back to article What do a meth, coke, molly, heroin stash and Vegas allegedly have in common? Broadcom cofounder Henry Nicolas

Broadcom billionaire cofounder Henry Nicholas was this week cuffed on suspicion of drug trafficking – after cops allegedly seized a huge stash of narcotics in his Las Vegas hotel suite. The chip design giant's 59-year-old ex-CEO and his companion Ashley Fargo were arrested on Tuesday night after security staff at the Encore …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a fair cop

Statute of limitations must be up for the bnx2 linux driver, so they went for this instead.

2. elDog

Another affluenza victim, shirley.

We all know the feeling when we get several billions in our bank accounts - it's just really hard to think rationally. And there are all our new friends who want to help us deal with the trauma and stress.

I understand that in the country/state where he was nabbed along with miss "Fargo" (of Wells and Fargos fame) just appearing to court in a car worth more than the possible bail-bond means he/she can walk free on personal recognizance. Of course, looking at that wasted face, he'd always be recognizable.

Henry - quick - make a big donation to the Trump Organization. All your legal (federal) worries will be absolved.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Another affluenza victim, shirley.

Trump can't do anything for him in Nevada though, other than make a phone call to the governor or DA. However, I am sure that for a modest consideration, the state and county authorities in Nevada can be convinced to take the position that "boys will be boys".

(Icon shows Nicolas hanging up the orange jumpsuit with "Las Vegas/Clark County Jail" stamped on the back. He won't be needing that.)

1. Mark 85

Trump can't do anything for him in Nevada though,

Not at this point anyway. But if he's convicted, a pardon could be arranged.....

1. Geoffrey W

If who is convicted? Trump or Nicolas? A toss up at the mo...

2. Justin S.

Re: But if he's convicted, a pardon could be arranged.....

Only if he's convicted in Federal court; the president has no power to pardon those convicted in State courts.

2. Sceptic Tank Silver badge

I don't understand the Trump connection?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Trump connection is because a growing number of former campaign or administration staffers are being convicted of various crimes, as Mueller slowly works his way up to the top.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

as Mueller slowly works his way up to the top

At some point he's probably going to have to meet himself then.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Trump connection is that obsessives can't stop themselves from forcing Trump into every article.

A similar affliction affects people who are obsessed with the fact that the United Kingdom is leaving the European union and can't stop telling people why they think it's a bad idea on articles which have no other connection.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A similar affliction affects people who are obsessed with the fact that the United Kingdom is leaving the European union and can't stop telling people why they think it's a bad idea on articles which have no other connection.

Something which, as it turns out, seems to be affecting you as well

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

In this context it was on topic. From that individual post it's not possible to determine which way I even voted - just that I'm sick of the constant trolling.

3. Cris E

The two are nothing alike: Nicolas actually has a pile of money, and that skeezy hair looks real.

3. unbearable

Yet another corporate founder that is too big to fail.

4. jmch Silver badge

"Nicolas has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing."

OK, we're talking industrial quantities here but I guess the guy was hosting a party.

Drug use, hiring of prostitutes and custom-building party venues all range between A-OK to mildly dubious, and depending on what part of the world you're in, could all be legal. I wouldn't class any of that as "wrongdoing"

The only one of that list of alleged "wrongdoings" that I would consider "wrong" (actually, very, highly wrong and definitely criminal) is spiking drinks.

"affluenza victim"

Better spending it on drugs, booze and hookers for himself and his buddies than running for presidency and running a country to the ground

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

The cops missed busting John McAfee at the same time...

At the time, he was probably out buying pizza, Doritos and gentleman Jack so they could come down smooth off their drug high!!

4. Florida1920

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

Who says you can't make this stuff up? Is Johnny Depp old enough to play Nicolas in Part 2?

5. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Unhappy

and this appears to be

yet another example of what's horribly, horribly wrong at the core of Silicon Valley aka "Silly Valley".

1. Geoffrey W

Re: and this appears to be

It's more an example of what's at the core of human beings (horribly wrong or right or neutral), given the opportunity; not just silicon valley. There are plenty of examples at all levels of society and in all occupations. I'm glad I'm not a billionaire, or even a mere millionaire - I'd likely be dead by now. Which I probably wouldn't enjoy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why on earth is there anything wrong at all with two humans deciding that putting drugs into their body makes them feel good, and doing so? :O

1. chivo243 Silver badge
          Trollface

@AC

Are you referring to McAfee and Nicholas?

1. K
            Devil

@chivo243

I was just thinking of McAfee...

