back to article Leaked memo: No internet until you clean your bathroom, Ecuador told Julian Assange

Like a weary mother laying down the law, London's Ecuadorian embassy has slapped WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange with a nine-page memo of house rules to follow if he wants to see the internet again under their roof. On Sunday WikiLeaks said in a statement that Ecuador would "remove the isolation regime imposed on [Assange]", …

1. RGE_Master

Putting it bluntly, had he left at the time Sweden wanted him, he'd be a free man by now. Have you seen the prisons in Sweden, he'd have more freedom there that he does in London.

He's currently sat there, laughing, without a doubt going stir crazy. It's clear Ecuador is getting a little more than pissed off as well since they are now giving him rules that he must adhere to.

1. 0laf

I don't think the Swedish prison was the issue rather the Swedish extradition treaty with the US. US prisons being somewhat less pleasent than Swedish ones and I doubt the US legal and government services would be keen on letting him out, ever.

1. RGE_Master

Good point, well presented... I think I'd rather die than end up in an American Prison.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
          Devil

@RGE_Master

Unless it's Club Fed...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think I'd rather die than end up in an American Prison.

I think that's the idea behind "deterrence".

1. Rich 11

I think that's the idea behind "deterrence".

But at least ending up in an American prison isn't an actual death sentence. Mostly. They're certainly happy to consign people to cruel and unusual punishment though.

If it's deterrence which is the aim then something has gone badly wrong. The US has the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world yet also the highest crime rate in the OECD. Sounds like the War on Crime is about as effective as the War on Drugs.

1. midcapwarrior

Highest incareration of any western country not any country

Unless you believe North Korea, Syria, Cuba, Russia and any other third world dictatorship report their incarceration rate.

I'd say it's more punitive than it is deterrence

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: Highest incareration of any western country not any country

Any *country*

https://www.statista.com/statistics/262962/countries-with-the-most-prisoners-per-100-000-inhabitants/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/06/prisons/html/nn2page1.stm

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/28/us/mass-incarceration-five-key-facts/index.html

(unless you believe these groups were somehow fooled by non-western statistics)

2. cray74

The US has the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world yet also the highest crime rate in the OECD

Crime RATES or total number of crimes? The US undoubtedly has higher murder rates (absolute and per capita) with only the OECD's Turkey giving it a challenge on a per capita basis, but its rates of property crime (burglary, mugging, theft) and assault are less exceptional on a per capita basis. The UK, for example, has higher burglary and robbery per capita than the US.

3. Teiwaz

Good point, well presented... I think I'd rather die than end up in an American Prison.

There's a good chance of ill health in British Prisons of late as well. At least the U.S spends money on theirs.

Of course, after brexit we'll have all this spare cash, and no ECJ at some point, ooh, they'll be able to make it all up as they go along and bang up everyone they think deserves it.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
        Boffin

@0laf Bzzzt!

First, had been arrested in Sweden before fleeing jurisdiction. He would have been sent back to Australia, long before any extradition request would have been sent. So bollocks to that.

Second, even if he had gone back to Sweden from the UK, again the UK could have nixed any extradition such that he would still have gone back to Australia when it was over.

That said, Australia would have handed him over 'toot sweet' [sic] Meaning that he was already arrested for hacking US systems while a kid so he has a record in Australia and the complaint would have been a second offense against the US. Not to mention the US and Australia are on good terms.

So if the US wanted him... they would get him via the Australian Government.

3. phuzz Silver badge
        Facepalm

He was so worried about Sweden extraditing him to the US, that he fled to the UK.

Because, as we all know, there's no chance of the UK cooperating with an extradition request from the US is there?

4. DrXym

"I don't think the Swedish prison was the issue rather the Swedish extradition treaty with the US."

As opposed to now where his self-inflicted situation has merely deprived him of his liberty for those years and any extradition/sentence (if they are forthcoming) will be consecutive to that. Great plan.

If he had promptly surrendered to Swedish authorities his likely rape sentence would have be a year or two (assuming convicted) and even if he'd been extradited to the US and sentenced, then chances are he'd be through the better part of that by now. Instead he has all that to look forward to.

5. Scorchio!!

Olaf, under the terms of the EAW Sweden could not release him to the USA for any reason; he could only be in Sweden on account of the allegations made against him. By fleeing to the UK he put himself in greater jeopardy, since Tony Blair gave the US a bend over, anything goes agreement. What happened is this; the police in Sweden advised his legal counsel that they intended, per Swedish CJS rules, to interview and then charge him. His counsel advised him. He fled to the UK, and the rest is history.

6. Stork Silver badge

I doubt he would be extradited to the US. Political offences are specifically exempt, and I would think this should be easy for a lawyer to argue.

His problem may be to be told to leave Sweden, and then to avoid going to the US.

Perhaps his mate Farage could put a word in with the Donald?

7. JohnG

"I don't think the Swedish prison was the issue rather the Swedish extradition treaty with the US."

But the US never charged Assange (what would they charge him with? - he is not a US citizen) nor have the US authorities presented an extradition request for Assange to any country. The UK's extradition treaty with the USA is at least as strong as the one with Sweden and Britain might be more inclined to go along with " extraordinary rendition" than non-NATO Sweden. While Trump has expressed in interest in Assange, Obama's administration did not. Had he resolved everything with Sweden at the outset (it seems likely that they would not have actually taken the case to court), Assange could be long gone by now.

1. LucreLout

what would they charge him with? - he is not a US citizen

What possible defence to anything do you think that provides? American law considers that it has global reach, and his crimes are against American interests, so he's certainly within what they consider to be the scope of their law.

While Trump has expressed in interest in Assange, Obama's administration did not.

Indeed - he waited out one President, who barely even knew he existed, and who pardonned the person he got to do his dirty work, and waited until another was in situ who may be more volatile and definitely is aware of his existence. Stupidity reigns.

2. tmTM

It's clear Ecuador is getting a little more than pissed off

It's another step in convincing him to finally leave.

He was only going to be welcome for as long as he could curry favour with the Ecuadorian political establishment.

The winds are starting to change and they don't want him sat on their Sofa much longer.

