back to article Hello darkness my old friend, what happened last week in Redmond?

In a week when NASA flung a spacecraft into space to touch the Sun, Microsoft has brought darkness to Windows 10, given Skype Classic a mission extension, and continued its efforts to send SMB1 screaming into the heart of our nearest star. Windows Insiders: Dark Mode complete! Kind of... It was a bumper week for Windows …

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The Edge browser on mobile remains very much a niche player since Microsoft killed off its own mobile platform.

Even more so given that Edge on Android runs on Chromium, and WebKit on IOS. So, these are essentially ratings for a skin!

1. DryBones

Yeah, it's kinda silly. The rating is essentially reviews. So if they only had one user that had given it a 5, welp.

So pretty much a fart in a hurricane.

2. big_D Silver badge

It is more than just a skin, it is the integration with Edge on Windows - i.e. cross platform browsing experience (syncing passwords, bookmarks, open tabs etc.)... But unless you are using Edge under Windows, there isn't much point using it on Android or iOS.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

It is more than just a skin, it is the integration with Edge on Windows - i.e. cross platform browsing experience

Given that the engine is different, that's sort of debatable. It inevitably means that some stuff is supported on one platform (for example WebP on Android but not on Windows or IOS) but not another so the shared "browsing experience" is basically tabs, passwords and bookmarks.

2. DJV Silver badge

@big_D

"there isn't much point using it on Android or iOS"

In my experience, there's very little point using on Windows, too...

1. Nolveys
          Windows

Re: @big_D

In my experience, there's very little point using on Windows, too...

It's quite useful for downloading other browsers.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mandatory XKCD

App Star-Rating System Flaws

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/tornadoguard.png

2. ewan 3

Good headline

Nothing to say but to acknowledge an excellent headline.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good headline

Another headline or subheading that suggests someone at El Reg is eking out their pension?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. onefang

Re: Good headline

Wrong song though. The first paragraph of the article was -

"In a week when NASA flung a spacecraft into space to touch the Sun, Microsoft has brought darkness to Windows 10, given Skype Classic a mission extension, and continued its efforts to send SMB1 screaming into the heart of our nearest star."

They should have used Pink Floyd's "Set the controls for the heart of the sun".

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

containers

"Developers, who may have been reluctant to move to the Azure App Service, can wrap up their apps in containers and take advantage of the inherent isolation boundaries to do all sorts of naughty things that the Azure App Service might otherwise frown on. Microsoft gives the example of PDF generation components hitting graphics device interface APIs."

Ahh, so we're encouraging shitty programming by selling a service that can isolate the mess. Got it, now I finally understand what containers are all about!

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: containers

yeah about that 'moving to Azure App Service' thing...

a) why code for ".Not" at _ALL_ ??? (I *never* have; it's bloatware on steroids, at its best)

b) with Micro-shaft spinning around in different technological directions from week to week [it seems], why trust them to actually SUPPORT it longer than the 'fad' period?

c) you are being LEVERAGED. The strong-arm tactics will come out, soon enough. Look what happens in Win-10-nic when you try to NOT use a 'windows logon'. Best to avoid it entirely. You'll thank me later.

icon, because, facepalm at Micro-shaft for doing this

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: containers

And that's exactly why I believe sandboxing in Windows 10 Enterprise is all about using containers. Yet more Microsoft in acquisition and re-purposing mode.

4. Mage Silver badge

SMB1: XP & Server2003?

I don't think so if all the SPs & Updates on it

Certainly Win3.x & Win9x needs it.

I can't remember if Win2K works on SMB 2. I can easily check as my Linux server now only provides SMB 2 etc, Win98 can't connect.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: SMB1: XP & Server2003?

Actually I may be confusing LAN Manager vs NT authentication. Win9x may have had nicer GUI, but Win9x/ME was still essentially win3.11 + Win32s and all the 32bit options and media stuff revamped. No security, no creation of named pipes, no VDM or WOW (used native x86 / DOS/win16) so CPU had to switch mode. Direct X was a kludge to allow easy porting of DOS games, originally no OpenGL (but it was on NT).

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

It would make a LOT more sense if Micro-shaft were to ISSUE AN UPDATE for older operating systems to USE SMB2. How hard could THAT be?

Oh, wait - that means NOT forcing you into DOWN-grading to WIn-10-nic! Cannot have THAT, now CAN we???

1. david 12 Silver badge

That's a natural response to the misunderstanding demonstrated by the article. MS isn't trying to get rid of XP and 2003 to get rid of SMB1: it's trying to get rid of SMB1 to get rid of XP and 2003.

XP and 2003 have unpatched networking vulnerabiliities.

