back to article SentinelOne makes YouTube delete Bsides vid 'cuz it didn't like the way bugs were reported

If you were at BSides Manchester in England this week, you hopefully caught James Williams' presentation on the shortcomings of some commercial antivirus tools. If not, and you hoped to watch it on YouTube, you may be out of luck for a while. That's because one of the vendors mentioned – SentinelOne – is rather upset with the …

1. jake Silver badge

::shrugs::

The entire AV "industry" is in the business of selling snake oil anyway. Properly designed, installed & maintained systems have no need of that kind of overhead.

Edit: Interesting. My daughter just pointed out that SentinelOne doesn't have an article in Wikipedia. She wonders if there was another take down order, and why and when ...

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
      Mushroom

Also

And as usual, fuck youtube for its troll-friendly takedown policies.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ::shrugs::

They used to have a page, but it's a while since the last snapshot:

https://web.archive.org/web/20161229012743/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SentinelOne

1. Notas Badoff

Deleted Aug 2 as 'promotional'. Nominated July 2, so not likely related to timing of ElReg article.

"Non notable and promotional. The various listings as "visionary" all derive from the same source:PR. The other references are just routine financing and similar., and do not satisfy WP:NCORP DGG ( talk ) 23:55, 2 July 2018"

Actually, how lucky they are. There'd have to be a 'Controversies' section after all this, right? (And no, a controversy still doesn't make you notable enough for an article)

3. Wzrd1 Silver badge

My daughter just pointed out that SentinelOne doesn't have an article in Wikipedia.

The foundation is rather vigorous in defending itself via the courts. So, a takedown isn't very likely.

2. John Savard

Well, if the video included a picture of the box it came in...

If this was a DMCA takedown, there are penalties for false accusations.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There are notional penalties, but can you name an occasion they've been applied? Signing the DMCA request under penalty of perjury when you knew (or should have known) it was fair use wasn't enough for penalty IIRC, and nor was signing the request that the computer spat out without even checking whether the supposed reason for takedown was actually there.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. SolidSquid

IIRC that's not even an issue with YouTube, the take down requests are done via their API and aren't actually DMCA requests legally.

2. Proud Father

Isn't it contempt of court to file false legal paperwork?

Would really like to see some legal comeback on false accusations.

3. Maelstorm Bronze badge
    Devil

Streisand Effect?

Interesting, if anyone downloaded it, it should be popping back up pretty soon. Now that they have done this, they will never be able to take it off the net.

4. mark l 2 Silver badge

If I had downloaded it first I would have re-uploaded it to YT from a bunch of different google accounts just to piss off SentinelOne

5. Richard 12 Silver badge

Trademark?

Hah. A video like that cannot possibly breach trademark, because it's not claiming to be from anyone it isn't.

Nor copyright for that matter.

But YouTube don't care about copyright law.

It'll be back up and Streisanded pretty soon. Idiots.

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I hadn't heard about this. Now I have. Thanks, SentinelOne for publicising this. If we search for SentinelOne on Google will we hear about it not liking the way bugs were reported. It would be a real shame if enough people posted about that to get it on first page in Google.

7. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

El Reg to SentinelOne : "Come at me bro..."

8. Cronus

Seems to be available again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYEbhDXgElQ

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The video is now back online.

https://youtu.be/BYEbhDXgElQ

10. Crosby

Vid back up

I’ve tested a few next gen products, and the latest version def detected a morphed mimikatz loaded using reflection ie filelessly.

Looks like had a really old version of S1.

No product is 100% and defence in depth is needed, but S1 was the best we tested using version 2.5. He had 1.8.

And no I am not connected or work for S1 in any way shape or form.

Just my tuppence worth.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Vid back up

Sez the dude/tte who created an ElReg account for this one, single post.

I see your tuppence & raise you a plugged nickle.

11. smalldot

Not surprised

Remember the Youtube video that was 100% white noise, and received five copyright claims? After reading that story I started mentally placing all articles about Youtube in the "entertainment" section.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This might save the curious a tiny bit of effort.

The courts have ruled that "to prevail a plaintiff would need to show bad faith by a rights holder.". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenz_v._Universal_Music_Corp.

"The Duhaime online law dictionary similarly defines bad faith broadly as "intent to deceive", and "a person who intentionally tries to deceive or mislead another in order to gain some advantage"."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_faith#In_law

And there has been at least one $125k payout for abusing the DMCA to suppress the release of hacked emails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Policy_Group_v._Diebold,_Inc.#Verdict

Also of note his his summary which is at 35m:25s in the video which runs contrary to the tone of the headline.

12. PaulR79

When will YouTube stand up for creators?

I may be naive in asking this because I don't create anything myself but if taking this video down was genuinely for bullshit reasons and the guy lost ad revenue due to it being unavailable can SentinelOne not be forced to pay for lost revenue? I don't want to give bad suggestions but (bad suggestion incoming) what if any takedown claims had to be backed up with a chunk of change for any potential earnings lost while the claim is investigated? The larger the organisation requesting it, the bigger the % of change put down.

I'm not blind to legitimate copyright claims and know the volume of them in any given day must be insanely high but the current method of yanking all content just because someone sends in a claim is open to so much abuse.

13. Drew Scriver

Reminds me of the (Australian?) bank that demanded that Qualys' SSLLabs stop returning results for their domain because they didn't like people seeing the rating (F).

14. Aodhhan

A waste of time

Let's see how long it takes for everything to get on the notebook sites and dev sites, such as GitHub.

15. Flakk

New Digs - Well Done

SentinelOne moved to my "Company Spending More on Lawyers Than Product Development" file.

16. EJ

The update should be added to the top of this story, El Reg...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like