back to article C++ devs take a Step Back, let the UWP guy play with Visual Studio

Microsoft has served up a second preview of the next version of its Visual Studio 2017 product with new toys for UWP and C++ devs. Version 15.9 of Visual Studio inched a little closer to release last night as Microsoft released Preview 2 to developers brave enough to take the early code out for a spin. The release also hinted …

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Meh

finally they acknowledge the C++ devs

I might give them a nice slow-clap for that.

In the mean time, all of that "special attention" to UWP, when practically NOBODY actually doing that, can only be driven by some kind of internal agenda to cram UWP "development' into our body orifices.

Isn't that "special" !

However, being able to 'go back a line' sounds like a cool feature. Too bad I'll be sticking with the last DevStudio I'll ever need (2010) because everything SINCE then has the 2D FLATSO, UWP, Metro, and so on look, even on 7. And I might have to re-learn how to NOT have ".Not" be a dependency of your project. There were several steps to ensure that in 2010, and MFC is becoming more and more bloated as time moves forward, and static linking (to me) is MANDATORY for all too many reasons.

I'd just like it if the 'class wizard' and dialog editor interfaces went *BACK* to the way it was in 1998... if you are a typist, and don't like lifting your hand off of home row to mousie-clickie-mousie-clickie, you'll know what I mean. I __**REALLY**__ __**DESPISE**__ the VB-ish 'property' things. "Cumbersome" is an understatement.

(and don't even get me STARTED on ANYTHING that tries to type things in for me... at least I can shut that OFF)

/me observes there's really only ONE feature I REALLY like about DevStudio. It's been around since "Programmer's Workbench". 'Virtual Space'. ALL editors need that!!!

1. The Axe

Re: finally they acknowledge the C++ devs

Yep, VS 2017 is a pile of s.... But then every version of VS I've tried is a pile of s.... I've been brought up on UltraEdit and Eclipse and GDB and Linux and command line builds. VS and Window's header files just clog up everything - haven't they heard of namespaces and keeping things compartmentalised.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Re: finally they acknowledge the C++ devs

VS and Window's header files just clog up everything - haven't they heard of namespaces and keeping things compartmentalised.

You mean how Linux does? Or maybe you're talking about iOS or macOS? Yeah, I sure do miss all those namespaces when I'm working with the Windows API.

2. karlkarl Silver badge

Yes 2010 all the way.

Some additional info that you guys might find useful.

1) 2010 does not require additional runtimes (i.e the 2017 C/C++ re-distributable) to be installed. This simplifies the deployment

2) 2010 with the Intel C/C++ compiler installed gives a slightly newer standard (C++11) which can keep the 2010 IDE going for another decade ;)

3) 2010 Express edition actually requires activation which the server no longer allows! Hidden DRM or what! Don't fall for that in future with express or community editions.

4) Worst case scenario, to keep with the 2010 IDE, just install clang which has great integration (and newer standards support).

Stay safe out there! ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

1) 2010 does not require additional runtimes (i.e the 2017 C/C++ re-distributable) to be installed.

All versions of Visual Studio (and Developer Studio before it) support static linking of the runtime libraries. 2010 isn't special in that regard. It might not be available in the free editions, but it's always been there in paid versions.

2) 2010 with the Intel C/C++ compiler installed gives a slightly newer standard (C++11) which can keep the 2010 IDE going for another decade ;)

The Intel Compiler is a very good optimiser, but it's not exactly up-to-date these days. And it doesn't really help you if you're targeting Windows on non-x86 platforms.

4) Worst case scenario, to keep with the 2010 IDE, just install clang which has great integration (and newer standards support).

Actually, the worst case scenario would be having to use Xcode (which goes out of its way to make things harder and more time consuming) or Android Studio (which takes a fucking lifetime to build anything and rolls a dice at midnight to decide whether it will let you debug your application for the next 24 hours).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

This is one of the reasons I no longer use Visual Studio (and finally moved away from Windows development).

They only work on features that benefit themselves, and not what we all ask for.

If it where a free product, then fair enough... but it's far from being free.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have several community editions. They are free. And full featured. Next silly comment...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

Next silly comment.

That doesn't counteract my complaints that VS only provide the features they benefit from. It only suggests I have less "right" to complain. However,

1. I required the debugging and testing features not provided by the free version.

2. I wasn't eligible for the free version.

Therefore, I had to pay - meaning I am, so it seems, entitled to complain.

I'm pleased that the free version is enough for you. However, after 2 decades, I've now moved on from this shit.

Jetbrains now have my (and my company's) custom. (For .NET, I use Rider. It's Resharper but without the VS shit)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The feedback I've seen on UWP

appears to suggest it's all about bondage - any apps developed to use it can only be sold through Microsoft's Shop.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: The feedback I've seen on UWP

Same here.

UWP: Ugly Windows Phone apps.

Microsoft would love to control everything on "their" OS, while taking a cut for their trouble.

Not for me, thank you.

yes yes, iOS and Android do the same, but wishing to compare Windows with consumer platforms for handheld devices kinda makes my point.

5. _LC_
    Go

Try Qt-Creator instead

For non-commercial usage, there is the free Qt-Creator, which runs on (almost) all platforms. You can use it without Qt. The CLANG model has become far superior to VS. There's no need to bother with that (alien) dinosaur anymore.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like