back to article Microsoft Azure looks to make cloud-native payments SWIFTer

Microsoft and money-message flinger SWIFT have announced a proof of concept aimed at demonstrating that Azure could be a good fit for the financial network's infrastructure. The Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) is geared up to allow financial institutions to exchange or receive information on …

1. ivan5

Oh dear, what could go wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It doesn't matter what goes wrong, what matters is the remedy available if it does - even MS can't afford to remedy the financial damage from a loss of service or delay in transmission, let alone the reputational damage to the institution(s) affected. I think an MS internal PoC is as far as it will go or maybe also a few small challenger banks with specific customer terms of service opt outs.

2. Danny 2

It's not immediately apparent what SWIFT are getting from this. Their existing system is more reliable and secure than Azure. Arnaud Boulnois says it will "eliminate operational inefficiencies" and improve "back-office operational efficiency", so I'm guessing that is Belgian for cutting staff.

Microsoft first got a foot in the door two decades ago on a non-financial project, and a second-line support nobody I had a direct line to a MS VP because they were that keen. I'd always search TechNet first to avoid annoying the poor millionaire.

1. EnviableOne

their system is great, just talk to Bank of Bangladesh, some russian ones, chileans, and others that got robbed over swift in the last year ...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

I'm wondering...

If all of this is just a prelude to Microsoft slurping people's banking details...

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: I'm wondering...

No need to wonder, it is a given. Just what we need, interbank financial messaging getting the Zune treatment..

1. Tim99 Silver badge
        Joke

Don’t worry, MS will make this secure with a corporate standard system like 2FA...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If all of this is just a prelude to Microsoft slurping people's banking details...

1) Don't be ridiculous.

2) Don't give Google ideas.

4. Simon Brady

There's no I in team, but there's AI in fail

Machine learning algorithms, which seem to be compulsory in any new technology, validate the instruction before sending it on to SWIFT via Microsoft's SWIFT installation in the cloud.

Let's hope they've been trained on the headline-grabbing instructions that have emanated from North Korea...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like