back to article Using Python in Visual Studio Code? Microsoft has new toys for you

Microsoft has updated the Python Extension for Visual Studio Code, giving devs some new debugging toys and a beefed-up language server. Visual Studio Code is a free and open-source code editor, based on Electron, and much beloved by developers (at least according to Stack Overflow). Python is one of the many languages …

1. RyokuMas
    Trollface

"Still in preview, the tech will likely be sneered at by "proper" programmersthe usual "because it's Microsoft" suspects..."

TFTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No.

I dislike Microsoft as much as the next geek, but that hasn't stopped me from installing vs code on Linux - where the GUI text editors tend to be lacking.

1. Stevie

installing vs code on Linux

Miserable sinner!

You stand accused of heresy on two counts: Heresy by thought, heresy by action and heresy by speech ...

Three counts!

You have only one chance: Renounce the heretical thoughts, recant the heretical speech ... two chances!

Etc etc.

1. Trollslayer

Re: installing vs code on Linux

I wasn't expecting that

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Not sure why you've singled out Linux IDEs as lacking, there are a number of cross platform IDEs which have a Linux build.

1. npaladin2000

Most people interact with Linux via an SSH session. Options for ncurses IDEs are actually lacking, outside of modified VIM and EMACS setups. And will never have the power of a multi-tab text editor for a windowing GUI. Linux does have VSCode and Atom available, but Windows has those plus Eclipse and a few others (and even gVIM becomes viable versus regular VIM).

Now, ChromeOS is the one truly lacking.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

ssh with remote X session...

Did you just say Linux doesn't have Eclipse?

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I know quite a few people who like VS Code and run it on other platforms. But the T&Cs do make it a bit of a no-no for many.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Progress...

....there's nothing wrong with an IDE giving a programmer help (as long as it's configurable) does anyone really miss edt on a green screen terminal ?

1. npaladin2000

does anyone really miss edt on a green screen terminal ?

VIM users maybe?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've noticed that VS Code is great for beginners... supports highlighting for most languages, with some auto-complete, and no advanced functions to mess up with.

1. Geoffrey W

Damning with faint praise, you real programmer, you.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LogPoints

LogPoints we had those twenty years ago. They were called print statements.

Kids these days.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PyCharm

At the last place I worked before retiring they wanted us all to use Eclipse which was OK, but I found it a bit clunky. However, since I retired, I have been using PyCharm Community Edition on my own Python projects and much prefer it over Eclipse.

I've not used Visual Studio since doing a C++ course many years ago, so I'll have to give it another look and see how the latest version compares.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: PyCharm

JetBrains has done a great job with PyCharm, something that can't be said of PyDev for Eclipse. But I can't get used to the Javaness of PyCharm so I'm sticking with WingIDE, which I love. But each to their own.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I had forgotten about WingIDE! I used to run it at home several years ago, even paid for the Pro version. I notice there is a Ubuntu/Debian package for WingIDE Personal, so I will see how it goes on my Mint PC. Thanks for the reminder.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I had forgotten about WingIDE!

It got a big lift when it switched from TK to QT as the GUI framework. I think the fact that it's written in Python shows in the attention to detail.

With PyCharm I found I had to spend a lot of time disabling all the helfpul features but I know a lot of people who love it and, having met some of the developers, how much effort they've put into it.

2. Martin J Hooper

There is a free Community edition now so you get the full on VS experience for free...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like