back to article Apple pushes new iOS 12 beta build to silence notification spam

Apple on Friday issued its 12th developer beta version of iOS 12, which should see general release in September, just days after the previous version began spamming beta testers and developers with errant update notifications. Greater control over intrusive notifications is one of the relatively few marquee features in iOS 12 …

1. Camilla Smythe

Just enable Third Party Cookies.

Not that hard is it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just enable Third Party Cookies.

It is if you chose Apple for its better approach to privacy..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Just enable Third Party Cookies.

"It is if you chose Apple for its better approach to privacy.."

Then you are an idiot. Their approach is no different to Google or anyone else, they just hide it better...

2. Velv
    Gimp

Apple don’t seem to be able to fix the broken WiFi on the 6s, something fairly fundamental, what makes anyone think they can fix a things such as dodgy notifications...

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Didn't know there was a WiFi problem on 6S, never noticed.

There is also loads of control over notifications in the settings so I don't know what this article is about.

2. D@v3

Wi-Fi on 6s...?

I have had mine since a little after launch, didn't realise it was broken. What's wrong with it?

3. DJV Silver badge

The Register asked Apple for comment. <Crickets>

and tumbleweed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SK0QyHcCIw

1. pɹɐʍoɔ snoɯʎuouɐ

Re: The Register asked Apple for comment. <Crickets>

" The Register asked Apple for comment. <Crickets>

and tumbleweed... "

One of the best bits of any apple story on el reg is the last line of asking apple for comment... its like the old journalist stalwart, "made my excuses and left" when reporting on anything lest than of good taste for polite company....

4. joed

Now if only turning off BlueTooth meant really turning it off. Sticking to 10.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

It’s Bluetooth not BlueTooth, and you can turn it off. Settings>Bluetooth.

1. paulf
        Meh

Not entirely sure what the OP was referring to, but the comment about [iOS] 10 makes me suspect it's a reference to the frustrating bug/problem feature where turning Wifi or Bluetooth off from the Control Centre only turns it off temporarily until the next day. To turn it off properly requires a visit to Settings. Before iOS 11, Off meant off even in the Control Centre. Apple claimed this change was to improve the customer experience - ho hum.

1. Monty Cantsin

So if you want Bluetooth/WiFi off permanently, you do it one way (in Settings, where more permanent things happen). If you want them off temporarily, you do it the other way (in Control Center, where more changeable things happen). I don't really see the problem with having the choice, and it explains exactly what's happening right there beside the setting. .

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

@paulf

"...makes me suspect it's a reference to the frustrating bug/problem feature where turning Wifi or Bluetooth off from the Control Centre only turns it off temporarily..."

Yep got that; just wanted to point out that saying it 'can't' be switched off is erroneous.

I fall into the "Stupid, stupid decision" camp on this; although having said that I did have a conversation with Apple support the other day where they told me it was incredible the number of support calls they used to get from people who'd turned off Bluetooth and thought their Apple Pencil was broken, or had turned off Wifi and couldn't work out why AirDrop or AirPrint wasn't working. So making it 'Off' as opposed to OFF might have been a motivator here - to reduce support calls from muppets.

1. paulf

@ Lord Elpuss, "So making it 'Off' as opposed to OFF might have been a motivator here - to reduce support calls from muppets."

I can understand that. I did see one suggestion that they could have used force touch here - tap for "Off", press hard tap for "OFF" but I did see something the other day suggesting Apple will not include force touch in coming handsets so perhaps they knew back then that method was a dead end...

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

@paulf

Force touch would have been a great solution. I read that too about Force Touch not being included, but can't understand the reasoning; to me it's a well designed, useful feature. Hope it's nothing more than a rumour...

5. Jo_seph_B

We need a fix now!!!

Says the man running BETA software......

6. Monty Cantsin
    Angel

So the "A new iOS update is now available. Please update from the iOS 12 beta." bug was fixed with an iOS update. Which means the updated was (eventually) available. Which means it wasn't a bug!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like