back to article Xero needs a hero as business accounting site takes morning off

Online accounting outfit Xero, whose website suggests "reliable data" as a reason for using its wares, took some time out today to the distress of its customers. First reports of the New Zealand-based company's global outage rolled in during early morning as users in Australia found themselves unable to connect to Xero's …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

“Beautiful accounting software”

Unfortunately hiding its beauty behind a cloud.

1. VinceH

Re: “Beautiful accounting software”

A line that effectively highlights form ("beautiful") before function ("accounting software").

I use it for a client, and I hate it.

2. Fatman

"Cloud"

I point to incidents like this one as reasons why you should not go to the cloud.

But penny pinching manglers never learn.

One mangler I once worked for bought that hype, hook line and sinker. So that company went off to the cloud against my advice. Cue one cloud failure, and people were sitting there unable to do their jobs, and said mangler starts screaming: "Do something!!!!!" I did. I handed him my letter of immediate resignation, packed up and walked out. A few days later he calls me up sheepishly wanting to know if I would 'come back'.

The answer was a terse: "FUCK YOU!!!" and I hung up. 'Fix it your own goddam self' was my attitude.

1. DesktopGuy

Re: "Cloud"

Just checked - I signed up for xero 15 September 2008 so just shy of 10 years been using the could software. In all that time, this has been the only downtime that has affected me.

I use in the software at least daily and it's been incredible.

In supporting clients using purchased software MYOB, I have seen many of them have their data file corrupted with only recourse to send off to MYOB interstate to get the file fixed (for an big fee).

If anything, this show the resilience of well designed cloud software.

I'm certainly glad it didn't happen on the day I have to post BAS (as I usually do it on the day it's due).

2. Noodle

Re: "Cloud"

If "things might go wrong" is your reason for not using cloud based systems then you can't have been working in the same IT industry as me. Most on-premise software dreams of the kind of uptime most cloud software enjoys. Many companies I've worked at had systems that went down on a weekly basis, or worse.

3. CentralCoasty
    Pint

I have to give them credit for responding the way they did on tw*tter.... cant imagine getting ANY response from most of the other organisations....

And I must admit that I use them as well & have never had a problem before. They also have a long way to go before their outages even get close to the "wonderful" experience I have with my NBN connection...... although the outage did start just as I copied and pasted a large number into the foreign exchange rate field for a purchase....

4. ecofeco Silver badge
    FAIL

How's that cloud thing working for ya?

I NEVER get tired of posting this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon