back to article Miss America 'scholarship program' adds Microsoft Azure developer to lineup

The annual Miss America beauty pageant scholarship program has a tech entry this year, Microsoft developer Allison Farris. Ms Farris, who holds both bachelor's and master's degrees in Management Information Systems from the University of Alabama, has spent the last three years as a Redmond developer in the US capital working …

1. 0laf
    Facepalm

MS DigiGirlz program

DigiGirlz......really?

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: MS DigiGirlz program

It could have been so much worse.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: MS DigiGirlz program

The 'z' was intended to make it sound less patronising.

2. Crisp

What other scholarship program requires "contestants" to wear a low cut evening gown?

They'll be telling us that the love island contestants are serious actors next.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think it's wonderful that her Microsoft development experience isn't being treated as a handicap. It's one more progressive step towards acceptance for these individuals, and shows that they're valued members of society. It helps in their ongoing rehabilitation.

1. Lyndon Hills 1

97 year old contestant

just for a second, I thought there had been a breakthrough in anti-aging products.

4. Teiwaz

Mr Universe Makeover too?

So when are we to expect a similar Mr Universe make-over?

Perhaps some link to traditionally female dominated professions for the big lads.

Hey, to concentrate on one sex over the other is sexist, right?

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: Mr Universe Makeover too?

@ Teiwaz

In the UK we have the University of Cambridge and Stormzy launching black only scholarships-

http://www.continentaltelegraph.com/law/racist-university-of-cambridge-and-stormzy-scholarships-black-only-students/

I guess at least its not sexist? The west seems to be having interesting problems with this equality thing at the moment.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"black only scholarships"? How the French Connection UK is that legal?

1. Happy_Jack

I believe that many scholarship schemes discriminate on the basis of age as well.

2. Chris G

Wasn't Arnie a role model for that working as a nanny?

Perhaps we could see muscle bound midwives or buff bunnies?

The real answer is in a combination of upbringing and early education,stupid discriminatory competitions are not going to change society

5. 0laf

What about...

A proactive program to get more men into teaching especially early years teaching. That might be a good idea to add a bit of balance. Rather than the situation at the moment where any man that expresses an interest in teaching primary aged kids is automatically assumed to be a paedo.

1. JohnFen

Re: What about...

That must be a regional thing. There is no such stigma about male teachers in my neck of the woods.

6. davenewman

Thanks for the link to John Oliver's piece. Hillarious.

7. Anonymous Coward
  8. onefang

I've always said, coding isn't a spectator sport.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like