back to article Good news: Largest, most ancient known galaxy supercluster is spotted. Bad news: It's collapsing on itself

An international team of astronomers have stumbled upon the largest and oldest galaxy supercluster found to date, measuring more than four quadrillion solar masses. The formation, dubbed Hyperion, is a giant complex blob of several filaments of galaxies and dark matter. It is thought to have come into being about two billion …

1. ThatOne Silver badge
    Happy

Symmetry

And right now, somebody over there is probably looking at the old light of what our own supercluster looked like "back then", and is wondering what our neighborhood might look like nowadays...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Symmetry

I wonder if they call our supercluster "Endymion"?

2. Mips

Re: Symmetry

Yeh. But this is really old news. It's nothing like that now.

Whoops. There goes the neighbourhood again.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Space

Yeah, Hyperion is progressing slowly but you can fast-forward 11 billion years by moving your chair closer to the show.

3. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

The conveniently imagined material dubbed "Dark Matter" will have set it spinning by now.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

It's no more "conveniently imagined"

than the 'conveniently imagined' Jack the Ripper.

1. Rol

Re: It's no more "conveniently imagined"

Jack the Ripper is the name given to the unknown assailant, which only works if you are sure the victims didn't mutilate themselves with surgical precision.

Dark matter similarly only works as a stop gap phrase if people would stop insisting it acts from within a galaxy. If dark matter could mean weird matter within a galaxy or something like antimatter acting externally, then the phrase wouldn't be so loaded with potential misdirection.

4. jake Silver badge

Spotted?

I was hoping for a nice, fetching tartan!

1. Sceptic Tank Silver badge

Re: Spotted?

Spots are just a sign of puberty. Happens often in young superclusters.

2. Kane
      Joke

Re: Spotted?

"I was hoping for a nice, fetching tartan!"

Dead Men Dying Galactic Superclusters Don't Wear Plaid.

5. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Alien

We have a problem

Yet another article about something that should not have existed so close to the Bigge Bange. Maybe there's a fundamental flaw with that theory. But ja, I'm no scientist.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: We have a problem

It's not a matter of "should" or "should not" ... it's a matter of "does" or "does not". Clearly it does. Now to figure out why.

Science Ain't it grand?

2. Jtom

Re: We have a problem

Had a professor who explained to us an alternative theory that would solve some of the distribution conundrums associated with the Big Bang Theory. The concept was that there were many small singularities of dense matter. One of them exploded (‘banged’), and the resultant shock wave started a chain reaction of other singularities ‘banging’.

It was called the Gang Bang Theory....

6. 45RPM Silver badge

Is collapsing? Collapsed it has, I would say? Mmm?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Go back to your Galaxy, Yoda!

7. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Fascinating stuff

I am currently involved in developing new algorithms for faint-object detection in the EU-funded SUNDIAL project, and it is fascinating to see how rapid developments in instrumentation and software is allowing measurements and discoveries to be made that we could only dream of not so long ago. Often the new discoveries throw up more questions rather than they answer, which is of course how science progresses.

1. 0laf
      Pint

Re: Fascinating stuff

A liquid salute to you sir for working on such mind boggling boffinry

2. M. Poolman

Re: Fascinating stuff

Sad to say it, but this schemes funding this sort multidisciplinary, multinational project(EU2020/Marie Curie) will shortly no longer be available to UK boffins, and there is no sign the government is planning (or even able) to provide a substitute.

8. farranut

Handsome Jack approves

I hear they make the most accurate guns ;)

1. A Nother Handle
      Mushroom

Re: Handsome Jack approves

Bah! Who needs accuracy? Mr Torgue (and I) say MOOOORE EXPLOOOOOSIIIIOOONNSSS!!!

9. harmjschoonhoven
  10. Flashfox

Hmm ... 2 billion years after the Big Bang ... that means that it's an "old" image that is ~11.8 billion years old. As someone else mentioned, what does that super cluster look like "today"? Does it even exist anymore? Heck 11 billion years ago our sun didn't even exist.

That is unless the flow of time is not constant ... but that's for another thread :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like