back to article Well, it is the Empire of enterprise IT... Oracle's Ellison plans 'Star Wars cyber defense' for his second-generation cloud

Oracle reckons it has “fundamentally” rebuilt its cloud architecture to boost security, promising full separation of customer software and cloud control code. After painting a picture of a nefarious customer, Big Red’s CTO and cofounder Larry Ellison claimed in his first keynote of this year's OpenWorld conference that the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn

Yeah, whatever you say Larry...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

I recall a certain "person" that every other year would pwn everything Oracle without a sweat. I'm not talking weeks, mere days. Pardon me if my disbelief in what Leisure Suit Larry is selling, completely aside from hardware vulnerabilities, bothers him.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Welcome, Larry .... WTF kept you away and outside for so long?

Fancy Bare Neural Networking type stuff you can garner and utilise from https://arxiv.org/pdf/1511.06279v3.pdf Thanks, Scott Reed & Nando de Freitas/Google DeepMind London, UK .... https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2018/10/22/tennis_for_two_at_60/#c_3637197
    ...... is a copy/clone/drone/future development of .......
    A key component of the infrastructure is providing a bare-metal server, he said.

This contains none of the database giant's own cloud management code, and ring-fences customer's software into zones on the bare-bones box. If a subscriber is more security conscious, and presumably also cash rich, they can rent one or more such machine just for themselves. These bare-metal servers are controlled separately by an Oracle-powered system. In effect, Oracle has kinda rebranded bare-metal servers as "second generation."

And Larry will know IT's Attractions are Heavy Fuel Heavenly Fuelled.

Aint that correct, Larry, with the Gospel according to Satyrs and Nymphs celebrated in song here ....... Heavy Fuel Dire Straits are a Perverse Invention and Signify Hopeless Manic Desperation

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle

TBH, i dont think Oracle's technical capabilities are in question, its Oracle itself.

No-one wants to deal with them unless they absolutely have to.

There a deeply unpleasant company to deal with, especially their sales droids.

1. Julz

Re: Oracle

I believe they are not so great to work for either..

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AWS moved the hypervisor into a smart NIC. Call it 5th generation cloud

Already today storage virtualization and network virtualization on AWS is done on Smart NICs i.e. outside the computer that the tenant is running on.

If AWS counted every time they re-architected their cloud as a "generation" they are probably at 5th generation by now.

1. Secta_Protecta

Re: AWS moved the hypervisor into a smart NIC. Call it 5th generation cloud

As is Oracle Cloud v2.0 network and storage virtualisation.

6. BebopWeBop

Snigger

as Ellison mentioned the firm’s name more than enough to have Jeff Bezos’ ears burning.

But Bezos giggling

7. Secta_Protecta

Pot and Kettle Time

"Funny, I didn’t know data in the same pipe costs more depending on which direction it’s going."

But you do know that Oracle DBs cost more depending on which cloud provider they're running on right?

8. CloudMonster

The lack of any mention of Salesfarce as a competitor must annoy the hell out of Bennyhoff and his "first Gen Cloud" sycophants!! Much lolz.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yep, unhuh.

So you've added all of these wonderful security features. Have they be properly tested? I only ask because when I interviewed with your cloud group in the first part of this year, they were super interested--until I mentioned the importance of testing & asked what test coverage was like. Dropped like a hot potato.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like