back to article Enterprise Java caretakers float new rules of engagement for future feature updates

The Eclipse Foundation, saddled with oversight of Java EE last year after Oracle washed its hands of the thankless business of community governance, wants to revise the process by which enterprise Java – rechristened Jakarta EE when Oracle declined to grant use of its Java trademark – gets improved. Mike Milinkovich, executive …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Try more tricks.

It would of been a better read if this article was hidden in a Where's Waldo picture, and the article was about anything else. That said, when a magazine owned by Oracle can't effectively spin Java's numbers, it might be time to plan an exit strategy.

Well, thanks for the reminder that Java exists, I truly forgot.

1. JLV

Re: Try more tricks.

>Java exists

This isn't just Java though, it's the J2EE server side spec. Whatever you think of Java proper, J2EE manages to make it look simple and lightweight. J2EE is heavily predicated on XML-izing Java code, basically to sidestep Java's so-useful typing. Ever tried to grok deeply nested XML? It's also a triumph of OOP design purity over common sense. How about Entity Beans that can instantiate wherever they want, instead of preferentially or exclusively on the local machine? Because SQL network access is free, time-wise. Java designers' love of Design Patterns seems to have reached its high mark here.

In short, who would _start_ a greenfield project in this tech? Esp considering Java core's new licensing costs. That survey? 92% of respondents are on Java SE 8, which came out early 2014. Or earlier.

21st Century COBOL, just more complicated.

2. devTrail

> That said, when a magazine owned by Oracle

I opened the software section and I just saw more than 10 articles about Microsoft or Windows, 3 about Google and single articles about the others.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It would of been a better read if this article was hidden in a Where's Waldo picture"

*HAVE*

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps Im just a conspiracy theorist...

... but Oracle does seem to be doing its best to be rid of Java and make life difficult for its users without actually saying as much. It does make me wonder why they bought Sun if it wasnt really for the hardware or the software. The logo?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "... wonder why they bought Sun ..."

E G O

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Meh

Not evolving fast enough?

Sometimes I think things are evolving TOO fast, and the least-likely-to-survive "mutation" is being artificially selected, as opposed to NATURAL selection. You know, like 2D FLATSO. And ".Not". And NodeJS.

Java has a LOT of potential as cross-platform development environment, and always did, which is why Oracle uses (or used?) it for their front-end GUI applications, as well as the Arduino IDE and Eclipse itself. For a lot of things, it makes SENSE.

What Micro-shaft did with C-pound [part of their failed attempt at embracing and extending Java] is an example of "evolving too fast" and "artificially selecting the winner" [instead of NATURAL selection].

What we do NOT want to see is a Java spec that circles the drain with "new shiny" after "new shiny" to the point where developers CANNOT POSSIBLY KEEP UP, *ESPECIALLY* if it means abandoning old things for new, or you're just simply LEFT BEHIND.

Evolving TOO fast, particularly without supporting the OLD stuff properly, is a recipe for FAIL.

I'm not saying don't evolve. You see Linux (kernel) and the BSDs "evolving". You also see what Gnome and Firefox have done to themselves, and what Poettering has excreted for Linux userland. They're chasing FADS and effectively saying they are "evolving". WRONG. That's not evolution, that's rogue mutations that are ENDANGERING THE SPECIES.

It's bad enough that my Java experience only includes Android and making tiny modifications to the Arduino IDE. I admit I'm no expert. I also don't want Java to become "the next Gnome 3".

1. JLV

Re: Not evolving fast enough?

Why the f... do you feel the need for your usual stuck uppercase keyboard “2D FLATSO” rant in the context of a J2EE post?

It’s tedious enough - even you’re admittedly somewhat correct - in the context of a Windows/macOS desktop or a mobile UI.

But J2EE is server tech. Not GUI. Move that stuck needle outta the groove, dear, it’s grating to listen to.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Java has a LOT of potential as cross-platform development environment, and always did..."

That's the Java Trap. It's one thing to be fond of features, it's another to ignore dependencies, especially when you forsee being marooned prior to adoption as well as porting complexities. The reasons businesses use Java has more to do with Oracle than the language itself, and Oracle knows it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like