1. Persona Silver badge

Re: It's clear Ecuador is getting a little more than pissed off

I'm hoping that the embassy will boot him out and he will flee the country before the UK authorities notice. Then at some later time when he is seeking publicity in some far flung country he will be arrested and extradited. For maximum irony, ideally I'm really hoping he will be in the USA and get extradited back to the UK to serve his time for skipping bail.

3. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

@RGE_Master ...

Actually, had he not fled, he would have been arrested, faced the charges and would have been tossed out of the country most likely not serving any jail time except for any time he would have spent while charged awaiting trial.

That's how cocked up this thing really is.

He's trying to play the role of a martyr yet had he stayed and faced the music, he would have been labeled a typical Aussie sexual predator / lout. End of story.

He would have been sent packing back to Australia and that would have been it.

4. Mark 85

It's clear Ecuador is getting a little more than pissed off as well since they are now giving him rules that he must adhere to.

Well, he's a "guest". The rules don't seem that harsh and most are common courtesy. If you're a guest, don't be a jackass, basically.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Well, he's a "guest". The rules don't seem that harsh and most are common courtesy. If you're a guest, don't be a jackass, basically.

But being a jackass (or grabass) is how this whole mess started (allegedly). One odd aspect is the way some people approve of Assange, yet disapproved of Kavanaugh's election to the Supreme Court. I guess Assange pre-dated a lot of the #MeToo attention. Also just as well he didn't try hiding in the Saudi embassy, although they do seem rather handy at disappearing people.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I think I'd rather die than end up in an American Prison."

You and the American Prison system share that view. As an American, I'm sort of sad you'd even have to think about it. Maybe one day we'll achieve 3rd world prison standards and bring back public executions. After all, Death Row inmates now have it better than the homeless and even some of the lower poverty levels (it's all out of whack).

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"and bring back public executions"

Well, indeed. If you are too embarrassed to do it in public, perhaps you shouldn't be doing it.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Well, indeed. If you are too embarrassed to do it in public, perhaps you shouldn't be doing it."

There are quite a few countries which still have the death penalty, although far fewer of them actually still use it. There an interesting list of countries who have executed people in the last 5 years, an even shorter list of executions carried out last year, of which the USA is still a club member. I wonder if there a link between strongly religious countries and the death penalty?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-45835584?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cp7r8vgl2rgt/reality-check&link_location=live-reporting-story

Countries that carried out executions between 2013 and 2017:

Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Botswana, Chad, China, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Malaysia, Nigeria, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Taiwan, Thailand (2018), United Arab Emirates, USA, Vietnam and Yemen.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

5. LucreLout

Putting it bluntly, had he left at the time Sweden wanted him, he'd be a free man by now. Have you seen the prisons in Sweden, he'd have more freedom there that he does in London.

Yes, but then he'd most likely be a convicted rapist or other flavor of sex offender. That'd rather undermine what he perceives as his credibility. Having made up the lie of hiding from American aggression and using it as an excuse to duck the Swedish investigation, he pretty much can't come out, at least unless we grant him safe passage to a non-extradition country, which we obviously won't do.

It's clear Ecuador is getting a little more than pissed off as well since they are now giving him rules that he must adhere to.

I assume if they had any idea he'd still be in the embassy all these years later, they'd have turned his request down flat.

Ultimately, the best way to make sure he leaves is to simply deny him the oxygen of publicity. He seems to me to be a shallow megalomaniac with an ego the size of a small planet (or spacestation). Denying him external communication is a good way to reduce that oxygen. He'll never leave otherwise.

There is no possible future in which either the UK grants safe passage to a non-extradition country without leaving the embassy and being arrested for bail jumping, and there is no possibility of an American president granting him immunity such that he feels safe from extradition. The irony being, of course, that Sweden was a lot less likely to extradite him than we are - see the "Natwest three" for details. Eventually, he's going to just have to leave and face the music - the only real question is how much he's willing to make his children suffer before he does, or whether he dies of cancer or something beforehand.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ultimately, the best way to make sure he leaves is to simply deny him the oxygen of publicity.

I think you could have ended that sentence right after "oxygen".

It would also ensure he finally gets some colour. OK, it would be blue rather than pink, but I deem anything but his current pasty white an improvement.

:)

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Putting it bluntly, had he left at the time Sweden wanted him, he'd be a free man by now

Depends on the STD he may have so generously donated. IMHO it's the only reason that makes sense of the whole affair: why he bailed after praising Sweden's liberal attitude, the girls asking the police to get in touch with him and the morphing from an initial complaint into a criminal investigation.

Personally I think the expiry part of such investigations is wrong - Assange demonstrated how that can be used to dodge them despite a European arrest warrant for his unwashed backside.

7. IsJustabloke
      Meh

yes but...

"he'd be a free man by now"

he'd also be a forgotten footnote in the history of twats.

And he'd never be happy with that.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

#FreeEmbassyCat

#MeowToo

1. Chris King

Re: #FreeEmbassyCat

#MeowToo

#CatLivesMatter (All nine of them)

1. Commswonk

Re: #FreeEmbassyCat

I am of the view that the Ecuadorian Embassy staff have taken this stance following complaints from the cat.

It must find the smell intolerable, and I don't mean the litter tray...

3. Andy 97

Why would he leave?

A central London pad with all the comforts of a nation's "shop window" for free.

He doesn't even need to do any work to pay rent.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Why would he leave?

People pay to live in central London so that they can enjoy all that central London has to offer. Assange currently enjoys the same walls 24 hours a day.

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Embassy should make him pay his way. Bit of admin , clean the toilets , make the brews

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Given his legendary approach to personal hygiene, you probably don't want him making your coffee just after he's scrubbed the toilet. Let alone touching the biscuits...

2. LucreLout

Embassy should make him pay his way. Bit of admin , clean the toilets , make the brews

Any civilised thinking person would have offered to do all that on day one.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Any civilised thinking person would have offered to do all that on day one.

Allow me to highlight the problematic word in your sentence.. The man has about as much sophistication as the back end of a concrete mixer.

4. MonsieurTM

Apparently other restrictions:

"Visitors are also slapped with new restrictions. They must submit visit requests in writing to the embassy chief, giving their name, nationality, profession and place of work, reason for visiting, email and social media accounts, and even the serial numbers for phones and other devices they wish to bring inside. The new rules even mandate the collection of IMEIs, unique identification numbers specific to a phone handset.

