back to article Tumblr turns stumblr, left humblr: Blogging biz blogs bloggers' private info to world+dog

Tumblr today reveal it has fixed a security bug in its website that quietly revealed private details of some of its bloggers. This is quite an interesting bug. The desktop version of Tumblr shows a list of recommended blogs for logged-in users to check out. According to Tumblr, "it was possible, using debugging software in a …

1. J. R. Hartley

Give it to me straight.

Does my boss now know about by BDSM thing? Don't be gentle.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Give it to me straight.

Maybe....

2. MyffyW Silver badge

@J.R.Hartley - assume the position.

1. Colin Wilson 2

"J.R.Hartley - assume the position."

... Rod in hand!

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mark 85

User's care about bugs, leaks, etc.?????

However, there is a fear this practice will discourage organizations from looking in the first place, in order to avoid any negative headlines when they publicize their bug discoveries.

That's a false sense of reality. Imagine the turmoil if an unpatched bug hit hard or they gave away (sold) the info like FB did? Oh wait, users didn't bail out en masse so no fear of publicizing bugs then.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: User's care about bugs, leaks, etc.?????

Can you imagine the information overload if every Fortune 1000 company automotive manufacturer publicly disclosed every security bug discovered by a penetration test, bug bounty, or an internal audit government safety review or third party tester?

You mean as is expected in other industries? Makes the world a better place.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

No double standards at Google

Google detected and fixed its own flaw. Bit of a fumble and poor PR to have it leak rather than disclose itself but standard practice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon