back to article NAND we'll send foreign tech packing, says China of Xtacking: DRAM-speed... but light on layer-stacking

China’s state-backed 3D NAND fabber, YMTC, has claimed it will bring out memory speed flash chips next year. nerd with briefcase Intel to Tsinghua: I know Micron didn't work out – please buy our 3D NAND READ MORE Yangtze Memory Technologies Co (YMTC) is developing a 64-layer 3D NAND with a potential 3Gbit/s data access speed …

1. a_mu

interleave

so whats the bet they have the same number of layers,

but address them in threes,

with an input / output mux

Hidden in the burst nature of ddr4 access ?

to me that would be great, I'd find a big use for them in video

but no magic

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: interleave

That's pretty much how you see SSDs with speeds of multiple gigabits per second even though the individual chips have speeds measured in hundreds of megabits. The only advantage of faster chips is you can make smaller devices faster...making bigger devices faster than SATA's 6 Gbps max has been possible for years now.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Bandwidth / Latency

Speed is a bit vague. 3Gb/s measures bandwidth. DRAM's valuable feature over flash is low latency. If they want to claim a similar "speed" to DRAM they should demonstrate comparable latency.

3. Chris Mellor 1

Jim Handy mailed me saying: "It’s hard to understand why this would improve manufacturing times as they say. The chip still has to go through the same processes, the slowest of which involve building and etching all of those layers."

Chris.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like