back to article Adobe forks out $4.75bn for Marketo in massive marketing mashup move

Adobe has forked out $4.75bn for cloudy software-as-a-service biz Marketo, in one of the largest marketing tech buys to date. The transaction, which was first mooted last week, was confirmed today and puts Adobe in a position to compete for enterprise customers in the marketing automation playing field. The near-$5bn price …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More of this cesspit then - Yay!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/08/adobe_hyper_personalisation_and_your_privacy/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More of this cesspit then - Yay!

>> to create the most advanced, unified view of the customer at both an individual and account level

Don't worry about the massively intrusive surveillance...

>> a goal of delivering end-to-end, exceptional experiences for our customers, where and when they want them.

...just keep believing in all the exceptional experiences you could receive!

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

I expect that the next hack into SaaS will be quite profitable.

2. all ears

Um, no, you and I aren't the customers of which they speak, we're the product.

2. arthoss

ahhh the foolish growth

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I'm not sure I see the business synergies between Adobe and Marketo....

However, I am sure that price made Marketo investors very happy.

1. joed

Re: I'm not sure I see the business synergies between Adobe and Marketo....

I can see the synergy - easier to deal/block one big scummy domain than whole bunch of obscure ones. I've yet to see Adobe fonts number of sites try to sneak.

4. elDog

I love these conglomerations of vultures - easier to blacklist them all

I had noticed in the uMatrix link blockers increasing coexistence of some of the Adobe and marketo requests. Apparently they will band together to spy on us much more effectively.

Also easier to blacklist them now.

1. Mark 110

Re: I love these conglomerations of vultures - easier to blacklist them all

Not much different to IBM buying all the tech back in the day and labeling it Tivoli something or other. Same shit. Different decade.

5. BGatez

No Adobe for you

As a creative I've gone to alternatives to Adobe software since they went to a subscription model. No desire to be unable to open my own work should their log in mess up (as has happened) or my subscription lapse. Really no desire to be an Adobe thrall for life.

6. ThatOne Silver badge
    Coat

Opportunity knocks

Any 7-letter company named "Ma...to" to sell?

They certainly won't stop at "Magento" and "Marketo", it's too much fun.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Five beelion USD

Is it really worth it? You decide

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet more domains to block !!!

In terms of marketo itself, well done getting $5Billion from Adobe which should be pocket change from all the subscriptions they are getting.

Personally, by pure chance, I recently blocked marketo and associated domains on my network.

If it stops some site from working, I will simply not use that site.

I do not need yet more crap tracking etc everytime I use a website and will continue to block as many as I can.

9. Snow Wombat
    FAIL

Well they certainly aren't...

spending money on their coding teams, to make a product that doesn't crash.

But then again Adobe has a monopoly that market, so why try?

Just keep borg'ing up any sort of competitor, or tangentially attached service.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like