While repeat visitors receive a less restrictive screening process, they can have their access revoked at any time without an explanation. All visitor data will be turned over to the Ecuadorian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other unspecified parties.

The restrictions include a threat to use UK police to arrest visitors or seize communications equipment should the journalist violate the lengthy list of rules. Adding insult to injury, the embassy threatened to remove Assange's cat to a shelter should they decide he is not cleaning up after the animal properly."

So if one wishes to visit Assange, one has to give over significantly intrusive details that may be passed on to "... other unspecified parties.". Wow. So potential total loss of "freedom" and welcome to no-fly lists, intrusive (TSA) customs searches, etc, etc.

It is disgusting that Assange is held, without trial in an effective jail for so long. Call ourselves civilised: 3rd world countries must be laughing at our hypocrisy.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Mushroom

RE:It is disgusting that Assange is held, without trial

Oh do fuck off.

Assange has only himself to blame. And to try and pretend he is equivalent to the real victims of terror states, and arbitrary imprisonment is an insult to them.

1. Chris Miller

Re: RE:It is disgusting that Assange is held, without trial

Exactly, Jimmy - Assange is entirely free to leave the embassy whenever he wishes. Of course, he will then have to account for his actions, including failure to answer to bail, something he has shown extreme reluctance to do. Some of his former friends may wish to talk to him about the bail they put up, as well.

2. skuba*steve

It is disgusting that Assange is held, without trial in an effective jail for so long

"It is entirely his own doing that he is hiding from a trial under the protection of another sovereign state to avoid extradition"

FIFY

3. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

So, by your reasoning, if I'm ever on the run from the law, I can come and sleep on your sofa, eat from your fridge, and if you ask me to clean the toilet after myself, I'm being imprisoned, despite the fact that I can leave at any time and am living rent free in your house, and you're not handing me over to the cops?

You, sir, are a total bell-end.

4. James O'Shea

"It is disgusting that Assange is held, without trial in an effective jail for so long."

He's not being held anywhere. He can walk out of his rent-free accommodations any time he wants. To be sure, he will then get different rent-free accommodations. And a free flight to sunny Sweden, followed by more rent-free accommodations.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Boffin

@James O'Shea

Not quite.

At this point, its not clear that Sweden will still want him. There's just a single charge and if put on trial, memories would have faded so Sweden may take a pass.

This doesn't stop the UK for enforcing the jumping bail. And they will do that since he's cost them a pretty penny in terms of overtime.

He 'walks out' or is dumped out, he will face UK music, then back to Australia. Then its up to Jeff Sessions to see if the US wants him or not.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Re: @James O'Shea

This doesn't stop the UK for enforcing the jumping bail. And they will do that since he's cost them a pretty penny in terms of overtime.

Are they *still* doing the "copper-stood-outside" thing, it was costing a million a year or something ridiculous, or did they call it a day?

1. Saruman the White Silver badge

No, they stopped that several years ago. However you can be sure that if Assange does decide to leave, old Motor Mouth will let everyone and their dog (or cat) now about it. At that point the plods will make sure that they are in a position to greet His Dickheadness with open handcuffs.

1. Ian Michael Gumby

@Saurman Re: @James O'Shea

There were 3 charges and 2 of them had their statutes of limitations run out.

The third charge still exists.

The Swedes could still want him, but I don't think its a high priority for them these days.

Assange may be a twat, but he's not stupid. If he can flee and can get out of the country (e.g. dye his hair brown and get on the chunnel to France using an Ecuadorian passport...) He won't say anything until he's well outside of UK's jurisdiction.

He'd then risk an extradition request for jumping bail, however I seriously doubt that they would do it or even a country attempt to honor it.

But no, he won't get out of the embassy without getting nabbed.

2. d3vy

"Are they *still* doing the "copper-stood-outside" thing"

Spent last week in the capital, stayed at a hotel in Belgravia just round from the embassy so passed it most days. If they're still keeping watch they're hiding.. or doing it remotely.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"To be sure, he will then get different rent-free accommodations. And a free flight to sunny Sweden, followed by more rent-free accommodations."

After trials, of course, and assuming he's found guilty. In fact, it's trials he's trying to avoid.

1. WolfFan Silver badge

After trials, of course

He's flat-out guilty of bail jumping. He'll be in rent-free accommodation while being tried for that, slightly different rent-free accommodation for a while (3 months? 6 months? A year? Something like that) after being found guilty, then he'll be in rent-free accommodation in Sweden until his trial there. No-one is gonna let him out on bail again, he's the definition of 'flight risk'. Even if found 'not guilty' in Sweden (it is to laugh...) he's looking at months to years in rent-free government accommodations. Not quite up to the standards of his current rent-free government accommodations, to be sure, but rent-free government accommodations none the less. And, guilty or not guilty, the Swedes will almost certainly put him on an aircraft to Oz when they're done with him. If the US wants him (not likely), there will be an extradition request waiting on him as he steps off the aircraft, and he'll be on another aircraft bound for more rent-free government accommodations while he awaits trial in the Federal system. Which is severely backlogged, so he'll be waiting for quite some time. If the Feds wanted to be cruel, which is what the Feds do best, they'd keep him parked in some county sheriff's stockade awaiting trial right up to the limits allowed under 'speedy trial' laws, and then cut him loose. And deport his ass to Ecuador. He is, after all, an Ecuadorian citizen.

5. Mr Humbug

"Adding insult to injury, the embassy threatened to remove Assange's cat to a shelter should they decide he is not cleaning up after the animal properly."

I don't understand why people think this is unreasonable. If it was my embassy he wouldn't have been allowed to bring a cat in the first place.

1. LucreLout

I don't understand why people think this is unreasonable. If it was my embassy he wouldn't have been allowed to bring a cat in the first place.

My embassy dogs would have seen it off. If it's my embassy, it has dogs.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If it was my embassy, the cat wouldn't have been allowed to bring an Assange in the first place!

6. macjules

3rd world countries must be laughing at our hypocrisy.

Nope, those are the ones hosting him and asking him to clean up the loo afterwards. Perhaps you should go round there and help him clean his loo? Stand firm, democracy needs you!

7. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Ambiguous Phrases Я Us

> It is disgusting that Assange is held, without trial in an effective jail for so long.

Indeed, we should take every action to ensure he is tried. More than once if necessary.

8. Warm Braw

It is disgusting that Assange is held

Considering what can happen inside a Saudi consultate, I think you need to recalibrate your Tunbridgewellometer.

9. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Visitors can solve this problem by not taking their phones into the embassy with them. Although I think the real problem is that his mates have been smuggling him kit that he's been using in ways the embassy don't approve of.

I'm not sure if he'd hacked their system before, so much as one of the diplomats had given him access. But nonetheless he had supposedly used the embassy's internal comms systems in some way, which is a rather rude abuse of his hosts. And given the guy has a conviction for hacking, the embassy have a legitimate worry about his visitors bringing him unknown electronics.

As for the "held without trial" bollocks: Who is holding him? Nobody is stopping him from leaving the embassy. He can do that any time he wants to. Obviously he'll have to face arrest for breaking bail, and then the Swedes have got those 2 rape charges that haven't yet passed the 10 year statute of limitations - which I assume they'll pursue once they can.

But that's how things are supposed to be. Open justice, openly arrived at. He's alleged to have raped two women, for which he should stand trial so he (and his victims) get to have their day in court - and those accusations can be tested.

If the US government have a go at extraditing him, much better to do that in Sweden, who have a proper extradition treaty - unlike the shit one Tony Blair lumbered us with.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: @MonsieurTM

"I have the utmost respect for Wikileaks and what they tried to achieve (I still do)"

The problem with Wikileaks can mostly be summed up as "Julian Assange"

11. Mark 85

It is disgusting that Assange is held, without trial in an effective jail for so long. Call ourselves civilised: 3rd world countries must be laughing at our hypocrisy.

Seriously? He's there by choice. It's their "house" and their rules. You need more downvotes.

1. Kernel

"Seriously? He's there by choice. It's their "house" and their rules. You need more downvotes."

Actually it's a significantly more than their "house" - legally it's their country, their rules - I do agree with you regarding down votes.

His visitors need to remember they are not visiting him in someone's office, they are effectively traveling to another country to make the visit and that country can pretty much impose whatever rules they like at their border crossing (front door).

Kernel,

It's a common misconception that embassies are sovereign territory. They're not. They're just property owned by foreign governments that's protected by international treaties and conventions.

For example, we expelled all those Russian spies after the Skripal murder. But we undoubtedly

knew who they were already - and tolerated them. Because we have a bunch of spies in our embassy in Moscow. It's convenient to maintain the fiction that they're all diplomats.

What Ecuador did was to abuse that hospitality by granting Assange asylum, mostly in an attempt to look anti-American for voters at home. Which probably pissed the FCO off far more than the spying that all embassies normally do. In short, they took the piss. I think that's why we've given them so little help I finding a way to back down but save face.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Actually it's a significantly more than their "house" - legally it's their country, their rules

This is a pervasive myth - there is a "rule of inviolability" which means UK police etc need the permission of the Ambassador to enter, but the building is owned by whoever owns it (some embassy buildings are leased) and the territory is very much still that of the host nation - ie UK.

The UK can revoke the embassy's status any time it feels justified under the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act and then enter without permission - there would be diplomatic upset, but no legal consequences if it did.

The UK can revoke the embassy's status any time it feels justified under the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act and then enter without permission - there would be diplomatic upset, but no legal consequences if it did.

We passed that act because of the Libyan embassy and the murder of PC Yvonne Fletcher. Actually I don't think we'd have even used it then, because (from memory) they only fired out of the window a couple of times and stopped - they weren't a continuing danger to everyone. But the idea was to have the legal power to deal with the situation - plus we also had the Iranian embassy siege and what would we have done had Iran refused us permission to storm the place and save the hostages?

However that's a provision of UK law. I don't believe it's (directly) derived from anything in the Vienna Conventions. So it's very much the nuclear option. If we ever use it, then we've massively reduced the protection that the Vienna Conventions provide to our embassies around the world. Because some dodgy government will always be able to invent a national security reason to do the same to us. In the case of Libya allowing a diplomat to shoot out of the windows it could be justified - to get hold of Julain Assange - no way! He's not worth the increased risk of death/kidnapping to our diplomatic staff - but people randomly shooting around the streets of London would be.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

>Actually I don't think we'd have even used it then

Absolutely we would have. In practice its existence is sufficient to force the embassy to push out individuals wanted for serious offences as 'or else' has actual teeth.

>So it's very much the nuclear option. If we ever use it, then we've massively reduced the protection

The Police used the Act the year after it was passed to break into the Cambodian Embassy and serve eviction notices.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

12. tuppence

he's not being held though.. he ran off and hid.....

13. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> It is disgusting that Assange is held, without

> trial in an effective jail for so long. Call ourselves

> civilised: 3rd world countries must be laughing at our hypocrisy.

Hi Julian! Got your internet acess back I see! Been scrubbin' the 'ole toilets, eh?

14. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@MonsieurTM

Welcome back Voland's Right Hand - I see you are still trotting out the same sub-standard trolling on behalf of your favourite former super power.

15. IceC0ld

3rd world countries

=====

the only laughing the said 3rd world countries will be doing is at why TF we haven't had him topped yet ffs

5. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

It's no good without genuine pictures of his cat.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

The BBC has put up a file copy of the particular feline - looking much smarter than it's human carer.

"Julian Assange given feline ultimatum by Ecuador"

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Coat

anthonyhededus,

Surely it's not that hard to find pictures of pussies on the internet...

1. MiguelC Silver badge

@not Spartacus

I'm just not sure why would anyone want to look at Assange's pussy....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So in other words

Assange appears to be a lazy slob resulting in a filthy bathroom and a neglected pet. When you add to that him turning out to be a Guccifer 2.0 Russian "useful idiot", one has to wonder why Ecuador bothers with the guy.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: So in other words

It's seen as bad form to boot people out after granting asylum.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

I feel sorry for the Ecuadorians, he's clearly a vexatious asylee, and they must be sorely regretting their decision to let him in by now.

