back to article Cobbler feels the shoe-leather: An IP address is still not a human

The defendant in the “Adam Sandler downloader” case has had another win, in a long-running a case over whether or not he downloaded the movie “The Cobbler”. The original case against Thomas Gonzales of Oregon was thin from the get-go: Cobbler Nevada, as copyright owner, got Comcast to identify Gonzales as the lessee of the IP …

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Judges and Courts sometimes figure things out quite well...

Kudos.

2. JLV

what’s with Adam Sandler?

Granted, not the greatest thespian. Not a great challenger to Steve McQueen, Tom Hardy, Peter OToole et al. Never starred in a Kubrick, probably won’t be in the next Fincher, Villeneuve or even Tarantino.

But if it was him or a Tranformer movie, I’d know my pick. Ditto the latest installments of a certain Disney franchise. Click and Spanglish were even halfway clever but most of his movies, even if quite lowbrow are fine as formulaic un-intellectual comedies.

Seems kinda snooty to always pick on him. There’s plenty worse stupidity on the screen nowadays, including many that take themselves way more seriously.

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: what’s with Adam Sandler?

But if it was him or a Tranformer movie, I’d know my pick.

It could be worse. Last summer I went to a drive-in movie theater, and they'd changed the bill at the last minute. I ended up accidentally having to sit through the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers. All I can say is that I was very glad I had lots of alcohol to hand. Compared to that, an Adam Sandler movie is f*cking Citizen Kane.

1. Warm Braw

a drive-in movie theater

Can't you drive out?

1. David 132 Silver badge
          Happy

Can't you drive out?

Cute, but no. Not when there's cars & trucks parked bumper-to-bumper all around. The analogy would be standing mid-movie in a regular theater, and loudly yelling "I HAVE TO LEAVE RIGHT NOW". Not tactful :)

2. Mark 85

Probably the only way to make any money on a Adam Sandler flick is to sue someone for pirating it.

3. big_D Silver badge
      Holmes

But if it was him or a Tranformer movie, I’d know my pick.

Given that choice, I'd take a long walk in the rain over muddy ground with the dog and cleaning up the place after we got home.

4. Trollslayer

Try The Longest Yard without prejudging it.

Yes, a remake but a very good one.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Bedtime Stories" and "Fifty First Dates" are actually quite good.

Haven't seen "The Cobbler".

1. Flywheel

Haven't seen "The Cobbler"

It may well be cobblers for all I know

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Whether the subject is entertainment or politics, popularity rarely equates to value.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'Seems kinda snooty to always pick on him. There’s plenty worse stupidity on the screen nowadays, including many that take themselves way more seriously.'

Tell that to the person (who ever that is). I don't think it's the Reg that orchestrated the legal farce.

3. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Please don't insult Adam Sandler fans

They're human, if deeply delusional. Adam Sandler himself, on the other hand, is almost certainly totally CGI, animated by a primitive form of AI (probably the one which writes the Transformers scripts).

4. Elmer Phud

IP means me?

I got an email from a firm apparently given access to my records by BT.

Something about Fast and Furious four being downloaded from my IP address.

After being informed by the rest of the house that:

a, they'd got it already

b, they'd got subscriptions to site so why download

c, 'fuck off, that one's shit

I ignored the email and still haven't had the joy of informing someone that I share my IP address with anyone else with a BT login who could even be my neighbour.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: IP means me?

"I ignored the email and still haven't had the joy of informing someone that I share my IP address with anyone else with a BT login who could even be my neighbour."

I thought these cloudy WiFi sharing things were supposed to offer up a different IP address to external users so that you are not responsible for policing what unknown users do on your connection.

5. TheProf

Pixels

I enjoyed Pixels enough to buy the company disc! It must be because it's heavy on the CGI and computer games imagery.

Sandler is a poor leading man but so is, in my opinion, Tom Cruise and he seems to make a lot of films.

6. caffeine addict

Does this mean that anyone running a teeny tiny tor exit node is safe from accusations based on IP address?

If this were to be followed in the UK, would it also cover people who have a BT and allow a bit of their connection to be used by the BT cloud thing that is cluttering the 2G wifi round my way?

7. SkippyBing

IPv4

Surely this is just another advantage of IPv4?

I mean for the Adam Sandler 'fan' not the studio.

1. Flywheel

Re: IPv4

Surely this is just another advantage of IPv4?

You wait until IPV6 really goes mainstream - they'll be able to tell which device you were using (your phone) and your location (the bathroom/loo) because your IoT toilet will confirm the details and snitch on you !

1. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Flywheel, you've just given me an idea. Hack IoT toilets to create a botnet that downloads Adam Sandler movies over and over consuming all available bandwidth, bytes stored to /dev/null. This would a) save any poor sod from accidently downloading 90 minutes of Sandler arse gravy and b) what better receptacle for the job?

2. DCFusor

I think the lack of need for NATting is one of the things preventing IPV6 wider adoption, myself. Maybe not the main thing, but it's there.

I'm super grateful that it's kinda hard to see my LAN through it, and really, little to nothing here needs to be directly accessible by the net at large. Responses to HTTP(s) requests - via NAT - are more than plenty.

8. Lt.Kije

The issue here is

Not this chap nor this movie.

Once they have a judgement in their favour they can leverage it against ip owners/leasees who have real money and lots of clients who don't like to pay to download cobblers.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Understandable mistake- turns out the video that guy had downloaded was "The Gobbler". Despite it featuring numerous cocks (#), Sandler isn't in *that* particular film.

The guy apparently claimed "I might have downloaded The Gobbler, but I draw the line at anything featuring Adam Sandler."

Anyway, I guess one could say that the company's case is a load of...

(puts sunglasses on)

...nonsense.

YEEEEEAAAAA..... whatever.

(#) Of course, a heartwarming tale about a lonesome turkey's attempt to get along with his friends is inevitably going to include plenty of cocks, as well as a supporting cast of hens. What else would a film called "The Gobbler" be about, after all?

1. Huw D

"What else would a film called "The Gobbler" be about, after all?"

A man out on a mission to become the champion eater of all the restaurant food challenges.

Starring Adam Richman.

1. Orv Silver badge

Maybe a sequel to Blood Freak?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon