back to article Someone's in hot water: Tea party super PAC group 'spilled 500,000+ voters' info' all over web

Now, now, America. Don't go overboard. Again. More than half a million folks' names and phone numbers, plus other sensitive files, were accidentally spilled onto the internet by a misconfigured server operated by the Tea Party Patriots Citizens Fund, it is claimed. That fund is a Republican super PAC that campaigned in the …

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

I wonder ...

If the BOFH in this case was not a Trump Republican? "Opps, sorry about that - no idea how that happened."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder ...

Controlled opposition ... obviously.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: I wonder ...

If the BOFH in this case was not a Trump Republican

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence..

2. martinusher Silver badge

Probably Irrelevant

Buried in the news recently was an article about a criminal being busted for identity fraud using information from a database managed by (I think) Experian which will disgorge the necessary information on anyone in the US on request. As a private individual you need to spring for the $1500 a year subscription cost -- law enforcement and government subs are free. The company claims it does background checks on all subscriptions but since they're sold to outfits like debt collection agencies that might have less than honest employees this is probably moot.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

That's Nice

As far as I'm concerned, a PAC is nothing more than a bribe aggregator.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: That's Nice

>As far as I'm concerned, a PAC is nothing more than a bribe aggregator.

Yes, I think that's rather the point.

Of course it would be much more efficient if you could just bribe the government directly through some official agency. Although that would probably make the bribes more expensive and less efficient

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"As far as I'm concerned, a PAC is nothing more than a bribe aggregator."

thats ok, because politicians are bribe consolidators.

if the system's going to be corrupt, we might as well aim for an efficient corruptocracy.

1. O RLY

Your last sentence reminds me of the Ashleigh Brilliant Pot Shot "I either want less corruption or more chance to participate in it."

4. elvisimprsntr

Add this to the growing list of reasons I actually de-registered to vote

* All politicians are corrupt and conflicts of interest don't seem to bother them

* All politicians will lie and tell you what you want to hear in order to get your vote

* All politicians will break their campaign promises once elected to office

* All politicians pass laws/bills to ensure their pockets are lined with cash

1. Hollerithevo

All of them, eh?

Every single one? Now, or from the dawn of time?

I assume you don't bitch and moan when a system you have stepped away from turns out to affect you.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: All of them, eh?

No some of them are totally ineffective and keep their scrupples - but never get anywhere near real power.

Dennis Skinner springs to mind.

1. Geoffrey W

Dennis Skinner is a lot closer to real power than you ever will be. He is an elected MP and he sits in the same room as the leader of parliament. He gets to do a lot of stuff locally and at least gets his voice heard nationally which is way better than a misanthropic voice in a marginal tech site commentary. Disenfranchising yourself is the lowest level you can sink to in an organized society, morally and effectually. The worst among the powers that be will seek perpetually to disenfranchise this or that group - look at what the Republican party is doing in individual states in the USA - why would you want to do what those in charge of you want you to do (ie to not vote)? The ultimate disobedience is to be politically active and vote, vote, vote!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Welcome to the modern world of the UK and US, where cynicism is the best way to stay sane and your vote doesn't matter. Live in a primarily blue constituency but dislike blue? Your vote doesn't matter. Live in a red constituency but dislike red? Your vote doesn't matter. Central Manchester or Montana; Cambridge or California, your vote doesn't matter.

The future's bright. You'll die eventually and not have to worry about this crap anymore.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"all politicians"

In the Netherlands there are about 13 political party's to choose from. More choice means that you can vote for the party you most believe in, and there are party's with a high moral standard among them. There are strict rules regarding campaign contributions which prevents conflict of interest.

Also there isn't one party who gets a majority, but multiple party's have to work together. Which means that in practice multiple party's achieve some of their goals and not just the largest one. The opposition can still propose laws and they can still get the accepted if they receive the majority of votes.

I assume that in America with only 2 choices, chances are quite large that at some point there just isn't a party to your liking..

1. H in The Hague

Although at first the large number of parties in NL and the fact that you always need a coalition might seem a recipe for chaos, it does seem to work quite well. One of the advantages is that there is more consensus within each party, fringe elements can move to another party.

