back to article Equifax exec's inside trade shame: Software boss sentenced for mega-hack stock profit

An Equifax executive – who knew the biz had been hacked before it was made public and banked over $75,000 in stock trades using this inside knowledge – has avoided jail. Sudhakar Reddy Bonthu, formerly a software product development manager for Equifax’s Global Consumer Services team, admitted to learning that hackers have …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Justice

Like like taxes, the more powerful and wealthy you are, the less you have to worry about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Justice

Especially if you have a lacrosse player sounding name which this gentleman did not.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

Yes, cricket is not that fashionable in the US....

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      IT Angle

I think in his case, any kind of lucrative career in I.T. is now over.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So only getting caught trading on knowledge is punishable

What about everyone who had their data leaked ot do they just no count?

1. usbac Silver badge

Re: So only getting caught trading on knowledge is punishable

The leaked information only affects the little people (like us). So, no it doesn't matter...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So only getting caught trading on knowledge is punishable

It wasn't your data, it was their data.

The mindset of all these companies seems to be derived from the "intelligence agencies". You are just part of the field from which they reap their harvest.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Intel CEO next??? https://www.marketwatch.com/story/intel-ceo-sold-millions-in-stock-after-company-was-informed-of-vulnerability-before-disclosure-2018-01-03

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ex-CEO...

5. JCitizen
    Unhappy

It wouldn't bother me..

It wouldn't bother me if they put the entire board of Equifax in jail after the way they handled the last breach. I'm not normally for regulation, but congress needs to put their thumb on the credit agencies. If not a fist!!

6. EJ

Crime pays - more so for the others mentioned in this story than Bonthu.

1. Anonymous Koward

Don't forget the ones who knew before the breach was disclosed and profited from insider trading and not caught. Friends of family, friends and professional insider traders etc

7. Anonymous Koward
    Trollface

Chris Hacker, special agent in charge of FBI Atlanta.

“If we don’t hold company insiders to the same rules that govern regular investors, the public’s confidence in the stock market erodes,” said Chris Hacker, special agent in charge of FBI Atlanta.

I knew the FBI employed hackers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon