back to article Apple sees the (augmented) light, buys holo-glass tech startup

Apple has reportedly snaffled holographic glassware biz Akonia Holographics for an undisclosed fee, presumably to use its tech in augmented reality gadgets. Akonia is a six-year-old company with roots that extend back to InPhase and its holographic optical disks. It moved on from holographic storage to displays, and has …

1. onefang

So Apple is now able to do what Magic Leap was claiming to be able to do? Combine it with Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field, and we now have Apple Reality?

1. DJV Silver badge

@onefang

Damn right, I was reading the article and thinking along similar lines. You definitely put it more succinctly!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: @onefang

Not really. Magic Leap have been hyping up their technology to gain funding, whereas in this scenario Apple are playing the part of the investor, and one that has the resources to perform due diligence at that.

I had a quick look at www.kguttag.com to see if he'd looked at Akonia, but a search returned no results. Karl Guttag has been a critic of Magic Leap's claims for some years now, and as an expert on HUDs is the guy iFixit consulted on their recent Magic Leap developer headset. His site is worth a browser as he explains the different techniques that could be used to superimpose an image over one's view, and has given hands-on reviews of various AR display companies exhibiting at CES.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Waveguides are the technique Magic Leap (and others) have used in their developer unit, after making a lot of noise a couple of years back about using Fibre Scanning Display. As Karl notes, to achieve a good resolution by spinning a length of optical fibre in a spiral to cover the field of view (akin to how a cathode ray scans back and forth to cover an area) would have said fibre exceeding the sound barrier, if you want a decent refresh rate.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

As Karl notes, to achieve a good resolution by spinning a length of optical fibre in a spiral to cover the field of view (akin to how a cathode ray scans back and forth to cover an area) would have said fibre exceeding the sound barrier, if you want a decent refresh rate.

Quite apart from the velocity/refresh question - is it just me, or does that sound terrifyingly close to "here, put this weed-whacker / garden strimmer 2 inches from your eyeballs"?

3. Daniel von Asmuth
    Gimp

Alll I want for X-mas this year...

is the new Holodeck from Apple

4. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

"transparent smart glass lenses to display full-colour images with a wide field of view."

OK, so now I'm listening,.... I'll take mine is some wraparound sports glasses with dimmable lenses please.

1. wayward4now
      Linux

Oh Lawd Johnson

Please don't make me have to buy an Apple product. I loathe the very ground that they occupy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The display technology is only part of the equation

Its the power. Not in terms of battery - though that obviously matters for weight - but in terms of heat. A phone may only dissipate a few watts but do it long enough and it'll get warm to the touch - maybe even hot for some phones. I suppose that might be nice during winter if you're outdoors, but the rest of the time you aren't going to want something trying to dissipate several watts of excess heat into your skull.

6. Eponymous Bastard
    Coat

Paul O'Grady in disguise?

Has Tim Cook morphed into Paul O'Grady, or vice-versa.

It's Latin.

I'll get my Aquascutum.

7. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Akonia's holographic storage is more interestng. If the dyes don't break down as fast as DVD-R, that's epic archiving media.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like