1. Killing Time

'I feel sorry for the Ecuadorians'

I genuinely feel sorry for the cat....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's seen as bad form to boot people out after granting asylum.

Indeed. Something else genuine asylum seekers - especially in South America - won't be thanking Assange for, as it suggests they'll find it harder in future.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

I guess they'll have to be subtle about it :

Increase his chores ...

ration the internet ...

gradually lower the temperature...

cheaper and cheaper coffee...

until he moves out :)

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
            Trollface

May be the Ecuadoreans could ring around the embassies in London of the more richer countries (not USofA, obviously) to ask if they can take in an asylum seeker and his cat. I suppose it should be ok as long as the Saudi Arabians don't offer to send a party over to escort him over...

1. WolfFan Silver badge

dumping Julie on another embassy

I'm sure that the various Nordic countries, with their proud traditions of granting asylum, would be happy to help. Hmm. Norway. Denmark. Finland. Sweden. Oh. Wait. Possibly not Sweden.

Or perhaps, oh, Australia.

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

It's seen as bad form to boot people out after granting asylum.

It was bad form to give him asylum in the first place.

There was no suggestion of anything untoward happening in the Swedish case, and justice was proceeding as it was supposed to. The Ecuadorian government did it as a bit of cheap political posturing, and so they deserve everything they've got. Admittedly I do feel sorry for the embassy staff, most of whom didn't ask for any of this, and just want a clean bog and not to be smelling cat poo from a litter tray that's not been cleaned out.

Admittedly had his paranoia been true, then it would have been too late to do anything had an extradition request come in from the US. But at least he'd have been in Sweden - and he'd have had his chance with due process like the rest of us have to face.

1. Goc

The thing is that the current Ecuadorian government is not the one that gave him asylum however now they are saddled with all the political decisions made by the previous government they don't agree with, including the Assange situation.

"The thing is that the current Ecuadorian government is not the one that gave him asylum"

While technically true, it's same political party in power.

"one has to wonder why Ecuador bothers with the guy."

It's one of those things that seemed a good idea at the time and now they're stuck with it.

7. Patched Out

Does anyone else ...

...think it ironic that this memo was leaked by another entity rather than Wikileaks?

Shoe, meet other foot.

Re: Does anyone else ...

I'd be surprised if it wasn't the Ecuadorian government who leaked it. In the ongoing PR war between Assange and their government.

He has a tendency to turn on anyone who helps him. See the people who put up his bail, the Guardian and New York Times, his authorised biographer, Ecuador, various ex colleagues at Wikileaks, Chelsea Manning etc. Actually Sweden itself. A place he said he was happy to live in and was going to apply for residency, and then once accused of rape - suddenly claimed was an evil lackey of Yankee Imperialism out to destroy freedom.

8. SVV

Please, someone set up a GoFundMe

For a battle of Cif bathroom cleaner and a few tins of Whiskas.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      Flame

@SVV Re: Please, someone set up a GoFundMe

Huh?

Seriously?

You'd think the Embassy could provide those already.

Here I was about to up vote you because I thought you were going to do it to save the cat.

1. Natalie Gritpants Jr

Re: @SVV Please, someone set up a GoFundMe

It is to save the cat, the CIF is so the cat can clean Julian.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Hi, it's the Internet here. I think you'll find it's spelt cat GIF, not cat CIF.

Coat

"I think you'll find it's spelt cat GIF"

But, but, but, how do you pronounce GIF?

1. MarkB

"But, but, but, how do you pronounce GIF?"

Carefully and competently.

2. Topperfalkon

The Embassy don't want to pay for his upkeep any more. Which is fair given he's been a bit of a nuisance since he's arrived

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

Re: Please, someone set up a GoFundMe

Whiskas ain't the problem. What you need to crowdfund is a self-emptying cat litter tray.

The alternative is to cut off supplies of Whiskas, and then the cat poo problem will eventually solve itself. Though that does leave you with the smelly cat corpse problem to deal with...

1. Chris King

"The alternative is to cut off supplies of Whiskas, and then the cat poo problem will eventually solve itself. Though that does leave you with the smelly cat corpse problem to deal with"

The cat will just clear off and find another tin-opener. It's not like the cat is subject to arrest if it leaves anyway.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Joke

Killit BANG* & the dirt is gone.

*Yes I know it's normally spelt with a "C".

2. veti Silver badge

If you could create a self-cleaning cat litter tray, you wouldn't need GoFundMe. Venture capitalists would be falling over themselves to shovel money at you.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

You don't need to create it: It already exists

1. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

You really, really don't want to use a catgenie. Go and read the Amazon reviews if you want to laugh and feel more than a little sick.

A self cleaning cat litter tray does not exist, unfortunately. It's just not possible to reasonably cope with the vast range of cat crap.

If I thought they'd actually work, I'd buy one like a shot, but with a cat that has digestive problems, the only way to handle a litter tray is manually.

"shovel money at you."

Your choice of verb is greatly appreciated.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The spelling of the middle word is incorrect.

9. UberMunchkin

He is free to leave any time he wants, frankly I think the embassy staff have gotten more than a little fed up with him and his BS.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> frankly I think the embassy staff have gotten more than a little fed up with him and his BS.

BS or BO?

[A: Both] :-)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It wouldn't be the first time he's got into trouble over...

11. Rich 2 Silver badge

Hee Hee Hee

Ecuador (or rather the poor souls having to put up with him in the embassy) must be getting REEEEEEEEEEEALY fed up with JA by now.

Maybe run a poll - The top ten things you did and regretted later;-

#1 Giving JA refuge

12. Maelstorm Bronze badge

Considering....

Considering that this guy published STOLEN documents belonging to the United States Government (confidential, secret, top secret), I support the move to have him brought here to the US to stand trial under espionage charges. He published over 250,000 diplomatic cabals between the State Department and our embassies, now there's the whole Vault 7 thing which consists of communications, documents, and source code that was stolen from the CIA's internal, air-gapped network. This guy needs 'el Chappo' Guzman as a cell mate.

Personally, I welcome his current accommodations. A self imposed prison sentence at the hands of a foreign nation. If more criminals could be like him we wouldn't need jails.

One other thing. The UK says they will arrest him if he leaves the embassy. The question becomes what if Ecuador grants him diplomatic immunity? Or if they sneak him out? Surely the UK is not searching diplomatic vehicles. They could smuggle him out to an undisclosed airport and send him to Ecuador.

1. sandman

Re: Considering....

I think that perhaps a branch of the US govt (there are many overlapping jurisdictions) would find it much easier to "pick him up" in Ecuador than even in the UK...

2. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

@Maelstorm

The question becomes what if Ecuador grants him diplomatic immunity? Or if they sneak him out? Surely the UK is not searching diplomatic vehicles. They could smuggle him out to an undisclosed airport and send him to Ecuador.

It's long been debated here on El Reg if that solution was viable, the general consensus being that it wasn't, given that host nation hosting said diplomat (the UK in this case) have to approve all diplomats. Ecuador went ahead and tried anyway, granting Asshinge citizenship of Ecuador and applying for him to be made a diplomat. Now, Asshinge is an Ecuadorian citizen and still not a diplomat as the UK refused the application. So not viable a viable way out.

3. Saruman the White Silver badge

Ecuador did try to give him diplomatic immunity a couple of years ago; I suspect so that they could get him on an aircraft to South America. HMG refused to agree to it (diplomatic immunity is only valid if the recipient country agrees to it, you cannot just extend it to anyone you like) . The whole point of diplomatic immunity is that it is not supposed to be abused; Ecuador came within a cat's whisker of breaking this rule!

4. Jon 37

Diplomatic immunity has to be *requested* by Ecuador, and the UK government can choose to grant it or not. In Julian's case, Ecuador did ask for diplomatic immunity and the UK said no.

The treaty that provides protection for Ecuador's genuine diplomats also says that they shouldn't smuggle him out. So for their own protection, the diplomats won't want to be involved in "sneaking him out".

Regarding "diplomatic vehicles", I don't think the building has a garage? I thought it was just a flat. In that case, he'd have to come out the building and through an area where he could be legally arrested, to get in the vehicle. Then he'd have the same problem trying to get out the vehicle into a plane. I'm not even sure if a diplomatic vehicle would provide any protection if the police knew there was a wanted fugitive in there.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

That's easily solved. Find someone who looks enough like him and have him visit, then get in a black, tinted window car wearing sunglasses and a baseball cap. Drive him to the nearest port. If the car gets stopped, show correct ID documents and tell the coppers: "You've got the wrong guy, I was just visiting". Do this enough times and at some point the police will just assume it's the same visitor leaving. Then leave the other guy in the embassy for a day and walk Julian Asshat out, put him on a boat then transfer him to a ship sailing to Ecuador in international waters.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The question becomes what if Ecuador grants him diplomatic immunity?"

ISTR that one was considered and dismissed.

"Or if they sneak him out? Surely the UK is not searching diplomatic vehicles."

Setting a precedent that might lead to such searches wouldn't be a good idea.

6. Stork Silver badge

I think (but IANAL) that he could argue he is a journalist and is thus protected by the right of free speech. Like e.g. Bernstein & Woodward, even if the comparison makes me cringe

13. Jay Lenovo

Ecuadorian Embassy or "Forever Home Rescue Foundation"

All they ask is that the pets(both human and cat) are house-broken and don't claw at the neighbors.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hyprocrites

Wow, just wow. Most of the commentards here better hope they never rat out someone powerful - many of whom have publicly called for his death, and who have the power and track record of doing just that -

And not one affected party claims any of it was anything but utter truth about the moral turpitude and lawbreaking of those he revealed the secrets of.

I guess the 5 eyes have plenty of astroturfers, or at least people working for them who were implicted by what wikileaks revealed. Who else would even care? Anyone thinking knew all this crap already, all Assange provided was proof in their own words, which again, they don't even deny.

And that's from someone who thinks he's a prick and did it mostly for his own ends. I don't care, I'm just glad the truth of actions by many officially empowered but very bad actors is out.

The keyboard warriors here who lack the same level of courage or morals should be ashamed. Things are this bad because no one else stepped up to the plate.

1. Mike Moyle

Re: hyprocrites

"The keyboard warriors here who lack the same level of courage or morals should be ashamed. Things are this bad because no one else stepped up to the plate."

...says the AC.

Who SAYS irony is dead?

Re: hippo crates

The keyboard warriors here who lack the same level of courage or morals should be ashamed. Things are this bad because no one else stepped up to the plate.

You heard the commentard! We all should have the moral fortitude to commit rape! And then the sheer courage to run from punishment!

Seriously, the one good thing he did was leak the cables. Pretty much everything else he has ever done (throwing the guy who actually got them under the bus, throwing various wikileaks "collegues" under the bus, throwing his "friends" who paid his bail under the bus. And, you know, rape as well) has been morally abhorrent at best. But hey, yeah, the world would be a better place if we were all like King Julian.

3. 2Nick3

I'll just point out that Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatma Ghandi both spent a lot of time in jail, knowing it was a consequence of their actions. They knew the law (right or wrong, it was the law they were under at the time), chose to violate it, and accepted the consequences. Before you put Julian Assange on that same pedestal you have to get past the fact that he is putting avoiding those consequences above trying to clear his name as an accused rapist.

1. Teiwaz

Before you put Julian Assange on that same pedestal you have to get past the fact that he is putting avoiding those consequences above trying to clear his name as an accused rapist.

Twisted out of control government agencies are not above tarring an individual with a nasty brush to undermine any popular support, it's dirty tricks 101, and the opening premise in Blacks Seven.

I'm not saying that's the deal in this case, but it's something to remember.

4. MrMerrymaker

You're on about bravery when you have a go at us with an anonymous account...

As the kids say, LOL

5. LucreLout

The keyboard warriors here who lack the same level of courage or morals should be ashamed.

Sorry kiddo, but in my considerd opinion, Assange has no morals and certainly no courage.

If I'd coaxed Brad Manning into doing what he did, I'd be sat in the cell next to his. When Chelsea Manning was released, I'd have been very pleased for her indeed. Julian is still hiding from his part int he whole affair because, I believe, he is a coward.

Don't lionise people and institutions so much, no living ones anyway, because they invariably turn out not to be who you thought they were - see generic lefites and Aung Sann Suu Kyi.

