back to article Who ate all the PII? Not the blockchain, thankfully

Dutch security firm Gemalto has said its blockchain product, slated to pilot later this year, will keep personal data off the blockchain. According to the Dutch outfit, the forgettably named Trust ID Network is aimed at users and digital service providers that need verifiable Self-Sovereign Digital IDs where "attestations" …

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Headmaster

Is it Dutch or french?

Dutch security firm Gemalto has said its blockchain product, slated to pilot later this year, will keep personal data off the blockchain. According to the French outfit...

I'm available for proof reading if needed ;-}

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it Dutch or french?

How about we split the difference and call it Belgian?

/me (Ducks and runs for cover)

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

These attestations: are they something like third party signatures on a PGP key? Only this time with blockchain, of course. Everything old is new again.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Except now, you'll be able to browse a 100 TB file 30 years from now and still see that a 3rd party had signed a message from some rando to some other rando.

3. onefang

There's another way of keeping PII off any blockchain, don't put it there in the first place. Simples.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Blockchain ? Oh yeah, that thing that keeps growing and growing and ...

A file that everyone has to have to be able to use the functionality, file which grows ever larger until you need a fiber conection and a multi-terabyte disk if you're a latecomer. No to mention transaction delays and, in the case of Bitcoin, insane transaction fees.

Frankly, I'd think a central database would be a much more simple affair. You have to be connected anyway, in order to upload your addition to the blockchain, so what's the difference ?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Blockchain ? Oh yeah, that thing that keeps growing and growing and ...

See, with the block chain now everyone can waste their disk space on undeletable data rather than just one entity that has the capability of pruning it over time.

The concept of verifying the veracity of the information recorded in a block chain is only possible if we know what generates that data in the first place and can trust it to write the correct data. The blockchain can really only provide proof that a certain piece of data had been written to it, not that the data itself is correct in any way.

5. WeiredButWork

No matter why, I just need keeping PII in my own side

1. Rajesh Kanungo

Unless you are in the US

Here your personal data belongs to everyone else but not to you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like