back to article Alibaba pulls dust covers off its new London cloud presence

Alibaba Cloud has launched in the UK, the Chinese cloud purveyor has declared, as it prepares to take on dominant player AWS and the other also-rans. Yeming Wang, GM of Alibaba Cloud’s EMEA outpost, who spoke to journalists at a briefing last week, noted that Britain’s “public cloud market is the largest in Europe.” Alibaba’s …

1. AMBxx Silver badge
    FAIL

Just no

Cloud, China, uncertain pricing.

That certainly cuts down the list of likely customers. I guess some civil servant will be ready for a big Alibaba cloud project followed by a move to the private sector to work for Alibaba.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just no

Followed by a hasty withdraw when they shut up shop 2 yrs later after no business

2. Tom 38

You don't do much business in China then? China cloud that integrates with our existing cloud buildout tools makes hosting content for Chinese users a whole lot easier.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

>>> You don't do much business in China then?

Um no. I have a company-wide block on .cn email. I've also blocked a whole load of Chinese IP ranges to avoid hacks. Same for Russia and a few other unsavoury countries.

3. K
      Devil

I welcome our red-flag-waving overlords - At least they think logically.... don't believe in "creationism" and think that the hillbilly cousin of the Tango Man who wears a Merkin on his head, is fit to be President, whilst giving him access to nuclear weapons (that he brandishes around like a BB gun).

2. LeoP

I beg to differ

"China" is a strong point - but so are "Trumpistan" and "Amazon"

Whoever uses cloud and whatever for needs to understand, they are putting their data into the hands of other people - the rationale for it being to put the problems and a part of the cost there as well.

Understanding this, I am very hard pressed to think of China as more dangerous than the UST.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

"Our expansion into the United Kingdom, and by extension into Europe"

Unless he runs straight into GDPR adequacy problems after Brexit...

4. Locky

Secure

Protected by best in class great firewall, unless someone says the magic words

Open Sesame

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Secure

> Open Sesame

You misspelled "I'm from the Chinese government and we need your customer records"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's a serious accusation - have you discussed it with Interpol?

1. Flywheel

>> have you discussed it with Interpol?

As soon as the Head of Interpol gets "un-disappeared" from his visit to China I'm sure OP will...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I'm glad somebody got it!

5. MudFever

Bet all their hosts have a variant of Superfish installed and regularly call "home".

Dodgy Chinese crap. Not to be trusted.

1. stephanh

O please relax

It's only your *users* data which is being stored there.

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Here's a Welcome Present for Alibaba Cloud with El Reg Registration

SMARTR Weaponry/NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTive Inventory for The Future, but Not as you Know IT Presently

问候和欢迎

7. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

China Futures

Methinks Chinese Stealth is both Assured and Guaranteed because Massive Faulty Western Output to Input is Not in Anything's Best Interests. You might like to think an Imperial Chinese Leadership recognises that Fundamental Base Systemic Flaw.

Treat a fool like a genius and intelligence and information is lost in a barren space, but treat a genius like a fool and all hell is liable to break loose. And China is Nobody's Fool Tool.

8. bogomips

Nǐ hǎo

Actually, been studying up on Alibaba cloud recently. They have pretty comprehensive documentation, and training videos. Certifications as well.

Some are free and the rest are pretty cheap.

Seems Alibaba has made it a point to copy AWS as closely as possible to make it easy to transfer skills across. Even the acronyms and instance sizes are similarly named (EC2->ECS, ELB->SLB, etc).

Give it a spin!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like