back to article AWS elbows Google Cloud aside in fight for SAP HANA customers

AWS has wheeled out a fresh version of EC2 with high amounts of memory available – up to 12TB today, the firm says, with promises of 24TB by next year. The intent is to make AWS attractive to users of large in-memory databases such as SAP HANA. "Combining the largest memory sizes available in the cloud with the agility and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How long?

How long will SAP/Oracle clouds last when they know AWS (and I'm sure Azure won't be far behind) can provide better features, higher availability and lower latency?

Ignore Oracle...turns out customers weren't using them in the first place...

1. Rob 54

Re: How long?

SAP have basically seen the writing on the wall and given up, their partners and co all recommend Amazon these days.

I think they will stick to what they know and not get involved in the cloud infrastructure

1. MyffyW Silver badge

S/4 HANA SaaS product lacks many features of the S/4 HANA product you can run on your own VM, so I would concur - SAP don't want to own the bitbarn space. They already own you via the ERP software,

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Given the licensing costs for HANA why would SAP care where the shit runs as long as it's their shit?

Got to wonder about how long it takes to upload the data that makes this kind of thing viable.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Playing catch up with Azure that already offers 20TB on a single Azure node for SAP HANA:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/solutions/sap/#sap-solution-offerings

2. SimonHayterUK

But Google has a better network...

I've used virtual machine instances on Azure, AWS, Digital Ocean, Rackspace, UK2, GoDaddy, NameCheap and even IBM cloud, and it's IMHO and experience that Google offers unmatched network performance due to the fact the majority of traffic is served directly to consumer networks.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: But Google has a better network...

Interesting to hear. Google has for years focussed on latency and network performance. And you can also understand them waiting for the new hardware before rolling out this kind of service.

2. TheVogon

Re: But Google has a better network...

"Google offers unmatched network performance due to the fact the majority of traffic is served directly to consumer networks."

Well yes, because almost no one on business networks uses them.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So AWS have bought and SGI machine no doubt if Google need to they will as well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like