back to article JAXA probe's lucky MASCOT plonks down on space rock Ryugu without a hitch

Not content with unleashing a couple of robots to photograph the surface of asteroid Ryugu, JAXA probe Hyabusa2 successfully deployed the German MASCOT lander this morning. Released by means of a spring-loaded plate, the Mobile Asteroid Surface Scout was deployed from the Hyabusa2 51 metres above the surface of the asteroid, …

1. Steve K

Rumour

Rumours that MASCOT deployed a towel to its landing site 8 hours prior to actually landing are being denied by DLR sources.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: deployed a towel

Well, you wouldn't want to go all that way without knowing where your towel is

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rumour

This is one DLR that can make its trains landers operate without a hitch.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Rumour

"deployed a towel to its landing site 8 hours prior to actually landing" I thought German etiquette meant they no longer did that kind of thing.

2. Peter Mount

There's more to come...

Not got a date for it yet but early next year the 4th rover is due to land & before the end of next year the orbiter does a few sampling landings before coming home... this is one busy mission

3. W Donelson

We are both gods and fools.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I disagree; We are brilliant little children playing with the toys we've invented. I can't wait to see what happens next! :-)

4. Dr Who

Swing arm? Fly wheel? Roboteers stand by.

1. Anonymous Custard
      Boffin

Well given the history of such landers (and landings) a srimech device is probably not such a daft idea to include...

5. Elmer Phud

Finally!

We have a real Space Hopper!

6. Roger Varley

Wow! Just .... wow!

The title says it all.

1. KBeee
      Joke

Re: Wow! Just .... wow!

No need to be so impresed. It's not rocket science..

Oh wait

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

Flywheel ?

As I am obviously not as informed as some of my fellow esteemed commenters, I went a-hunting to find out what this mechanism was, and found this, which clarified everything.

There is, however, nary a flywheel anywhere.

Tsk, tsk.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Flywheel ?

The swingarm is also a flywheel.

See also the phrase: "Once the first measurements have been conducted, MASCOT – again driven by the flywheel – will change location and repeat the experiments there." from the link you made yourself. So it isn't El Reg that made that up.

PS: I think this article on the actual mechanism is applicable.

8. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Meanwhile, religion is worrying about same sex couples getting married.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Blame the narrow

Not 'religion', just some people. Religion does just fine without people manipulating it for their own purposes, often political/hierarchical. But continue on with your manipulations if you can't see that.

9. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

Brilliant stuff!

Love it! Rounds of sake at JAXA and lager at the DLR are certainly well deserved

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Raumfahrt?

Raumfahrt.

ROFLMAO!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Raumfahrt?

Yeah, I know, it's amazingly hilarious when words in a foreign language sound a little bit like the sort of thing which makes five year old children laugh hysterically.

Tell you what, why not do a Web search for the meaning of "Raumfahrt" (hint: it's German) and while you're at it find out what "Inselaffe" means too.

This message brought to you by yet another Brittunculi.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No sense of humor. Not that I take stereotypes seriously.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> "Yeah, I know, it's amazingly hilarious when words in a foreign language sound a little bit like the sort of thing which makes five year old children laugh hysterically."

Well, it passes the time...

3. cray74

Yeah, I know, it's amazingly hilarious when words in a foreign language sound a little bit like the sort of thing which makes five year old children laugh hysterically.

Jokes like that are the reason for the standing proposal before the International Astronomical Union to rename the seventh planet to Urrectum.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Perry Rhodan farts in your general direction.

11. VeganVegan
    Flame

Am I being too grumpy in my old age?

<grumpy tirade>

I find it annoying the way they cute-tify space probes, by anthropomorphing them (perhaps to reach a younger audience?)

NASA does it, and Japan is doing the same.

“Ooo, look, I farted some gas to change my course to the asteroid”, “My bad, I used non-metric units and completely missed my target”.

They are machines, designed by us! (Us, meaning talented humans). We can celebrate those who designed, built, and operate them, without needing to resort to baby talk.

</grumpy tirade>

For all this involve in the mission,kudos!

12. David Roberts
    Alien

Is that Adolf Hitler

Looking out of the window in the left hand side of the picture?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like