back to article Google's 'other' phone platform turns up in post-apocalyptic mobe

Hikers, bikers and builders have contributed to an unlikely British success story. Founded in 2009, Bullitt – which has just released the Cat B35 – licensed the CAT brand from Caterpillar and set about building extremely useful and clever phones for the "rugged" niche. With the global smartphone brands lapsing – Samsung …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I once trialled a ruggedized laptop

The manufacturers claim to fame was it still worked after a trip to Manchester.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: I once trialled a ruggedized laptop

So, tougher than a Mobike then? ;-)

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: I once trialled a ruggedized laptop

Surviving a trip to Liverpool would be more impressive, but recovering stolen property over there is difficult, to say the least.

2. Barry Rueger

€109?

I'm in. I've been phone shopping, but refuse to drop $1000 on something that might only last a year. Semi-landfill Androids are tempting, but this may be better - especially at that price.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: €109?

@Barry Rueger

According to GizModo: "and can function as a WiFi hotspot."

Now I'm interested,.... rugged phone, plus tethered tablet. Only downside I see is that tablet cameras are a bit lacking and I use my phone camera quite a bit, ... although Bluetooth compact cameras are an option, if I don't mind carrying three things,... but I would be carrying three things better suited to each task,.... something to mull over, anyway.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

There are also WiFi compact cameras, and even the Mi Fi SD card that retrofits WiFi to other cameras.

You might also consider the Sony QX 100 lens and sensor - though its held its price since being released a few years back. There are Lightening connected cameras for iPhones, and GreyBus cameras for Moto phones.

Other than their zoom lenses, cheaper compact cameras aren't as good (or as easily weatherproofed and ruggedised) as high end phone cameras, so it'd take an RX 100, LX100, G1X or similar camera to see enough difference in image quality to be worth the extra bulk and faff.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Just checked out that MiFi SD card,.... very reasonably priced,... I think that's definitely happening to my Bridge Camera, ta for the prompt!

Meanwhile, the lovely people at John Lewis actually have a selector for 'WiFi' when searching for cameras, and they have a few decent looking models,... so all I have to do now is wade through the reviews.

3. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Just code a whatsapp and telegram client for kaiOS. That's all I need.

1. EnviableOne

Whatsapp and Telegram

Signal Please ...

FB Whatsslurp and FSBegram are so passe

4. onefang
    WTF?

Hmmm, it's 06:26 in both photos, is that one of those stopped clocks that's right twice a day?

1. Steve Foster
      Happy

@onefang

Well, it makes a change from 10:08... :)

2. caffeine addict

It must be. I mean, it's impossible to put a phone down in under 59 seconds...

3. This post has been deleted by its author

5. 's water music

Phone reviews

Removable battery? Expandable storage? Headphone jack? Sheesh. I thought that we had finally established the rules for phone reviews round here

1. onefang

Re: Phone reviews

For what it is worth, one of the photos in the article shows a flap with a headphone symbol on it, I'm guessing that's a headphone jack. It's next to a flap with the USB symbol on it, might be able to cope with USB sticks at least.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Phone reviews

Storage is expandable with a micro SD card according the specs.

6. Choux

I don't give a hoot about Google's added bloat, but 4G enabled hotspot devices that also make phone calls and don't come bundled with facebook as an unremovable tumor on the memory are the kind of thing that make me slightly less cynical about the state of phones.

I held off on getting an 8110 4G after it's lukewarm reception (I can deal with reviews that slammed it for not being a smartphone replacement, but the ease with which the screen can be marred, and the softness of the buttons, coupled with very 'meh' reports of its usability) but this might be worth getting.

I remain confident that a hotspot device plus other, scenario specific, wifi enabled dodads is the way to go (venerable phone for gps+music in-car, hotspot to update maps, etc., traffic updates, small laptop plus wifi hotspot for working on the go, and for everything else I'm at my desk...), and this might say it for me.

Possibly. KaiOS needs whatsapp before I can be pried away from my clunking android device though, as sadly it's my family and social circle's primary communication service.

7. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

I was pondering this. And realize I don't use my smartphone to its full potential.

Excel? Work on a laptop.

Word? Laptop.

Email? Mostly on laptop, but there are one or two (Schlock Mercenary etc) that I can peruse on the go, as well as reply to some emails when neccessary.

Games? Meh, not really into games. I do play flow free and word puzzle games.

Boos? Yes, reading a lot.

1. Jeffrey Nonken

I'm trying to work out what a science fiction webcomic has to do with e-mail?*

Unless you're secretly Howard Tayler, in which case I claim my five quid. Or something. ... Though as far as I know, Howard lives in the States, not SA.

Seriously, though, I don't think anybody uses their smartphone to its full potential. A wrench, yeah, it pretty much has one job, pretty easy to meet that potential. But a smartphone? "Swiss Army Knife" doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what it's capable of, even if you only include the apps currently available, not the potential of apps yet to be written, or that could be but never will be.

Does it do what you need? Good enough. Is it excessive? Next time consider a dumber phone. But don't try to make yourself stretch to fit what the phone can do. A tool is supposed to be there to help YOU, not the other way 'round.

*I'm not actually trying to twit you on this, but naming one of my favorite webcomics caught my attention. :) Like SF webcomics? Have you seen Quantum Vibe? For a more Steampunky feel, try Girl Genius.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like