back to article Well, can't get hacked if your PC doesn't work... McAfee yanks BSoDing Endpoint Security patch

McAfee has pulled a version of its Endpoint Security software after folks reported the antivirus software was crashing their Windows machines. The security giant said it has taken down the August update for Endpoint Security 10.5.4, and is advising anyone who has downloaded it, but not installed, to hold off installing it. " …

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Or better still, just remove McAfee completely.

1. Danny 14

dunno, makes a change it not being sophos. Intercept X was the worse thing we ever put on our systems. Its just plain buggy.

1. Cavehomme_

Sophos

Not sure how buggy it is compared to others, i’ve not had any major issues, but Intercept X detection capability is stellar.

2. Waseem Alkurdi
    Trollface

So, McAfee is being McAfee, where's the news?

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

The sky above the port was the color of a windows PC, halted due to a fatal exception.

"It's not like I'm using McAfee," Case heard someone say, as he shouldered his way through the crowd around the door of the Chat. "It's like my department's developed this massive uptime deficiency." It was a IT Crowd voice and a IT Crowd joke. The Chatsubo was a bar for professional infotech morlocks; you could drink there for a week and never hear two words in normiespeak.

1. Waseem Alkurdi
      Thumb Up

Kudos to you sir!

4. grumpyoldeyore
    Big Brother

Security Well, can't get hacked if your PC doesn't work...

Well your OS and your GUI may be borked, but from what we've learnt recently, the processor manager may still be running....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't this a trademark violation?

It's trademarked Symantec Norton Anti-Network behaviour...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well... It wasnt me!

7. Miss Config

Who uses McAfee ?

I genuinely believed that the only people who used McAfee were non-techies who bought a PC/laptop with McAfee software included as a 'bonus' ( or described as such anyway ). In other words people who did not realise its uselessness OR how to uninstall it.

I am genuinely surprised that any company actually uses it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

Re: Who uses McAfee ?

You are probably unaware of their ePO product and the other big outfit stuff they do. McAfee has a rather better name in corp circles than you might think. To be honest, their enterprise stuff is massive and sometime quite bewildering (I've been "doing it" for about 10 years now). I run Arch on this laptop and my office workstation and can install Gentoo without bothering to refer to a manual but sometimes an ePO can stump me for a while but not for lack of functionality 8)

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

McAfee, also known as Intel Security Group. Yep, only amateurs and home users use Intel products.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Even worse, TPG Capital owns the majority of McAfee since April last year.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This NHS trust used it till recently, they appear to have changed to something else ,but not sure what as no clues on taskbar or taskmanager - its very stealth!

hmm , more likely the "push" has failed , that would not surprise me in the least. They dont pay me enough to give a shit about my own job though , never mind whoevers that is

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The NHS switched to Windows Defender which is built-in to Windows. It was part of a huge new deal with Microsoft. That also explains why you wouldn't see any additional notification area icons for it.

4. StuBlue66

Hmm have to disagree with you there

8. jgarbo
    Linux

Do I need McGaffee on Linux? ;-)

1. Waseem Alkurdi
      Trollface

I know you're kidding, but if a real person asks this question, I'd wipe their machine with a Windows 7 SP1 RTM install and Office 2010, because that person's introduction to Linux must be a terrible mistake that shall not be repeated again.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

9. elvisimprsntr

ATT and a number of ISPs offer McAfee for free under the guise of "protecting" the customer. Most IT folks know things like McAfee route all your DNS requests through their servers to filter content, track your requests, and possibly inject ads.

A properly configured firewall (i.e. pfSense) will route DNS requests and filter traffic so ALL clients are protected, not just the clients with McAfee installed. Clients already have enough performance degradation due to Spectre and Meltdown mitigation without the additional overhead of McAfee bloatware.

1. Waseem Alkurdi
      Alert

Did those ISPs involved consider the remote, possibility that a client might be on a mobile device, or am I being so 2003?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

The cure is worse than the disease...

11. Miss Config
    Meh

McAfee for Linux

Actually McAfee for Linux DOES exist.

Do a simple Google.

( I tried to provide a link to it but for some reason the link kept getting itself misspelt and so 'Not Found'. )

1. kain preacher

Re: McAfee for Linux

Every thing I saw says McAfee for linux is an enterprise solution. Don't worry Norton has you covered.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH105812.html

12. NanoMeter

Can't imagine anyone but noobs who got McAfee new with their computer are using it.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

9 out of 10 times uninstalling McAfee . It's that 10th time that is truly magic. It's like trying to uninstall that STD you got from that crack whore. Your balls will most likely explode first. That 10th time you will never get on the net. Nope just format and reinstall the OS. Oh and Norton, nope don;t try it. I remember Norton had to come out with a special uninstaller you had to download separately. Other wise trying to remove an alien that has attached it's self to your brain stem. Sure you can remove it but it kills you .

The Norton Anti-Virus Removal Tool will allow you to remove a damaged installation of a Norton or Symantec product that will not uninstall properly through the Windows control panel. In the event that Norton becomes damaged by a bad install or due to a virus, it makes it difficult, if not impossible, to uninstall it normally. In situations like this you can use the Norton Removal Tool to scan your computer for all Norton products and completely remove them.

It should be noted that this tool will not prompt you for the products that you wish to uninstall. Therefore, make sure you have all data backed up for your Norton programs before proceeding

14. Terje

Mcafee almost work after you tell it to don't bother looking at anything in the vicinity of visual studio...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And they wanted to

They were the only AV company to bash Kaspersky, begging at the doors of the guberment to fill the void, better off with Defender lol, it might not do much, but it doesn't crash.

16. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Is there a good AV?

....and as usual all the comments are "AV solution "X" is wank , I wouldnt wipe my arse with it , only noobs use it , etc etc ad infinitum.

And its not just the "X" in the article title , all the other brands get a good slagging in the comments.

So tell me smartarses, wtf DO you use for AV? good intentions? user training? a Dr Solomon magazine cover floppydisk ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is there a good AV?

Windows Defender seems to work mostly fine.. but I just run Linux.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like