So, yes, I lack his morals and level of courage, because I actually have a moral framework, and the balls to back it up when called to account.

I can't make up my mind. Are you actually Julian, or just his pussy? (come on mods, the goal was open, I had the ball....)

15. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

Another question...

This may well have been answered over the years, but its been a while and my memory is giving up, so indulge me if you will:

Assange was quite happily living in Sweden before all of this. From what I remember, he wasn't furtively sneaking about the place, glancing nervously around corners or in to dark allyways, hiding behind overly large dark glasses and a turned up collar the whole time, he was attending social gatherings, meeting women and such. Then he is accused of rape and threatened with arrest and he flees the country, claiming Sweden will extradite him to the US.

Now, in the US, he has committed a crime (let's just go with this part, the rights and wrongs of what he did are not what I'm interested in) worthy of having him extradited. It wasn't a secret he was in Sweden, he was fairly vocal about it as I recall. So why would the US have had to wait to issue an extradition request? Was it even necessary that he committed a crime in Sweden? Or do the Swedish only extradite if someone has committed a crime on their soil? Because as we all know from recent cases, the British are quite happy to extradite anybody at the drop of a hat. So surely, he was less safe in the UK from an extradition point of view?

Basically, was he ever in any real danger in Sweden, aside from becoming a convicted rapist?

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Another question...

And there you have it. The entire "I'm sooooooooooooooooooo scared of the nasty US" sob story that some people have fallen for is a load of bollocks.

Bear in mind that if he had been extradited from the UK to Sweden, he would have been protected from the further extradition to the US he so claims to fear by both Swedish *and* UK law. Double bubble.

Re: Another question...

"Basically, was he ever in any real danger in Sweden, aside from becoming a convicted rapist?"

Maybe the danger was conviction and then being deport back to Oz from where he very likely would be extradited if anybody could have been bothered. The other danger, of course, was that of being ignored as a no more that a nasty little sex offender.

16. Chris King

Maybe they have a point ?

Scrub the bog and scoop the litter tray - even most teenagers get the hang of both eventually, even if there is much wailing of "Awwwwwwww, mum !"

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Untoward galore

I don't doubt that Mr Assange is someone I'd probably soon want to punch. Hard. Many times.

But, to claim that there is "no suggestion of anything untoward happening in the Swedish case" is wilful ignorance of the first order.

18. Christopher Aussant

One thing in the comments stands out pretty stark to the rest.... He is only ACCUSED of rape. He has not been CONVICTED of this crime. Treating him as a dirty rapist who should be thrown in gen pop without a trial is supposed to be wrong? Innocent until proven guilty? Or do we just get to label people you don't like with a horrible crime without ya know, evidence, guilt, jury trial..... Be a whole lot more "rapists" out there if we can just slap that on people we don't like.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

I refer you to the point made just above by " Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?" (Really? Are El Reg user handles really getting that hard to find?)

Assange was at large in Sweden, in public, after he pissed off the US. He *knows* the US could have asked for him then and didn't, so the onus is on him to explain why he is *now* in danger of being extradited.

Meanwhile, he *has* been convicted of jumping bail (in the UK) and jumping the country (in Sweden), so we don't need to make any presumptions about the rape case before we can call him a fugitive from justice.

And meanwhile meanwhile, in his position, if he was *genuinely* afraid of being extradited, he'd clean up his shit. He clearly isn't afraid. He clearly is avoiding court. Screw him.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Pint

Really? Are El Reg user handles really getting that hard to find?

You're new here arn't ya?

I got rather tired of seeing my RL name in the comments, so I changed it (Annoyingly losing my recently acquired Bronze Commentard badge in the process).

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: Really? Are El Reg user handles really getting that hard to find?

Lost badge - Happy to help +1 :)

anyone else in the whip-round?

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Really? Are El Reg user handles really getting that hard to find?

I don't think whipping him is the answer.

I refer you to the point made just above by " Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?" (Really? Are El Reg user handles really getting that hard to find?)

My real name is Gilbert, I just prefer it if people call me Ramases Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble.

1. Aladdin Sane

Could be worse, you could have an obsession with toast.

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

@Aladdin Sane

You should see my friends collection of singing potatoes!

2. Stevie

My real name is Gilbert, I just prefer it if people call me

And more power to you.

I was recently forced to go to LBGTQI sensitivity training. The trainer spent a long time going over the importance of identifying people the way *they* wanted to be identified, and asked us to "go round the room" stating our preferred identification. Mine was "Jason Bourne".

After endless lecturing by the trainer and help sheets that did more to alienate those already threatened by the whole idea (the materials were largely wikipedia articles on LGBTQI chat room terms and slang) he wound up by asking our opinions.

I told him that I had found some of the material informative, most of it not, and pointed out that no-one, not even he the trainer, had once referred to me as "Jason Bourne" which sort of derailed the entire thing. He spluttered about jokes, but I said that if a client announced that he identified as James Bond I would be technically in breach of my terms of employment if I reacted the same way when he did so.

So grab as many names as you want, Ramases Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble. It's not as though there are operating systems out there that *don't* implement cut'n'paste semantics.

3. Stevie

Or do we just get to label people you don't like with a horrible crime

I dunno.

Let's ask Cliff Richard. Or Garrison Keillor.

1. MrMerrymaker

Re: Or do we just get to label people you don't like with a horrible crime

Neither of those two became international fugitives to avoid clearing their name.

1. Stevie

Re: Neither of those two became international fugitives

True, but Keillor immediately lost his entire revenue stream when the cowardly radio company he dragged up out of the mud and made a going concern suspended all his shows without him ever coming to trial even though he denied the allegations of improper touching of an adult. I haven't listened to a second of Minnesota Public Radio ever since and they'll never see another penny of my subscription dollars.

I don't know how the media-fueled furor affected Cliff Richard, but I can guess it wasn't pleasant and I believe it was only the fact of his fame that he dragged himself clear of the baseless allegations of kiddie fiddling in the aftermath of the Jimmy Saville scandal.

My point was not the scale of the alleged crime, it was the rush to judgement based solely on a perceived wrongdoing and personal dislike, and the aftermath.

