normal", both in business and in inter-personal relations, starting from the very bottom (politicians) to the top, i.e. one-to-one interactions. It looks to me that the MS "fuck you any way we can, because we can!" approach is just another facet of this. And, clearly, as with W10, it works. You treat people worse and worse (BUT LOOK, IT'S FREE!!!!) and they're almost grateful. O tempora, o mores, eh? :(

13. Dave 15

Github

Was a nice product, then so was skype.... given Microsofts track record what are the chances of github functioning in a year? I would say none at all

1. stephanh

Re: Github

Frankly, I think they will be doing well. The fact that they are now under Microsoft will probably make them acceptable to some more conservative customers.

1. JohnFen

In a monetary sense, they probably will. But it will mean that Github is a Microsoft product whose customer base is primarily the business world.

That's fine as a business decision, but it does mean that the Github community as it exists now is marked for destruction -- thus Github's days are numbered. There may still be a service called "Github", but it won't be serving the same people in the same way, so it will best be considered a different service and will no longer serve its existing community.

2. BGatez

Think you're dead right here. MS has a long history of killing every thing it touches. My perspective is graphic software, some very nice ones, it purchased and soon killed. And for no good reason, wasn't even like they were competition.

14. PhilipN Silver badge

Buzz words - the more times you say it ......

“Innovation” dates back to Ballmer - and he even remembers to say it again.

“Digital transformation” is a new one on me : count how many times MS execs use it in the next 6-12 months.

I wonder how much they pay the PR people to come up with these Orwellisms?

15. Tezfair
    Holmes

profits are up...

No shit Sherlock. Price increases on new versions of everything and / or cores and subscriptions on just about anything that MS can get away with.

16. johnnyblaze

MS, another sh*t company who care little about their products and support, reaping huge profits AGAIN. Obviously the path Nadella is taking them down is working - everything going to the cloud, forcing companies to pay ever increasing year-on-year subscription costs which certainly helps revenue and looks good on the books. This is why the big megacorps are falling over themselves to offer everything as-a-service - you just keep paying over and over again for the same product, and if you stop paying, you lose access to the product. It's a form of enterprise blackmail with the companies running it holding all the cards.

17. Someone Else Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Sad, really...

...that this is all that Micros~1 really cares about; quarterly numbers are important, customer satisfaction and support, not so much (if at all).

To paraphrase a former president: "Monopolies are nice, so long as you're the monopoly"

18. Long John Silver
    Pirate

MS, please stop futile pestering

I gave up on Windows a long time ago. However, there is a couple of residual tasks for which Windows remains useful. Therefore, I retain a copy of Windows 7 professional to run in a virtual machine on Linux. Needless to say, my copy of Windows 7 is unofficial. I also keep a copy of Windows 10, upgraded from unofficial Windows 7, merely to check from time to time on how this consumerism orientated spyware monster is progressing.

To start with, I took the trouble to use tools purporting to 'activate' Windows but these didn't provide a long term fix. Now I ignore the mildly irritating pop-ups begging for activation and the occasional dire warning that my copy of Windows is malware; the latter offers Hobson's choice: stick with honest malware or move over to Microsoft malware. It was obvious years ago that Microsoft would never go further than offering irritation because attempts to wholly disable an unregistered copy would go badly awry should software error wrongly identify a legitimate copy as unregistered: think in terms of litigation by a corporate user to recover consequential damages.

So, given that as always Microsoft is awash with money, now more so than usual, why continue irritating people who clearly have no intention of spending money on bloated software they only occasionally use? Indeed, why charge anyone for copies of desktop Windows? The Microsoft business model has gravitated toward providing cloud-based subscription services and vending products from 'trusted partners'. In which case, the base operating system is little more than a marketing platform and enabler for running acquired software. Not only can Microsoft vend its own services but also it can charge 'rent' to other providers of services. Additionally, thereby a source of anger to legitimate users can be removed: the registration process makes fresh installation overly complicated and is source of frustration to users needing to re-install on devices shipped with a copy of Windows.

Microsoft has already gone down that path with respect to Visual Studio. Sensibly, a complete version is available free of charge to individual users; most of these outside corporate environments would have been using unofficial copies anyway unless they desperately needed subscription to additional resources for developers. Now Microsoft vends only two versions these with facilities easing collaboration among small and very large teams respectively.

Indeed, that is an inevitable route for all personal computer software and for digitally encoded culture in general. Copyright can no longer protect would-be monopoly interests. Digital sequences can be copied perfectly and distributed at negligible cost. It follows that such 'products', no matter their cost of creation, have zero intrinsic monetary value because there can be no scarcity. Ubiquity means there cannot be market price-discovery. Digital goods continue to be sold as luxury items within a fantasy market where price is whatever one can gull people into paying. Even this supposed market lacks price-discovery because monopoly powers intervene.

Response to this fact of modern life is ever more complicated futile attempts to plug holes enabling so-called 'infringement'. The draft EU copyright amending legislation is a mare's nest of nonsense predicated upon the false assumption that 'content', of itself, holds monetary value in the same manner as physical goods.

It should be borne in mind that all this has nothing to do with protecting earnings of creative individuals. The intent is to prop-up the income of price-gouging intermediaries between creators and people admiring/using their output. Middleman distributors take the lions' share, and more, of income generated.

Genuinely creative people, and production teams, would better be served in absence of both copyright and the plethora of middlemen. The Internet enables direct contact, with relatively little overhead, between creators and those enjoying their works. Instead of attempting to sell that which cannot, other than by twisted logic, be sold, creative output would be distributed on the basis that if one wants more one ought contribute to the upkeep of its creator. 'Price' is replaced by invitation to contribute. Means of contribution include crowd-funding, patronage, subscription, one-off donation, provision of bespoke added-value for a fee, and sale of associated goods and services.

Note that in a sense, Netflix's offer of 'all you can eat' from its stock for a modest subscription is in essence solely the added-value of a curated catalogue together with reliable digital distribution; with a time and effort everything in Netflix's catalogue could be obtained free of charge from unofficial sources.

Demise of copyright by substitution of 'entitlement to attribution' would benefit truly creative people immensely. 'Derivation' is the engine of creativity, yet copyright forbids it until a long time has passed. Vibrant culture demands immediacy of unrestricted derivation (but with attribution).

19. JohnFen

Maybe

You know what other dominant computer manufacturer was riding high on the profit wave while their customers grew increasingly unhappy with them? IBM.

"It will be all about maintaining the GitHub community and the ethos at the core."

Maybe, for right now. But the odds are somewhere near 100% that the day will come when Microsoft kicks all that to the curb.

20. Dave 15

While on the subject

Stupidly nudged some of the cables hanging out of the side of my HP laptop, must have touched the stupid little docking station crap they supplied, blue screen of death, ages waiting for it to offload the problem report (probably including masses of sensitive info, but you cant stop it any more), then it forced yet another downgrade on me (sorry, MS claims an upgrade to fix a bug or more), then I had to reset credential guard again, then reboot again... so a whole hour and a half wasted... and that is without actually losing any of my typing.

Not sure who is to blame, MS or HP or both, probably both. HP of course just say I should upgrade the bios (their stock answer for everything) and have no feedback forum unless you 'create an accout' and 'sign in'. These mega corps (MS and HP) love to hide behind such techniques so they can claim no problems reported

21. Big Al 23

Caughing up a hundred Billion dollars

...for damages causes by defective Win 10 updates should be a no-brainer. Where are the consumer protection lawyers? Is there any more legitimate reason to charge Microsoft for their negligence?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like