back to article Salesforce supremo Benioff buys Time magazine for $190m

Salesforce supremo Marc Benioff and his wife are buying the US magazine Time for $190m, according to reports. The deal has nothing to do with Salesforce, the company that billionaire Benioff founded where he still serves as chief exec. Time was owned by the Meredith corporation, which bought Time Inc – the publishing group …

1. Aladdin Sane

Evening Standard newspaper ... hired recently ousted Chancellor George Osborne

His headlines after the last general election were phenomenal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Evening Standard newspaper ... hired recently ousted Chancellor George Osborne

His headlines after the last general election were phenomenal.

A pity he wasn't so good as a chancellor and politician.

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

I'm reminded of the old gag:

Q. How do you make a small fortune through publishing?

A. Start with a large fortune.

1. Ragarath

I'm reminded of the old gag:

Q. How do you make a small fortune through publishing?

A. Start with a large fortune.

Does this not apply to every business now-a-days. You have to have money and heaps of it before you start or the interested parties are not interested.

3. Velv
    Coat

There's always going to be a market for Time magazine while we still have dentists waiting rooms

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's always going to be a market for Time magazine while we still have dentists waiting rooms

I like to sneak in my most recent copy of Viz as a gift, hiding it amongst the golfing and caravanning magazines. I'm sure things like this link go down well: Probably NSFW

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

I like to sneak in my most recent copy of Viz as a gift

Please can you visit my dentist? It's only Country Life and colouring books for the kids there.

2. Mayday
      Trollface

"There's always going to be a market for Time magazine while we still have dentists waiting rooms"

Only for editions from the previous decade?

1. teknopaul

good idea

The "Rare Groove" of publishing.

I'd get a reprint of 10 different. Wired editions that predicted AI is about to change the world.

And private eye 1 thru 100. See if anything has changed.

2. quxinot

>Only for editions from the previous decade?

I was going to say... the ones necessary to supply said locales have already been printed.

In the 90's.

4. Mark 85

Fire Sale?

Meredith Corp bought it for almost $3 BILLION and is now selling it for S190 MILLION. Sounds like a fire sale to me and they found a sucker to buy it.

1. asdf

Re: Fire Sale?

Or how about AOL buying it for 165 billion (more than Time magazine obviously but still).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Its gotta be hard to sell magazines when the delay from the stories being written, to printing the issues, to mailing them to subscribers is so much longer than putting the story directly onto the internet.

It almost sounds like he bought it to keep it around as an American icon. Even if he loses money operating it, he's got billions more where that came from so it won't matter to him.

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Print magazines are still enjoyable to read while on the bog or in the bath.

5. elDog

That's why Meredith Publishing is targeting the XX chromosome set

They don't tend to be as critical or care much about stuff like real world events.

My house has lots of informative mags on cooking and fitness and health and hearth/home - most by companies like Meredith.

Not wanting to say anything negative about the wonderful missus. We just have different tastes. Obvious since I actually read El Rag.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's why Meredith Publishing is targeting the XX chromosome set

>Not wanting to say anything negative about the wonderful missus.

Too late. Tarzan smart. Jane stoopid.

6. GrumpyKiwi

Ye olde Time magazine

Ah Time magazine. That thing people bought at an airport to read back in the days before we had phones and/or tablets instead.

I can't think of a single thing it's done over the past 20 years that's been even vaguely relevant.

7. paulf
    Coat

Salesforce supremo Benioff buys Time magazine for $190m

He was over charged - it was only £3.50 in my local Newsagents

(Sorry - obvious joke).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like