Running SMB1 on recent server versions doesn't make sence because SMB1 is chatty and (when encryped and run on TCPIP, as on fully updated versions of Win98) , has poor latency. So the only reason to support SMB1 is for old MS and Samba servers, and that isn't a good reason. MS has no love for Win2K3 and Win98: they would have dropped SMB1 sooner but for the old Samba servers, and that is slowly coming to an end.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows??

That's a blast from the past!

6. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

Dark Theme on Win10?

Bloody Cheek. It it had the desktop GUI/Customisation of XP / Vista / Win7 instead of locked into Win 2.0 on a Hercules card, then there would be no need. Win10 is a dumbed down garbage GUI, designed for monochrome laser reports, not usability. Breaking everything they learnt about GUI from Win 3.1 to Win7. Vista or XP you could make it like Win2K / Win98 / NT 4.0. Yes the "so called" artistic types might think that looks old fashioned, but it's PRODUCTIVE to know if a button is pressed or not. It's productive to instantly spot Tabs, Buttons, default button, links, menus, one off selectors, scroll bars etc rather than have to guess or hover on everything. These GUI designers should have to do real work, and on an 800 x 600 screen, yes "ribbons" and menus that hide less frequently used items, or automatically re-order by usage are ABSOLUTELY evil.

1. EnviableOne

Re: Dark Theme on Win10?

especially if you are using one of these archaic things that sit on your desk with the bane of any designer the 104+ keys placed nicley upon a board and have any clue about a shortcut and how to use it

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Dark Theme on Win10?

"Win10 is a dumbed down garbage GUI, designed for monochrome laser reports, not usability. Breaking everything they learnt about GUI from Win 3.1 to Win7. Vista or XP you could make it like Win2K / Win98 / NT 4.0."

Micro-shaft is WASTING THEIR TIME (and our patience!) by 'Majoring in the Minors' with their chosen "improvements" in the UI. See icon.

I would GREATLY prefer a 3D SKEUOMORPHIC THEME that doesn't have light blue on white as the default UI colors for the "The METRO" CRapps. How about a 'Windows 7' look? Or XP? Or 2K?

As for that light blue on bright white nonsense - here's some actual EVIDENCE of what I've been *SCREAMING* about for a while - it's VERY bad for your eyes!

3. Bibbit

Don't talk to me about Ribbons

I can still have the echo of my silent internal howl when that was done in AutoCAD.

In workspace no-one can hear you scream...

7. Tom Melly

Skype - what is going on

What is it with Skype and MS? I mean, at this point I just vaguely assume they hate it and want us to hate it too.

How is it possible to take a fairly simple, established, concept, and produce an interface that's so confusing and so badly laid out that each time I use the damn thing, I find myself flailing around trying to spot how to send a text message or share a screen.

Recent versions are increasingly unreliable when it comes to relaying messages.

Is this seriously a product MS wants us to use?

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Skype - what is going on

All the diehard Skype users that wouldn't switch to QQ, when MS started breaking Skype now seem to be on Viber.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

my 94 y/o, housebound, slightly suffering from dementia and somewhat deaf father in law uses skype, via a headset to keep in touch with family members and friends - both at home and overseas.

It had a wonderful, simple user interface - couple of nice big buttons and a nice easy contact list. But each version that comes out wants to feck up this interface and make the thing so complicated. It gives all the computer-literate mebers of his family nightmares as we have to explain over and over again why it has suddenly changed and no longer works like it used to. It's like someone bring out a brand new remote control for his TV every few months, with all the useful buttons removed and everything else changed round.

By all means, bring out new vesrions and fill them with bling ridden shit, but don't force this onto those who are perfectly served by existing arrangements.

1. Chris G

"By all means, bring out new vesrions and fill them with bling ridden shit, but don't force this onto those who are perfectly served by existing arrangements."

Unfortunately it is standard MS practice to 'evolve' everything whether it needs it or not, the free Outlook had a beta option for yonks, suddenly they just changed my email to the beta and called it the new shiny, apart from it not loading, not deleting old emails ( or should I say the old emails kept coming back after deletion). Now of course the new version is more cluttered less useful but we must have it.

I can't be arsed to change as so many contacts know this one including many who are no longer on my contact list, (Thanks MS).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I got the distinct displeasure of experiencing the beta Outlook website last night. I only check in about once a week on my old business and personal accounts. I really don't need the works re-jiggered all the time. Bad enough Google and Yahoo! doing the same.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It looks Nadella hates whatever was acquired before he gained the throne, and he's looking for ways to have users run away from the products so he can kill them blaming someone else. Or maybe he just put the wrong people managing the products - those thinking users are only a bunch of teenagers chatting via emojis. There was also the issue part of it was written in Delphi, and they had to move to a different platform and obviously selected one of the dreadful javascript frameworks so fashionable today.

It's incredible how much they wasted with Skype. I'm happy I refused some time ago to work on it...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

had to move to a different platform and obviously selected one of the dreadful javascript frameworks so fashionable today.

Ugh.

Just be grateful it wasn't one of their own.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thank you Microsoft... You helped free us from reliance on you...

Everyone I now know has made the switch to Signal + LinuxMint.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
        Unhappy

Everyone I now know has made the switch to Signal + LinuxMint.

You neglected to mention Android or iOS, one or both of which are required to use this. So it is not really a replacement for Skype after all.

1. onefang

"You neglected to mention Android or iOS, one or both of which are required to use this. So it is not really a replacement for Skype after all."

I guess you are talking about Signal, which has a desktop client that runs under Linux at least. I think it runs under Mac OS and Windows to. Though it just seems to be a skin around Chrome. So no, you don't need Android or iOS to run Signal.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

@onefang -- Re: Skype - what is going on

I guess you are talking about Signal, which has a desktop client that runs under Linux at least. I think it runs under Mac OS and Windows to [sic].

That's true...if you also have it installed on an Android or iOS device (RTFM). So, if you don't (or can't) install it on your "smart phone", you can't use it. As such, it is not really a replacement for Skype after all, as Skype has no such requirement.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

'if you don't install it (Signal) on your "smart phone", you can't use it'

WRONG!!! You can run Signal Desktop without a smartphone.

Desktop hasn't got all of the same features yet, but its coming:

https://www.reddit.com/r/signal/comments/7gsqic/no_smart_phone/

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: 'if you don't (or can't) install it on your "smart phone", you can't use it'

If the solution is "Not officially. Signal Desktop can be used without a smartphone if you enable development mode." - with some more caveats, it's really not really a solution, it's a workaround, but it still means it does require a smartphone, and it makes me think Signal too wants your phone number (a pretty unique identifier), and that makes it a nasty app just like all the others.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

'that makes it a nasty app just like all the others'

Signal is open-source not closed like Skype. Financially its backed by one of WhatsApp founders who left due to Privacy concerns (Zuck wants to pry open WhatsApp messages etc).

The Signal forums cover how to use a temporary / disposable SIM. Plus there are plans to change this to a more conventional email / login / password friendly system. But for sure, there's no 'trust forever' model on the net, so trust but verify everyday.

Signal is still the best option for now, as Telegram is looking ropey and most other options aren't free... I used Skype for a long time, but MS couldn't stop hitting the kill-switch, which made it hard to stay in touch with people who need help maintaining a PC or who don't see any benefit in upgrading to 64-Bit / Win10.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Everyone I now know has made the switch to Signal + LinuxMint."

Yes, it happens, when you know very, very few people... in the wider world things are still a bit different <G>

8. JohnFen

That's so cute

" it certainly wasn’t by number of downloads, but rather in terms of ranking."

It's so cute that they seem to think those rankings actually mean anything.

"Developers, who may have been reluctant to move to the Azure App Service, can wrap up their apps in containers and take advantage of the inherent isolation boundaries to do all sorts of naughty things that the Azure App Service might otherwise frown on"

If developers aren't interested in Azure, then why in the world would they want to wrap their apps up? This seems like the sort of thing more likely to be used by developers who are already interested in Azure, but can't afford the time or expense of actually modifying their applications.

1. onefang
      Holmes

Re: That's so cute

"It's so cute that they seem to think those rankings actually mean anything."

So the rankings for Chrome, which is basically forced onto a lot of Android gear; are lower than Edge for Android, where only the people that want it install it. I'm not surprised at all.

9. Barry Rueger

Skype? Ha ha ha!

Just this week...

Android phone: installed and working great.

Mint Linux box: installed and working great.

Windows 10 HP laptop, pre-installed: believes that another application is using the web cam, and simply cannot find the microphone.

Seriously Microsoft?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Skype? Ha ha ha!

"believes that another application is using the web cam"

that's just the spyware. you can ignore it being there. It won't watch you doing anything that you don't want posted on 'teh intarwebs' if you don't send 5,000 bitcoin to a particular wallet...

10. fobobob

Skype, in my sphere, died (after being on life support for years) the day they started wasting gobs of screen space with 'chat bubbles' and other such ancillary crap that can't be turned off. I would like to be able to see more than 10 lines of text on a 1920x1080 display.

1. JohnFen

Skype, in my sphere, died the moment that it ceased to allow point-to-point communications.

11. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

RIP Skype

In memorium for the day that MS bought the thing and started to totally F*** it up.

Now a mere ghost of its former self as user exit stage left and use other products that actually work. Just like Skype once did. Funny that.

12. Someone Else Silver badge

What's in a name?

Now referred to as 19H1 rather than Redstone 6 [...]

19H1 sounds like a new strain of the flu.1

1 Truth in advertising, I suppose...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like