back to article IBM talks 'emerging, high value segments' – so you know the Q3 numbers aren't great

IBM saw its stock price take a hit Tuesday afternoon after the enterprise tech giant saw quarterly revenues miss the mark. For the Q3 2018 period, ending September 30: Revenues of $18.8bn were down 2 per cent from the year-ago total of $19.2bn and well short of analyst estimates of $19.2bn. Net income of $2.7bn was down 1 …

1. Mayday
    Devil

Ginny's bonus

Time for some more Resource Actions!

2. nerdbert
    FAIL

How to leak information...unintentionally

IBM has SG&A expenses that are almost 3x R&D expenses.

Intel has SG&A expenses that are less than half their R&D expenses.

And you wonder why IBM is so screwed up?

1. Korev Silver badge
      Joke

Re: How to leak information...unintentionally

Probably why Intel didn't buy my lunch when they visited yesterday

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How to leak information...unintentionally

Just to point out that SG&A includes the salaries of all the technical people involved in the sales process and not just those of the beancounters and pen pushers. Firing tech sales staff (as IBM have been doing) is pretty much as bad for the long-term health of the company as firing R&D staff.

3. cloth

only us then

Sign of the times that only the three of us have commented !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: only us then

All my IBM tales are the same as everyone else's..

Mismanaged, tupeed, offshored... Being asked back..

Spending longer doing THREE timesheets on a Friday than I did with my morning's required deskside fixes.

Indian service desks..

No leadership in sight... They just lurked over Sametime. The old non IBM staff reminiscing about when ALL their IT were in house.

And that's just the service side. I don't wish unemployment and failure on... Many... But IBM have consistently failed to adapt to the times.

Still, robbed an official ThinkPad mouse from the storeroom on my last day at the last contract. Because they sent me home at noon... Then brought me back in for the rest of the afternoon as sending me home at the end of my contract was an oversight.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: only us then

Don't forget your TPS reports, with the new coversheet.

4. Sean o' bhaile na gleann

Way back, when I was still at school, we had a 'Careers Advisor' who told me "Computers, my boy! They're the coming thing!".

That turned out to be sound advice as, 9 years after the introduction of the S/360 line by I Believe in Magic, I landed my first job in the computer industry as a Trainee Computer Operator.

Now, after 45 years of gainful employment on the same line of machines and operating systems, I'm looking retirement in the face. All I can say is "It's a shame to see you going down, IBM. But it's been a helluva ride - Thanks!"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry, just venting

Shares continue to get more affordable. IBM buying back IBM stock, that's an emerging market.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That mainframe gift keeps on giving..,,

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like