4. MrMerrymaker

OK, if you were called a rapist by the press, and it wasn't true, would you

A) prove it wrong and win, get damages, clear your name forever

B) run away forever refusing to comment, living in a single room to escape the authorities?

OUR JULES did the second.

BTW, innocent til proven guilty is a legal element - er, he's actively trying to circumvent the law. So excuse us for having a court of public opinion.

5. Killing Time

'Or do we just get to label people you don't like with a horrible crime without ya know, evidence, guilt, jury trial.....'

Personally I was ambivalent to him and just had him down as a self important no mark who just virtue signalled while having little concern for the outcome of his 'words'. However, its crystal clear from his 'actions' he is deliberately evading 'evidence, guilt, jury trial.....'

Now therefore, I really don't like him....

6. veti Silver badge

Nobody has convicted him of rape. True.

But what I don't see is anybody suggesting that he should be jailed for that without a trial. If you have seen such a suggestion, could you point to it?

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Treating him as a dirty rapist who should be thrown in gen pop without a trial is supposed to be wrong?"

Nobody's suggesting that. He should be sent back for trial. What happens after that depends on the outcome of the trial. Whilst not wanting to prejudge such trial one has to wonder if his leaving the country indicated his expectations of the likely outcome of the trial based on his own knowledge of his actions.

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He is only ACCUSED of rape. He has not been CONVICTED of this crime. Treating him as a dirty rapist who should be thrown in gen pop without a trial is supposed to be wrong?

Bzzt, wrong. People just want him to stand trial as anyone else would have to. His guilt in that matter is as yet not debated. That said, there is a curious asymmetry in your defence of St Jules here, in that you seem to pay zero attention to his victims (or alleged, for the moment) - they too have rights but have been as yet buried under a barrage of hate from Assange supporters.

They too have a right for him to be in court.

9. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

One of Assange's alleged victims stated very clearly that he had not raped her. The prosecutor's reply was that "she's not a lawyer".

But this isn't the stuff that those with closed minds want to hear, so roll on the down votes.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is Julian's cat leaving little "presents" on the carpet in the Ecuadorian embassy?

And what happens to Mittens if Julian is thrown in a British pokey??

1. Chris King

Re: Is Julian's cat leaving little "presents" on the carpet in the Ecuadorian embassy?

"And what happens to Mittens if Julian is thrown in a British pokey??"

Mittens gets a new Forever Home and heaves a big sigh of relief ?

1. Teiwaz

Re: Is Julian's cat leaving little "presents" on the carpet in the Ecuadorian embassy?

"And what happens to Mittens if Julian is thrown in a British pokey??"

Mittens gets a new Forever Home and heaves a big sigh of relief ?

And quite rightly too.

Calling a cat 'mittens' should be a imprisonable offence.

2. Trilkhai

I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, cats can be extremely attached to their people, especially if they're inside with the person 24/7, so being taken away by total strangers is traumatic. OTOH, it sounds like Assange may not be cleaning the litterbox (or waste on the floor), washing the water/food bowls, or cleaning & tossing/recycling any cat food tins, and that would be a very unhealthy environment for the cat to live in.

Hopefully either Assange will start taking proper care of the poor cat, or somebody it already trusts & likes will take it home to live with them.

3. 5p0ng3b0b

'Mittens gets a new Forever Home and heaves a big sigh of relief'

It would appear that Mittens is already heaving big sighs of relief all over the embassy floor. Should have named the cat Wiki instead of Mittens. JA could argue he can't even clean up his own mess let alone a cats. Perhaps both need neutering.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Perhaps both need neutering.

Now THAT needs a lot more upvotes than I can give, grin. Have mine as a starter :).

I'm interested in what's happening to Mittens right now. Don't pets need passports to cross international borders these day? Or is (s)he an "Indoor Cat"? If so, how did (s)he get in to the embassy in the first place?

"Don't pets need passports to cross international borders these day?"

There is no international border between an embassy and the host country.

20. Joe Harrison

Homeland Season 7

Fairly prophetic I thought especially the secret bunker where the evil deep-state hackers had their botnet C&C to flood "social media" with fake shill comments to influence opinion. I reckon that happened here.

"Sarge, there's another Assange story, am I cleared to proceed?"

"Sure thing son, unleash the sock-puppet army on the no-good sumbitch. Start with The Register they're all flakes anyway and it will blend in better"

21. rcxb Silver badge

It sure is nice that Assange is a man of his word and he immediately agreed to be extradited to the US when Pres Obama commuted Bradly Manning's sentence.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

How many people really buy his claim that the UK won't send him to the US but the Swedish would? Anyone???

It seems so very unlikely that the real reason he didn't want to be sent to Sweden is that he might have been found guilty of sexual assault.

#AssangeToo

23. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

I feel terribly sorry for them

Trapped with all the attention of the world on you, unable to leave or visit outside properly, with irritating room mates.

Mittens needs to be freed!

It should be the other way around. If Assange can't care for the cat, the cat should stay in the embassy, and Assange should leave.

24. HamsterNet

Somebody pull the fire alarm

PLease can somebody, anybody just pull the fire alarm in that embassy.

Fire service is allowed to evacuate an embassy and once he's out this can all be over and done with.

For full irony, I suspect he will eventually be committed for jumping bail, be given a small fine and let loose. With the painful knowledge, he just spent 6+ years in voluntary prison.

At this point, he must have had time to think of what possible outcomes he has. the UK is never going to let him get away with skipping bail. no matter how long he spends in hiding.

25. JimC

BBC Claims: Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder to take legal action against Ecuador

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45915017

Well, well, well. The man has a unique enthusiasm for biting the hand that feeds him doesn't he...

1. James O'Shea

Re: BBC Claims: Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder to take legal action against Ecuador

I just sent in a tip to El Reg on this and was coming here to comment.

Balls of steel. Brain of mud. Or possibly something else which is brown but is more, umm, organic.

1. Killing Time

Re: BBC Claims: Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder to take legal action against Ecuador

No big surprise though is it.

Realises his position is in jeopardy so he is getting his retaliation in first whilst trying to take the moral high ground.

Make Ecuador look like they are attacking him. There is no doubt he plays the role of the virtuous martyr quite effectively.

26. Mr. A. N. Onymous

Quit pissing on this seat, Jules. FFS.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like