back to article Is someone chopping onions? Oracle cloud boss bids colleagues emotional farewell

Oracle's cloud guru Thomas Kurian has reportedly taken extended leave from the firm. Kurian, who has been with Big Red since 1996 and leads a team of 35,000 engineers across 35 countries, told colleagues the news in an email. "By now many of you may have heard that I have decided to take extended time off from Oracle," he …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some people - especially those who are minted and very senior - like to, or need to, take sabbaticals and time off.

It's also possible that he's fighting a very private health battle with an uncertain prognosis.

1. LucreLout

It's also possible that he's fighting a very private health battle with an uncertain prognosis.

That's how I read it, so all I can add is that I wish him the best of luck with it. Never worked at Oracle, never will, but it's unlikely he's taking time out for the flu.

2. Fatman
      Thumb Up

RE: Oracle exec "taking time off"

<quote>It's also possible that he's fighting a very private health battle with an uncertain foreboding prognosis.</quote>

He might be facing a situation where he has been told that you have X amount of time left; and he plans to step aside to enable his team to continue forward, and he can make the best of the time left.

In any regard, I hope I am wrong on that one.

2. DCFusor

It could just as easily be

Leisure suit Larry left a message, like a revolver loaded with one bullet, on his desk.

He runs a department that Oracle really wants to push, yet has to hide the results of because they are so bad. Oracle is not known for being nice to failures. Or anyone else for that matter.

3. WYSIWYG650

Kurian

If Thomas is anything like his brother George, and I hear he is, he is an amazing person. I dont know what the Kurian mom did but she raised some amazing children. I hope nothing but the best for Thomas and his family.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Exec guy leaves company known for vicious politics at exec level

What's with the terminal diagnosis? Surely the only thing likely to be in terminal demise is Oracle's cloud strategy

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like