back to article The eyes don't have it! AI's 'deep-fake' vids surge ahead in realism

Using AI to make fake videos look as realistic as possible is all the rage at the moment. Developers aren't deterred by the controversy surrounding deepfakes – videos in which people's faces are digitally pasted onto the bodies of smut stars and other performers using machine-learning software. OK, sure, adding Nicholas Cage’ …

1. veti Silver badge

Saw this coming

We really, urgently, need some way of authenticating "real", un-doctored video. Digital signatures embedded at the moment the image/footage is taken. Why is that not standard on every camera by now?

Get on it, camera makers. It may be too late already, but that's no reason not to do it anyway.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: Saw this coming

And somebody will invent fake digital signatures...

It's the old race between the sword and the shield, and there is no final solution to that. Common sense and healthy skepticism is the only answer, a pity both are so rare.

1. Teiwaz

It's the old race between the sword and the shield, and there is no final solution to that. Common sense and healthy skepticism is the only answer, a pity both are so rare.

Of course, but lazy, childish minds prefer absolutes.

It's kind of like the regular calls for a 'solution' to the encrypted communications 'problem'.

2. DropBear

So... what's the concept, exactly? Every camera everywhere publishing its public key via blockchain immediately as soon as it gets turned on for the first time or what...? Because if you need possession of the original piece of kit that physically took the footage each time you want to authenticate a video, it's not going to work. Also, how does it handle (legitimate, "on the record") ulterior editing operations, considering most footage would probably undergo multiple edits before it gets important enough to warrant getting authenticated...?

1. el kabong

An unhackable camera connected to a blockchain will do the trick.

Voilá!

1. el kabong

Your next iPhone, maybe

If Steve Jobs were still alive I bet he would come up with something.

2. Sonic531

Re: An unhackable camera connected to a blockchain will do the trick.

Hopefully Mr McAfee will make an unhackable camera

2. veti Silver badge

The idea is not that anyone could infallibility spot a fake, that's too much to ask. But it should be possible to demonstrate that the picture or footage I took has not been doctored.

Sure, it may be edited for legit reasons - but then, if challenged, I'd still be able to provide the original for comparison.

3. Joe Harrison

Been done, "Nikon Image Authentication System". Was cracked in short order in 2011, not sure what state it's in now.

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/software/img_auth/index.htm.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can we have....

...video software that removes the orange fool and replaces him with a kitten?

1. seven of five

Re: Can we have....

> Can we have video software that removes the orange fool

...from the planet...

> and replaces him with a kitten?

FTFY. No need to thank me.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

David Dickinson is great, leave him out of this.

3. tiggity Silver badge

The current(ish) trend is to replace him with a penguin

1. sprograms

The current trend is to replace Orange Man with the selection of Google's choice. You don't need to vote.

4. The Mysterious Monty
      Thumb Up

Unfortunately its not video but i use an extension on Chrome that replaces Trump pictures on websites with kittens! (Will replace other annoyances too eg Farage)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/make-america-kittens-agai/klchnmggepghlcolikgaekpibclpmgcm?hl=en-US

Didn't write it myself but thankful to the chap/chappette that did!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ye gods

As myopic as I am, it's blatantly clear that the video is "doctored".

For ANYONE to fall for this suggests they need a trip to specsavers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ye gods

But as we all know systems improve, and on a low quality feed you might even get away with it as it is now. (Ignoring those who will always be fooled)

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: ye gods

You might, but then again, people in general are stupid. If they want to believe, they'll never question the authenticity as long as it appears legit.

Want to cause a ruckus? Superimpose Trumps head onto someone confessing to some dirty shenanigans and watch the world burn. Most people won't bother checking the authenticity as long as it looks about right.

4. Chozo
    Coat

Merging Faeces , oh the posabilities...

Nelson Mandela giving Hitlers speech at the 1938 Nuremberg rally

Bin Laden sings the Blues

Vintage Dr Who remastered without Bonny Langford

1. monty75

Re: Merging Faeces , oh the posabilities...

Vintage Dr Who remastered without Bonny Langford

Shut up and take my money!

I'll pay double if you can replace her with Jenna Coleman. Triple if you can replace everyone with Jenna Coleman

5. fajensen
    Terminator

Better fake news, just what we need!

The world simply craves better fake footage of fake gas attacks on civilians.

- and perfectly believable-, trustworthy- and totally honest-looking politicians talking in front of Yuuge Crowds that totally exists!

- Everyone with some ressources will soon run their publicly released video footage through monopolised video servers that removes the "tells" from their lying faces.

- A while later, I'd guess 2030 thereabouts, presidents, pop-stars politicians and those leading media-personalities known for nothing in particular will not even exists outside of The Cloud.

- Why should they? They are all there to divert attention away from power, not to exercise it!

Time to pull the plug!

1. DropBear

Re: Better fake news, just what we need!

In a world of increasingly ubiquitous video surveillance, this is important, if nothing else, for the same reason OTR publishes encryption keys after the fact: to provide the tools that enable anyone to credibly forge a potential piece of evidence, thereby discrediting its authenticity.

2. Tenkaykev
      Black Helicopters

It is almost certainly a coincidence that this technology has become widely reported about the same time that rumours of compromising videos of a major politician and Russian prostitutes were being discussed.

1. tiggity Silver badge

@ Tenkaykev

Total coincidence, thinking otherwise is just taking the p**s

6. oiseau
    FAIL

Comedians?

The researchers use the comedians Stephen Colbert and John Oliver ...

Comedians?

Co-me-di-ans?

Really now.

7. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Using Deepfakes to inform the proper rendering of lips would be a good idea.

Youtube: Princess Leia in Star Wars> Hollywood Animation House vs Deepfakes

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is this not being turned into something useful

Like automatically removing adverts from a video stream.

Or replacing the overused 'like' used as a verbal pause for thought with silence.

Or getting rid of utter shite such as TV mystics, paranormal guff, alien bullshit and 'yuk look at that body' shite on TV.

9. imanidiot Silver badge

Closer resemblence = better output?

I wonder if the output becomes more believable if the original source video subject is closer to the target face already. What if you hire some lookalike actor to act out the fake you want to make, would it look more convincing?

10. Sir Loin Of Beef
    FAIL

Another solution looking for a problem.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like