back to article Better late than never: nbn™ DOCSIS 3.1 upgrade starts

DOCSIS 3.1 has finally landed in Australia, courtesy of a currently-limited rollout to HFC-connected National Broadband Network (NBN) customers. Network-builder nbn™ hasn't announced where the service is being enabled, but said the deployment will reduce its reliance on node-splitting to meet its performance targets, and said …

1. Sampler

But we're not going to tell you..

..who's getting it first, in case they see no change in performance and complain about it online..

1. Adam 1

Re: But we're not going to tell you..

No-one is going to get better performance out of it. They've admitted that they will use it to cut the pie into smaller pieces rather than give users more bandwidth. Sorry, how did they put it? "double the capacity".

2. joed

I bet they'll get no change in performance (unless they paid extra) and will complain about the cost of having to purchase new modem (I did when I was forced onto 3.0). Some of new technologies are just an excuse for inflating the price of the service.

1. Clunking Fist

...no change in performance

Vodafone went DOCSIS3.1 on their suburban Wellington NZ network. I get (and pay for) 800/100 unlimited.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah Australian broadband.

The only developed country that makes the US system look good.

4. alexmcm

Could NBN just please forget about me. I'm on Telstra cable, and perfectly happy with my 130MB download, and 2 MB upload speeds.. Please just piss off, I see you're planning to trash my connection around 2019, but just don't. It is fine, fuck off

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As you are no doubt aware, NBN is upgrading the cable nodes, so that when the other users are added to your cable you won't see the congestions other cable users are now seeing when ADSL is decommissioned.

5. JJKing
    Facepalm

No title

Could NBN just please forget about me. I'm on Telstra cable

I have a friend who has the same feelings about his Optus cable connection. He is in a street with only 6 other houses running off the cable and does not want to change for both speed and price reasons. His only advantage in the change will be a faster up speed.

I wish you well when the inevitable happens alexmcm. What a clusterfuck this rollout has been.

6. Concerned but optimistic

I got an unexpected upgrade to 5Mbps Uplink on my Telstra Cable a few months ago without changing anything at home. I suspect this is the prelude to the proper Docsis 3.1 Uplink lift to 20Mbs

7. DanielR

I find it amazing. They are trying to implement snake oil to cover up the need to split nodes. Sorry, you are going to have to do that too.

This is not going to fix the connection problems I have experienced with both Telstra non NBN HFC and TPG NBN HFC.

Telstra - Extremely random disconnections without warning which could take anywhere between 3 hours, 6 hours or 3 days to reconnect !

TPG - Daily PPPoe disconnections. About 10 per day for 5 minutes each. Modem lights not flashing. You can't even login to a console to check a status with Arris.

Just reduce all this complexicity and provide full FTTP direct to a SFP port on an EdgeRouter FFS. Stop mucking around with experiments and provide a professional connection.

8. DanielR

They claim the upstream has been the problem for years not the actual coax and Foxtel stealing most of the channel bandwidth !!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon