I'm on the naughty step

This topic was created by Ledswinger .

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm on the naughty step

Because all my posts are now "submitted and awaiting moderation". Would somebody care to point to what I've done that has caused this offence?

I don't doubt that something I've done is the trigger, but if the Reg want to amend bad behaviours, surely the thing to do is to contact errant commentards and explain what it is you don't like and don't wish to see repeated?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: I'm on the naughty step

Hi - it's because you posted a correction as a comment, when we have an email address for that. We flag up people who post corrections as comments so we can check each comment for future corrections. We don't have time to read every comment, but we do have time to read corrections@.

The correction was: incorrect picture of aircraft on a story about WW2 bombers.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm on the naughty step

War criminal or what.

2. onefang

Ah, that must be why I'm also on the naughty step. Though I thought it was traditional, I've seen lots of other corrections posted as comments. Post a correction as a comment, and make some sort of lame joke about it. And commentards asking for a proper web form for corrections instead of a mailto link. I'll also ask for that.

I also agree with Ledswinger, I thrive on feedback, but if you don't tell me what I did wrong, there's no chance I can correct it. The email I sent asking why didn't get a response. Might help to ease the workload of your moderators. And especially for those moderated for posting corrections, might encourage more proper corrections, instead of discouraging people due to the length of time taken for moderation.

From the "The Register Comments Guidelines" is this bit "We try to be broad-minded and consistent" which has not been true of the majority of the comments I have had rejected recently. Rejecting for the use of words that are considered by some to be bad language isn't broad-minded, and a search for those words shows they have been used in many comments, and even in El Reg articles, that's not consistent.

My last rejection I have no idea why it was rejected, makes no sense at all.

Being on the naughty step has cooled my commentarding output, I can't participate in conversations around here when it can take longer than a day for my comments to appear. My last two comments are on 16 hours and counting.

If I promise to not post corrections as comments, can I go back to not being moderated please? I'll even make a deal with you, since I'm a good proof reader, if you unreject those recent posts of mine that I mentioned above, I'll set up a special email folder with special rules and templates that I'll use to send in lots of corrections. Still not as easy as a web form on the same page as the article, but it'll help.

Re: onefang

"if you don't tell me what I did wrong, there's no chance I can correct it."

It's too much of a time sink to get into discussing it with everyone who ends up being rejected or put into the moderation queue. Maybe one day we'll have a drop down menu of reasons. Our primary goal is writing articles.

"The email I sent asking why didn't get a response."

If you sent it over the weekend, we haven't read it yet. We all need time off at the end of the week.

"I promise to not post corrections as comments"

That'll help you get out of moderation. Generally, people are in the queue until someone cracks and takes them out of it and back into normal auto-moderation.

It's just really annoying having an article sit on the site for a few hours with a mistake it in, especially a mistake others have seen but decided to post a comment about it rather than get it fixed.

It's like getting a 1 star review about a bug that a bug-finder didn't report.

C.

1. onefang

Re: onefang

"If you sent it over the weekend, we haven't read it yet. We all need time off at the end of the week."

I sent it last month.

"That'll help you get out of moderation."

OK, will do. Or rather, wont do that bad thing anymore.

3. onefang

I tried to be good boy, I don't think I posted any corrections as comments, and I was unmoderated for a few days. Now I'm back to being moderated. What did I do wrong this time?

"What did I do wrong this time?"

Nothing - you posted in a thread where everyone gets moderated (the Google sex pest one) and your comment was approved.

Some articles are marked for manual moderation on all comments either because: legal issues, or to stop it turning into a shit show with trolls.

C.

4. onefang

"We try to be broad-minded and consistent", yes I know I quoted that bit above. I think it's worth repeating it. Now I have been rejected for "nipple", "nips", and "tits". I guess that's consistent, though not particularly broad-minded. Oh wait, not that consistent either, since other people on the same comment thread as my most recent rejections had some of those words let through. I guess that was one of these articles marked for moderation, my recent comments on other articles had no moderation.

Is this a TITSUP, Total Inability To Sensor Us Properly? Oops, should be TITCUP, my bad.

re: onefang

"not particularly broad-minded"

Look, dude. On a story about NIPS being insensitive for some, cracking jokes about freeing the nipple isn't terribly productive. Kinda makes you part of the problem. There's being broad-minded, and then there's not being a pillock. Some people might want to discuss it seriously. There are or have been plenty of bootnotes stories for that kinda thing.

"not that consistent either"

Report any comments you think are inappropriate, and we'll remove them if necessary.

C.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon