back to article Es are good, Es are good. Xeon Es are good, says Intel: Entry-level workstation CPUs touted

Intel has done a bit of Xeon processor range in-filling, and brought its single-socket Kaby-Lake-based entry-level E3 workstation family up to date. Launched this week, the new 14nm Coffee Lake-based Xeon E-2100-series supersedes its Xeon E3 v6 cousins, which are aimed at basic professional workstations. The move increases …

1. Korev Silver badge

Love the title

Has anybody got any Veras? Loaaaavely

1. AbortRetryFail

Re: Love the title

Ahhh ha ha ha haaaaaaaa.

Got any salmon? Sorted.

1. defiler

Re: Love the title

IT angle?

Ebenezer banging away on a Psion Series 5 throughout the video, of course!

2. simonb_london

Dodgy CPU

This workstation has gone really weird. I think its got a Xeon K in it!

3. _LC_
    Thumb Down

It's broken, yet they keep selling.

x

1. defiler

Re: It's broken, yet they keep selling.

Really? FFS, what do you want "them" to do? Just stop selling any CPUs until all the bugs are fixed?

1) Good luck with fixing every permutation of every possible bug.

2) If you managed to, it'd probably be slow as hell.

3) Even if Intel held off selling chips for 18 months just to fix the Spectre bugs, they'd singlehandedly cause a global recession. Even if AMD didn't stop. Like it or not, Intel CPUs are the powerhouse of data industries.

Besides that, look like tasty chips. I'm thinking of a VMware setup for all my servers at home, and this could fit right in. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Really? FFS, what do you want "them" to do? Just stop selling any CPUs until all the bugs are fixed?

well, yes of course

You supporting them selling known broken kit as working is the reason that someone else is going to get screwed.

1. defiler

Re: Really? FFS, what do you want "them" to do?

You supporting them selling known broken kit as working is the reason that someone else is going to get screwed.

I do understand that, but stopping selling an imperfect product because there is no perfect product, for an extended period, is like being told not to breathe at all when evacuating a burning building because the air is a bit smoky.

I'm also not ignorant to the Pinto factor where a dangerous product continued to be sold with impunity because there was no punishment to the manufacturer, and people died as a result. I agree that that scenario is also no good.

Perhaps the solution would be to keep the existing processor ranges the same, and in parallel sell chips without these bugs. They'd be slower but more secure, and gradually the secure features could merge into the mainstream devices. But I bet I know which ones will sell much, much more, and there would be no guarantee of security on the slower ones, because nobody knows which other bugs will crop up.

2. kryptylomese

Go with Proxmox instead of VMware. Proxmox is far more versatile (it is linux under the hood so you can basically do anything with it) and allows you to create a resilient cluster using CEPH and doesn't need a VSphere node. BTW it is free

1. defiler

Go with Proxmox instead of VMware.

That uses KVM underneath. I looked at KVM, Xen, VMware and Hyper-V, but I need decent USB passthrough for some things. It seemed that VMware gave the best USB passthrough functionality, although you need VT-X or whatever it's called on the CPU to make it work properly.

I only need a single host, so the management tools are unnecessary. For me the biggest drawback to VMware is that you have to get expensive licensees to create RAID sets on the host. Even then, I want to spin the storage out to a separate box.

Hmmm. Looks like it'll run my Mikrotik CHR, and it's been a while since I looked. Maybe time to have another nose at it.

4. AngelaMcMahon

Naughty naughty

Intel

naughty

5. ntevanza

AMD

As far as I can see AVX-512 is the only reason to buy one of these. AMD seems to offer double the value for everything else.

Not all recent Xeons have all the AVX-512 instructions. Caveat emptor.

Not a shareholder of either company.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like