A few weeks ago Mrs H (recently arrived in NL) and I watched the presentation of the budget. What stuck us is the modesty of the politicians, a welcome absence of selfaggrandisement. Specifically the Minister of Finance started his speech by praising prudence, he then mentioned that the economy is doing well but that this wasn't just due to their hard work but also that of previous governments and the world economy doing better. And it seems that NL is one of the few countries to run a budget surplus and paying off the national debt. Guess Mrs H and I will be staying here for a bit longer.

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Childcatcher

So you did exactly what they wanted, in a democracy the politicians should be afraid of the voters - not the other way around. To paraphrase Brendan Behan, "I have never seen a situation so dismal that a blogger couldn't make it worse."

1. DropBear
        Meh

Nah...

In almost any practical democracy today the politicians are exactly as afraid of the voters and their choices as mobile carriers are terrified about you moving to one of the other ones due their abysmal customer service. Except of course all of them are exactly equally shitty and they know that you know that.

4. hmv

If you're not bothering to vote - don't bother complaining about politicians.

5. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

New list for HR-filtering your resume/CV

You know that Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and other such companies are going to be able to use this list to FILTER YOUR RESUME in case you actually WANTED to work there...

then again any self-respecting Tea Party member (official or otherwise) wouldn't WANT to work for any of those companies...

1. Comments are attributed to your handle

Re: New list for HR-filtering your resume/CV

"are going to be able to" - maybe. Will they actually do it? Nope.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah yes, the cloudy equivalent of "chmod -R 777 *", no doubt. Although you'd have be dumb as a tree stump to screw up S3 perms like that, as long as you bothered to read the doc. Of course I suppose those involved with that PAC are probably not big on reading. Karma for mouth breathers (or those that pander to them).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah yes, the "if you don't agree with me you must be stupid" attitude that kills any chance for useful discussion...

2. Nate Amsden

as long as you bothered to read the doc

Haven't you got the memo? People haven't read the docs for just about anything for a long time now. ESPECIALLY the kind of folks that put data like this on a service like S3.

As someone who has been told they write awesome documentation time and time again I can't even begin to count the times when someone asked me "what about X?" only to point them to documentation (that is easily searchable) written (usually) years earlier. I could understand "I browsed document X but it was last updated in 2014 is the info still valid?" kind of questions.

7. Comedy of Errors

Tea Party hypocrisy

The Tea Party? That will be the same people who chanted "Lock her up" about Hilary Clinton's alleged weak email security. I expect they will now all be out on the streets chanting for Tea Party officials to be locked up too?

Um...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tea Party hypocrisy

Well, Hilary didn't get locked up, so why would these guys? It's not like it was Confidential, Secret or Top Secret info, right?

Of course any Dems who are out in the street chanting for these Tea Party officials (and there will be, I'm sure) won't believe they are hypocrites.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: Tea Party hypocrisy

Well, Hilary didn't get locked up, so why would these guys? It's not like it was Confidential, Secret or Top Secret info, right?

Quite right, she didn't get locked up, just like you didn't read the OP's post properly. There was no mention there of Democrats chanting for the TP people to be locked up, their point was that by their own 'logic', those same people should now be chanting to lock themselves up.

Disclaimer - before you start categorising me as an enemy voter, I'm not a supporter of any US political party, I'm not even left-pondian, but I am perfectly able to observe and comment upon the idiocy on display there.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Read the article, this time actually read it`

Read the article - this time, actually READ it. "an outfit called L2 Political" caused the leakage. They are hired out by whomever can pay their fees. The article says that "That same organization worked on Barack Obama’s 2012 reelection campaign". So all the commentards who are blasting right-wingers can now get going and bash left-wing looney Obama lovers too.

A Tea Party member might think that the moral of this article is, "Don't hire an outfit that pandered to that left-winger Obama in the past." That's not the point of the article. To me, the moral is, "Keep an eye on who you subcontract, they could be lax with data security." That's well within the IT angle.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like