I was recently in Vegas on Honeymoon, so couldn't partake in any of the wild stuff. But OMFG.. I think I've decided what my mid-life crisis should be - To party with Nichols and McAfee, holysh*t it would be epic. Also probably my last week on earth if the wife found out!

1. K

Ahh I forgot one, I also need to add Charlie Sheen to the Midlife Crisis Party Dream Team!

2. Rob Gr

That's kind of irrelevant, as there appear to have been sufficient quantities to look like trafficking.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

whats irrelevent Rob? Due to Reg's poor threading system i have no idea which comment you are referring to.

I think its pretty obvious it isnt trafficking tho right?

2. JulieM Silver badge

It's unlikely to be anything more complicated than money.

Some people just have self-destructive tendencies. Having more money enables people to behave more self-destructively. Whether it's lighter fuel, strong cheap cider and skateboards, or cocaine, champagne and aeroplanes, it's the same fundamental instinct underneath it. Just for higher stakes.

6. kuiash

Optional

Man. Enough drugs for a major party, or, maybe just enough to keep going for a day or 2 to a major fiend.

This sounds like compulsion, not indulgence.

This guy needs to slow up (or stop) or he's going to burn out physically (and mentally).

He's stuck in groundhog day. I bet he couldn't help himself (or not help himself).

1. jmch Silver badge

Re: Optional

"Enough drugs for a major party"

From the original Las Vegas drug fiend...

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

" claim Nicholas would regularly spike the drinks of staff and customers with MDMA,"

Yo' jus jealous cuz you didn't think of it first.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"would regularly spike the drinks of staff and customers with MDMA"

OK doing the staff was wrong but let's be honest I don't think he's the only one who's fed their (potential) customers something.

Come on, how else could you explain some of the f**k brained IT procurements over the years.

8. dnicholas

It isn't easy with billions and no meaningful purpose

Lifestyles of the rich and the famous

They're always complainin'

Always complainin'

If money is such a problem

Well they got mansions

Think we should rob them

9. Version 1.0 Silver badge

It's the money

Every rich person I've known has either been a metal 'uckup or is spending their life worried/scared that they are going to fall from grace with Mammon. Having too much money is like having too much dope, a little is nice and entertaining, but if you get too much you OD.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's the money

The only millionaire I know doesn’t suffer from either of your problems, but he would be the first to point out the dangers of assuming anything with a sample size of 1.

2. LucreLout

Re: It's the money

Every rich person I've known

Any chance you could define "rich" please? Just for the purposes of your post, as opposed to anything to argue over. The reason I ask is that what I once thought of as "rich enough to get out of the game" isn't actually enough to get out of the game. I'm thinking to be coke & hokers in Vegas rich, you'd need at least say, £5 million?

or is spending their life worried/scared that they are going to fall from grace with Mammon

Its taken me about 20 years since I learned how money works to make my headline target amount. I could do it again, though I'd be retirement age by the time I finished, so ageism could knacker that. Self made wealthy people who got there through hard work and smart investing, as opposed to inheritance or one "good" idea (farcebook for example) don't seem to be as worried about losing their wealth as they know their personal formula for getting wealthy works.

To preserve my gains, I simply avoid lawyers, and non-mortgage debt. Stay away from those two things and your likelihood of going broke isn't high. You could always fund a ltd company and hold some assets in that, thus limiting the damage done should the dogs of law shit upon your lawn.

I worry about my family, and my friends. I don't worry about what happens to my money - you can't take it with you, so its all going to get passed on to my children, favoured charities, or spent before I go. Financially speaking, dying in debt is winning, not dying with millions in the bank.

10. Kane
    Coat

Gelfling Lives!

I thought the Gelfling were wiped out by the Skeksis!

Mines the one with the shard in the pocket...

11. JulieM Silver badge

Not very flattering pictures

He looks like he's in the painful, terminal stages of constipation. She looks like a bad CGI rendering.

I'm sure they deliberately choose, and possibly doctor, pictures of "villains" to make the observer dislike them.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Not very flattering pictures

Usually it depends how rich they are, what neighbourhood they come from, and their skin colour.

12. JLV

a sympathetic character...

until the California 3 strikes felony laws. yup, those that occasionally send pizza shoplifters for life.

a**hole

1. Justin S.

Re: a sympathetic character...

Fun fact: in 2004, Nicholas campaigned against California Proposition 66, which would have dialed-back California's "three strikes" law. I'd say it was a good thing he was arrested in Nevada, but it looks like they have their own version of three-strikes.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let the man enjoy his billions!!

14. C. P. Cosgrove
    Facepalm

?

" after security staff at the Encore Hotel apparently found the contraband in his suite"

As Counsel for the Defence I have to ask how did this come about and on what grounds were security staff searching a guest's rooms ?

