back to article £1 in every fiver that UK biz, public sector spent on software in 2017 went to *drumroll* Microsoft

Microsoft accounted for almost £1 in every £5 that Brit businesses and the public sector spent on software in 2017, unsurprisingly clinging to the top spot in the spend rankings. The research, published by analyst TechMarketView (TMV), revealed a total of £7.353bn coughed on enterprise software – licensing, maintenance and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

It's because they provide the best.

1. ivan5

That statement must be the joke of the year.

2. Daniel von Asmuth
      Windows

Tates will provide

Microsoft sell that greatest number of licenses and in some cases for high prices. Customer retention is the key, not price/quality. What we would want to know is how much that software increased or decreaed worker productivity.

The future is in the clouds! Buy British Airways.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Second-placed Oracle"

How did they only drop 1%? There are just the worst company ever to deal with. And their "cloud" is a joke.

2. johnnyblaze

Not surprised with the MS money train. Our company paid MS £0.25m last year just for the privilege of running their software. We didn't do any major upgrades, or change anything, but their SA costs have skyrocketed as they try to push businesses to their cloud subscription services and O365 (and don't even talk to me about those).God-dam scheisters!

3. kingwahwah

Shhh or Microsoft will be after the other £7 by more and more price raises.

4. G R Goslin

Don't include me in that.

It's many years since I added money to MS's coffers. Or Apple's, for that matter

1. GrumpenKraut
      Thumb Down

Re: Don't include me in that.

Just got the offer for a new Workstation from my employer (Uni, Germany): Either system with an intel CPU and Windows license or sweet FA (I kid you not).

Easily the 15th Windows license payed by either myself or employer that will never be used.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't include me in that.

"Easily the 15th Windows license payed by either myself or employer that will never be used."

OEM licenses are allowed for in the cost of a Microsoft ELA. They are not worthless.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Watch how the ‘impressive growth in Microsoft’s cloud revenue’ increases their market share next year.

If it doesn’t grow can you please stop shoveling the crap from their PR team down our throats?

Moving dollars internally from unfashionable buckets like licensing to fashionable ones like ‘cloud’ to impress gullible analysts and boost the share price is the oldest trick in the corporate book.

7. Korev Silver badge
    Flame

Not necessarily a bad thing

There are a few things here.

1) Are they paying the right market value for the software and not being ripped off. By which I mean for each SKU rather than if MS Software is a rip off :)

2) If MS software is the best choice, then why begrudge paying money for it. Obviously "best" is very subjective and will be some combination of "best software for the job", cost, "supportability" and what's supported by the vendors of the software that it runs on.

Waits for the flames -->

1. Mark 110

Re: Not necessarily a bad thing

I just think that there's many IT shops that were born and bred on Windows and a migration to something else is to onerous to complicate. Where I'm working now the fact that Marketing insist on having a few Macs on the network causes no end of headaches.

Windows works in most cases (for a small organization with low transactions and vendor supplied apps that need Windows). Wheres the motivation to start a multi-million pound "migrate to Linux" project that will ultimately fail (see Cologne) when the status quo is working just fine.

There's probably a line they could cross with licensing but they are nowhere near it (unlike Oracle who are shedding customers hand over fist apparently).

1. ivan5

"migrate to Linux" project that will ultimately fail (see Cologne) when the status quo is working just fine.

Or conversely look at the French migration of the Gendarmerie to Linux, both workstations and servers. That has been working since 2001. I doubt the MS salesmen even considered passing out the stuffed brown envelopes because doing so would have meant doing time inside unlike Cologne where MS paid for the rejection of Linux.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Or conversely look at the French migration of the Gendarmerie to Linux, both workstations and servers. That has been working since 2001."

That Linux system is only providing "web kiosks" for the front line plod to complete online forms. The French Police still have over 12,000 Windows PCs for doing real work on, and there are no plans to ditch those.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> The French Police still have over 12,000 Windows PCs

The police and the gendarmerie are different organisations. They don't even depend on the same ministries (interior and defense). Stop trolling and spreading FUD. The gendarmerie seems quite happy.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"The police and the gendarmerie are different organisations. They don't even depend on the same ministries (interior and defense). Stop trolling and spreading FUD. The gendarmerie seems quite happy."

Thanks for pointing out the difference. However it is in fact the gendarmerie that still have 12,000 PCs for real work. As a quick Bing of the project details confirms.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"The police and the gendarmerie are different organisations. They don't even depend on the same ministries (interior and defense)."

Not correct. Both are under the control of the ministry of the interior for civilian policing duties.

8. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Meh

"misery looks like Oracle".

Yeah, that makes sense...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Considering I use .NET Core and Skype on Linux (and all my computers are from eBay), I guess I must be costing MS money.

Cheers!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And how much tax did MS pay HMRC ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"And how much tax did MS pay HMRC ?"

More than Google did.

11. John Doe 6

Impressive....

...You ship billions of £ down in Microsoft pocket - and out of the country - and You are happy about it.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: Impressive....

Realistically what's the alternative? Apple, Redhat, Postgres, Java etc. are American too.

As a thought exercise, I tried to see how British I could make the IT. I got as far as running a Raspberry Pi with Ubuntu for the desktops; but there's nothing really to run on them beyond that. That wouldn't get any servers* or storage either.

*I can't think of any UK server selling servers with ARM chips (happy to be corrected)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Eponymous Bastard

%$£

Well thank fuck it didn't go to Apple because it would have bought a lot less.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: %$£

At least they would have looked hip.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That is 99p too much

if you want my opinion and I had the shame to work for that shambles of a company in the 1990's.

HP needs to go away and die.

14. AlgernonFlowers4
    FAIL

Money for Nothing!

Having seen at first hand, it is all to easy for large organisations to carry on paying Microsoft for CALs for users who never logon or have stopped using the system. It took a while to get the message across but let's only pay for accounts that have authenticated on Active Directory in the last quarter and stop giving away money for nothing!

15. Hans 1

£7.353bn

So, imagine for one sec, how much you could squeeze out of, say, Linux Mint, if you donated £1bn ?

Why are they wasting tax payer money? With £7.353bn you could easily finance your very own Linux distribution, with dozens of kernel devs, hundreds of devs and support personnel... over a ten year period!

1. Philip Hands

Re: £7.353bn

> With £7.353bn you could easily finance ...

but anything that went wrong would then be your fault.

16. Philip Hands

the vast majority of which is then spent on marketing

So uk.gov spends about a billion quid on adverts to convince themselves that spending all that money was a good idea.

Brilliant.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why does no-one upvote me any more?

What have I ever done to you?

18. Defiant

This place has a hatred of Microsoft and love everything Linux, he'll they'd marry it if they could

19. Twanky

Don't hold your breath...

...but: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/open-document-format-odf-guidance-for-uk-government

Maybe one day.

1. Twanky
      Facepalm

Re: Don't hold your breath...

Oh Crap!

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/open-document-format-odf-guidance-for-uk-government/updates

'30 March 2017 published amendments

Introduction to Open Document Format (ODF)

This has a new intro as it was unclear software needs to be downloaded before using ODF.'

We're doomed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't hold your breath...

"...but: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/open-document-format-odf-guidance-for-uk-government"

But by far the best ODF client is MS Office!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Real work

Anyone doing real work knows the value of Microsoft and its programmes. It’s far from perfect but gets the job done.

Waits for flames

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like