back to article It's official: Chocolate Factory anoints Tink crypto as Google project

Last year, a group of Google engineers emitted an “unofficial project,” a cryptographic library called Tink. Now, the Chocolate Factory has decided the software's good enough to carry its name. One of Tink's developers, infosec engineer Thai Duong, made the library “official” in this blog post announcing version 1.2.0. Duong …

1. onefang

I'll have to have a bit of a Tinker with it.

2. Chris Hills

Great, but...

Why not simply submit pull requests fixing some of the issues in BoringSSL, another case of NIH?

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: Great, but...

BoringSSL is also Google, so it's definitely not NIH.

As their page says,

We don't recommend that third parties depend upon [BoringSSL]. Doing so is likely to be frustrating because there are no guarantees of API or ABI stability.

I'm guessing Tink attempts to provide a saner, stabler, API/ABI.

1. Chris Hills

In a company as large as Google, NIH can equeally apply to other teams as well as other companies.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I think BoringSSL inherits some design problems from OpenSSL and can't necessarily be changed as desired.

3. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Why not simply submit pull requests fixing some of the issues in BoringSSL

From the Github README for the C++ version:

Tink depends on Abseil, Protocol Buffers, and BoringSSL

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tink?

So, does the name mean There Is No Krypto, or There Is No Kabal, or, with the references to nonces as well, are they just trying to troll and ensnare tech-illiterate SJWs who come from a travelling folk background?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like