Sounds like unlawful search to me.

Chris Cosgrove

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: ?

Most likely the housekeeping staff reported what they saw and that allowed security staff to be dispatched by the hotels owners to the rooms which they own to confirm whether something illegal might be going down in their building (which, for clarification, they own).

2. phuzz Silver badge

Re: ?

Since that arsehole shot a bunch of people last year, apparently Las Vegas hotels are sending security round to check all the rooms on a regular basis.

Some info

15. Alan Brown Silver badge

Some stories are just stories

Aircraft oxygen masks only have 5-10 minutes worth (even pilot ones). They're simply there to get from high altitudes to below 10,000 feet without losing conciousness

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

So when the passengers got high the pilots decided to get low

Sounds like common sense to me.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Some stories are just stories

"Aircraft oxygen masks only have 5-10 minutes worth (even pilot ones). They're simply there to get from high altitudes to below 10,000 feet without losing conciousness"

..... at which point, they are no longer relying on air from inside the plane....

3. Korev Silver badge

Pilots often have oxygen cylinders ready for use if they need them; us plebs in the back have those masks with bags that don’t inflate

4. EveryTime

> "Aircraft oxygen masks only have 5-10 minutes worth (even pilot ones). They're simply there to get from high altitudes to below 10,000 feet without losing conciousness"

The ones provided for commercial aircraft passengers are only sufficient to keep people alive, not necessarily conscious, while the pilots take an emergency dive to a lower pressure altitude. If you are in good condition you'll probably remain alert, but the typical person might not be able to function well.

The oxygen provided for the pilots will keep them alert for several hours, or even the entire endurance time of the aircraft.

Private planes occasionally have oxygen for twice the endurance time so that they don't have to be concerned about oxygen tank refills on a round trip.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"The oxygen provided for the pilots will keep them alert for several hours, or even the entire endurance time of the aircraft."

That's a fairly common fallacy.

The oxygen provided for the pilots on commericial flights is seperated from the supply for the passengers (and from the other pilot), but it isn't a long-duration supply and it's usually the same perchorlate burner as is used in the back.

The primary reason for restricting the amount of oxygen on board to the minimum possible required to get down to a safe altitude is demonstrated _here_: http://avherald.com/h?article=44078aa7/0000

Yes, specific flights may have longer duration supplies, but they're carried and secured differently(*), and must be made available to all bodies on board - or else you're going to arrive at the destination with just that - bodies. Giving the pilots an oxygen supply which substantially outlasts the passenger one is an invitation for exactly that kind of aviation incident.

(*) Supplementary oxygen for sustained unpressurised flights above 10,000 feet, etc. It's expensive, requires special installation+training and _extremely_ tiring to use. Generally you only do it for things like photographic survey flights and stuff like that. Parachute trucks just have everyone use personal bottles for the short time getting up to altitude for HALO drops, if they bother at all.

16. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Because there has to be more to being loaded.

"coke, meth, heroin"

When you're that loaded you need to get loaded more?

1. Munchausen's proxy
      Pint

Re: Because there has to be more to being loaded.

> "coke, meth, heroin"

> When you're that loaded you need to get loaded more?

" There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon. Probably at the next gas station.” -- Hunter S. Thompson

17. Jock in a Frock

Re: Seems like a good idea...

John McAfee - "I've spent a fortune on drugs and hookers"

Nicholas - "Hold my beer...."

1. Korev Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Seems like a good idea...

John McAfee - "I've spent a fortune on drugs and hookers"

The rest he just squandered....

18. Bibbit

That chap's face...

He has a post-celebration face alright. "Argh! The light! It burnsssss."

You've got to fight...for your right...

19. Long John Brass
    Windows

Other than...

The spiking of other peoples drinks; Who the hell cares about what they were spending their money on?

Hookers & blow? So what! I'm guessing the stash was personal use based solely on their hungover mugshots!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Other than...

Who the hell cares about what they were spending their money on?

Manufactured outrage buoys the news in 2018.

People are now used to let their holier-than-you attitude hang out all day flapping in the wind while getting dripfed some twitter inanities.

20. E_Nigma

Depending on the actual quantity, he might have a plausible "personal use" defence, even if the quantities are a bit larger than normal. It makes more sense that a billionaire addict (with well known legitimate source of wealth) would buy larger amounts in order to not have to run to his dealer every couple of days, than that he'd want to become a petty dealer himself. (I doubt many serious drug bosses would allow themselves to be caught with a big stash in their hotel rooms).

In that case, he should get a matching sentence.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon