back to article GG n00b lol! Amazon frags support for its own games controllers

In a bold move, Amazon has ended support for its own games controllers on its own streaming box. A recent update to its Fire TV caused the official Fire TV Game Controller to stop working. Users initially though it was a bug that would be ironed out with a quick update but it turns out that the decision was intentional. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumably no consumer laws were broken

Actually, on second thoughts, I'd confident that to specifically and intentionally disable a capability that the device had when it was sold would comfortably breach consumer protection laws in all civilised countries.

I wonder if Amazon will be held to account?

No, I don't think so either; Amazon are presumably assuming that the las of the most consumer-hating of all US states can be unilaterally applied to all other US states, and indeed the rest of the world.

1. Mark 85

Re: Presumably no consumer laws were broken

I would think that some sort of action should be taken. They crippled and disabled much of it's capability and then continue to sell it? I feel sorry for anyone who bought one at this point but not so sorry for anyone buying one from here on out.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I think they think if it works with at least one other piece of hardware (Fire TV Stick) they've got a get-out clause, which would be very wrong in the EU.

It also doesn't say much for their development if maintaining support for the same controller on four different devices is so difficult.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Except if you bought the controller to use with your fire TV a week or a month before support was cut. Indeed, if you bought it at any time during your warranty period you should be granted the right, at the very least, to a full refund

1. mazenn

I would think that some sort of action should be taken. They crippled and disabled much of it's capability and then continue to sell it

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Have to disagree somewhat ... Not really fair on non-techie parents who get bugged to buy one by their little treasure(s). If Amazon continue selling what now amounts to a brick, they should clearly state it's a brick.

2. mazenn

I wonder if Amazon will be held to account?

No, I don't think so either; Amazon are presumably assuming that the las of the most consumer-hating of all US states can be unilaterally applied to all other US states, and indeed the rest of the world.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

They did it to me a few years back

I ended up getting a full refund on the 18 month old bluray player and a half price Fire TV.

However I had to kick up quite a fuss and mention the Sale of Goods Act a couple of times.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: They did it to me a few years back

BTW- the SoGA is updated/superseded by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which added a lot of rights regarding digital content and services - and does explicitly cover this type of loss of functionality.

(The CRA implements EU regulations, so is one of those pesky things that Brexiteers are so upset about...)

3. OffBeatMammal

sad

I'm not a big gamer (bejewelled is still my go-to!) but I do enjoy kicking back at the weekend and playing a bit of Asphalt8 on my FireTV with the gaming controller.... if it's stopped working with this latest update I'll be a bit disgruntled (it's not quite the same playing it with the FireTV remote!)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shouldn’t affect anyone here.

Real adults don’t play computer games. Fact.

1. m0rt

Re: Shouldn’t affect anyone here.

I'll just stick to Unreal Tournament then..

(Real adults don't hide behind anon.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

(Real adults don't hide behind anon.)

m0rt's on your birth certificate is it?

1. m0rt

Re: (Real adults don't hide behind anon.)

"m0rt's on your birth certificate is it?"

OF course not.

Despite the whole use of '*Real* adults' inferring that you have a very rigid definition of labels, and the fact that biological and legal adults *do* in fact play computer games, as indeed use false names on forums, as well as hide behind AC, means that those two comments, mine and yours, are bullshit.

2. Kane
          FAIL

Re: (Real adults don't hide behind anon.)

"m0rt's on your birth certificate is it?"

Anonymous Coward is on your birth certificate is it?

2. Kane
      Trollface

"Real adults don’t play computer games. Fact."

See, my first reaction was "RRAAAAARGGHHHH!!!" (I've been playing the 2016 version of Doom a lot recently, it seems to have been affecting my emotional state - damned Cacodemons...), as it's such a spurious statement to make, but then I noticed you posted as an Anonymous Coward, and then I thought "Ahhh, just another Troll".

But then I also noticed the very last word of your statement. "Fact."

You are Donald Trump, and I claim my £10 Game voucher! Here's the link, you can email it to me later!

3. Captain Scarlet
      Trollface

Ah so you stopped playing computer games after being t-bagged for the 50th time in a row

4. A. Coatsworth Silver badge

>> Real adults don’t play computer games. Fact.

Damn right! real adults are too broke to buy *computer* games... a Master Race rig is way too expensive! So they stick to one-gen-behind cheaper consoles.... at least is what I do.

For my part, I'll continue exploring the Mojave waste in New Vegas, thank you very much

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Billion dollar US tax-dodging megacorp fucks over it's customers

Colour me surprised.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Billion dollar US tax-dodging megacorp fucks over it's customers

it's = it is.

its = possessive...

Why the hell do most people who would probably claim to be not stupid not know this!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Because grammar is no longer taught. This is why we have cretins using "of" instead of "have" and words like "fucken" and "bigly".

The world is becoming dumber...

1. Geoffrey W

The world was always dumb, it's just staying dumb but in different ways.

PS Everyone is dumb in some way.

6. 0laf
    WTF?

So I spend £30 on an Amazon Controller to use on an Amazon TV box whilst always having Amazon subscription and they decide that after a year or so, naa we're going to brick your kit coz we can't be arsed.

There is a reason Car manufacturers have to provide support and parts for a minimum period of time. I think we need to look at this for tech manufacturers as well especially if the current crop of politicals are allegedly so interested in plastic waste.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop fucking whining...

and buy something else. #firstworldproblems #noactionjustmoaning #keyboardwarrior #barista

1. Kane
      Trollface

Re: Stop fucking whining...

"Stop fucking whining...and buy something else."

What if the product has already been purchased?

#ConsumerRights #SaleofGoodsAct #ICan'tBeBotheredToComeUpWithAnotherHashtag

8. RaspberryPi1

Looks like time to research this thing.

If anyone knows anything about how the protocols and such work on the 2nd gen controllers work please reply.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like