back to article Speeding jet of Siberian liquid hot Magma getting speedier, satellites find

A speeding jet of magma 420 kilometres wide, described nearly as hot as the Sun's surface underneath Russia is moving three times faster that previously recorded, scientists say. The jet is now travelling at up to 45 kilometres a year underneath Siberia towards Europe, triple the pace of other outer core liquids, thanks to …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Megaphone

I knew it.

"The jet is now travelling at up to 45 kilometres a year underneath Siberia towards Europe!!"

Scientist prove: EUROPE TARGETED BY RUSSIA!

Better increase NATO spending to 15% of GDP. Yeah, that will do nicely. And vote Clinton believe in the most ineffectual POTUS ever as he delivers huge turds on his way out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I knew it.

Are you sure you didn't mean to write "turds on his way in" ?.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

You forgot the sarcasm tags and the honorable mentioning of hacking.

As far as the POTUS, he has definitely gone into this modus operandi: http://www.km.ru/joke_day/791697

Translation: "What other dirty trick can I play (on my successor) at the last minute*"

(*) The fact that the successor deserves quite a few of them is a different story

3. phuzz Silver badge

Surely the most ineffectual president would be William Henry Harrison, who only served for one month and did basically nothing.

1. Rich 11

At least Harrison had the decency to not invade any countries for spurious reasons.

1. phuzz Silver badge

"At least Harrison had the decency to not invade any countries for spurious reasons."

Well exactly. Isn't invading random countries the raison d'être of the USA?

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Surely the most ineffectual president would be William Henry Harrison,

There has not been any effectual presidents since FDR because Congress has repeatedly violated the separation of powers removing various powers from the executive branch in the name of oversight.

For example: every other country in the world, the executive branch presents a whole government to the legislative. Legislative has a take it or leave it choice. That is just for starters.

Instead of oversight, however, Congress has introduced direct control. While the two are similar, they are not equivalent. At least according to Merriam Webster. This is by the way at all levels. The same thing is happening at state level too.

1. E 2

Re: There has not been any effectual presidents since FDR because "

Read the constitution.

4. mhenriday
      Pint

It's all that nasty Mr Putin's fault....

Henri

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The mind boggles

Science is truly astounding. I applaud any progress in our understanding of the Universe we live in, and this is indeed progress.

Now, since we seem to be getting insights on the activity of Earth's core, would it be possible that this tech improve our understanding of earthquakes and, therefore, their prediction ?

I hope so.

1. Lusty

Re: The mind boggles

More likely it will improve our understanding of the weather. That heat is the same heat that comes up to the surface, so if it produces even a mildly different surface temperature that will warm the air in different places enough to disturb the air. This could quite easily be the root cause of the jetstream moving about as well as variances in weather over decade time periods which many refer to as "climate change". I'm not saying there isn't climate change here, I'm saying shorter term shifts may be explainable with this information.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. m0rt

@symon - whereas you raise a valid point, albeit a little testy, surely any chaotic system, or to put it another way, any system that has a sensitive dependence on initial conditions, can mean a markedly different outcome with this relatively small amount of energy and its own variance when added to the whole?

1. m0rt

Well met.

"Those things amplify the sun's affect on the weather. What got me 'testy' was someone claiming that the heat from a bit of moving magma deep in the bowels of the Earth could affect the weather without providing one jot of evidence that this is at all likely. "

He postulated a theory - possibly based out of ignorance of other facts, I can't know that because I am ignorant about what he is ignorant about, and I also may be ignorant of those things which he is also ignorant about, but...postulating a theory, which you then came back with a well formed reply, shouldn't warrant a rebuke. He should be encouraged to ask questions, share the knowledge, so we all rise higher. (Gosh, exercising in the morning really *does* give you a positive outlook...)

Richard Dawkins isn't necessarily a role model for human interaction.

Happy new year to you too! :)

1. m0rt

"But, sadly, maybe the Register forums isn't the best place to get such encouragement."

This is our chance! We can change this. I want to believe...

Stewart Lee is a role model on how to deal with role models. Especially if your role model happens to be someone from UKIP...

"And how do you know that 'Lusty' is male?"

I don't. But the thought did cross my mind. But then, odds are in my favour... :)

2. Lusty

A weirdly shouty response from someone who clearly didn't understand what I was saying. In future try asking for more information, you might learn something.

3. Faux Science Slayer

"Earth's Missing Geothermal Flux" at FauxScienceSlayer

Government controlled science LIES ABOUT EVERYTHING.

"Volcanic CO2" at Geologist-1011 website....

Massive amounts of heat and elemental gases escape unmonitored along

a hundred thousand miles of deep sea floor rift zones....

3. VinceH

I am eagerly awaiting an utterly atrocious and unbelievable disaster movie based on this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Given how "fast" this "jet" moves it'll be all in slow motion..

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Given how "fast" this "jet" moves it'll be all in slow motion.."

Well, given that Bruce Willis is over 60 now...

1. Jos V

movie...

Unfortunately, it has been done already. The movie is called "The core". And I will give it a pass.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. VinceH
        Thumb Up

I can't see anything (after a 5 second search) with that title - but if there is something, the title is now lodged in the back of my mind, so if it appears somewhere I'll recognise it and make a point of watching it. :)

(Which I probably would anyway!)

1. Captain DaFt

"so if it appears somewhere I'll recognise it and make a point of watching it. :)"

Here it is!

(Link to Daily Mail deliberately chosen to test your resolve) ☺

1. VinceH

I'm not clicking on a Daily Mail link - but looking at the link itself...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2747719/What-happens-tornado-meets-volcano-Footage-reveals-3-300ft-column-gas-fire-swirling-Bardarbunga.html

WTF!? Daily Mail has a science / tech section?

Also, @JetSemSim I was pleased to discover recently that there is a Sharknado 4 (I've seen 1-3) and according to IMDB a #5 is in the works for this year. :)

1. Bill Gray

@VinceH : "WTF!? Daily Mail has a science / tech section?"

Some years back, the _Weekly World News_ (US tabloid) frequently had articles with headlines such as WILD WEST TOWN FOUND ON VENUS! and HUBBLE TAKES PICTURES OF HEAVEN! and (when the comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter) JUPITER RADIOS EARTH FOR HELP! Plus, of course, numerous asteroids that were going to hit Earth and wipe out humanity... it was clear that somebody at WWN had an interest in science, though from the Dark Side.

As a guy with a then-recent degree in physics and an interest in astronomy and creative writing, I did think that a job with WWN as their science correspondent might be fun.

2. JetSetJim
        Coat

Re: Magmanado.

Needs some sharks thrown in for good measure

4. Allan George Dyer
    Headmaster

"the Sun is not hidden from us by 3,000 km of rock"

Hah! It's four times that, at night!

1. Alister
      Coat

And even more during a Solar Eclipse...

:)

5. Yugguy

Unobtainium

We needs it!

6. jzl

Perspective

Just for some perspective, 45km / year is 1.5mm / second.

1. David Roberts

Re: Perspective

Which interestingly is roughly half the slowest snail's pace. Allegedly.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Why did I look at the headline and think of a Russian curry??

Please pass the chilli flavoured vodka

8. cantankerous swineherd

red peril!

9. willi0000000

i don't know about the rest of you . . . but i'm panicking!

[ it's apparently what my countrymen (left side of the pond) want me to do in every situation ]

10. AndrewDu

Odd that nobody yet has blamed this on global warming...it won't be long, I'm sure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like